PS/2 Keyboard for old PC with high KRO

Bjerrk

20 Feb 2022, 22:12

Palatino wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 21:10
Bjerrk wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 17:11
I own both Ellipse's F77 repro and IBM Model Fs, but I still use a Unicomp Model M daily :-) No farewell kiss there.
Would you ever sell your F77 then? I’ve got an itch for one developing, but don’t want to wait however long it would take if I ordered one now.
I've grown too attached to it (and it's one of my favourite keyboards! Ellipse really did a splendid job there). The Models F and M are all marvelous. Lately I've been using the Fs at home and an M at work.

Mcin

22 Feb 2022, 00:09

Thatnks for all the replies, quick summary from me.

1. We went a bit off-topic, ain't we ;) Model M is out of scope, as it has too low KRO. Yep, I even contacted Unicopm support. Model F looks fun, but both old models and replicas are very expensive.

2. LambdaCore is right that 50$ is in the cheap range (way more than I ever paid for a keyboard IMHO), but as I'd say 100$ Is a barrier that I've set for myself as I lost hope for finding anything a lot below that margin

3. Modern keyboards are ok, as long as they have that retro-look and meet other requirements that I've set. So, for example, Topre Realforce looks cool, but new are way too expensive and no chance finding one in Poland in some scrapyard.

4. I actually prefer to have windows keys. 104 buttons or more is preferred, although I'd live with 101 keyboard.

5. Omnikey 101 have to be imported and Is going too expensive on auctions.

6. From new recomendations, Focus 2001 is probably the closest bet. Might hit the price tag and can be found in Poland 9I checked archiwum allegro to look for old auctions and well, there were some).

There is one Focus 5001 on auction, but No KRO info on wiki -> thus I assume 2KRO.

7. Cherry G80-3000 was distributed in Poland and would have barely met price limit, but It's out of stock everywhere. https://www.morele.net/klawiatura-cherr ... -0-775080/

there's still a s***load of old keyboards on auctions like https://www.olx.pl/d/oferta/klawiatura- ... 399c43067e but be smart and say what's the KRO ^^

xxhellfirexx

22 Feb 2022, 01:13

Have you looked at these keyboards? They have a standard IBM extended layout, have NKRO, and work over PS/2 with an active 5-pin DIN to PS/2 adapter. You should be able to find these at around $40 to $50 USD, not including shipping.

wiki/NMB_RT-100/RT-8200_series
wiki/NEC_APC-H412

Mcin

22 Feb 2022, 01:34

Promising. NMB RT-100/RT-8200 series is told to appear under "various" branding. which brands should I look for?

Palatino

22 Feb 2022, 10:57

I have a NEC APC-H412 for sale if you’re interested.

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2022, 16:32

The one with the missing Num Lock key? ;)

NEC blue ovals are certainly able to meet your criteria. I was considering buying that very keyboard myself for a while…

Mcin

22 Feb 2022, 17:53

@Palatino PM me the details, please and I'll consider it.

Palatino

22 Feb 2022, 22:30

Will do.

Mcin

12 Jun 2022, 20:02

Hi Y'all, further question - which of these might be NKRO - or other very high KRO

Heroic (syncan buckling springs)
Dell Quietkey
Acer 6312
Fujitsu Peerless
Gateway Anykey
Futaba MA
NTC 6153EA

Yes, I haven't bought anything yet.

Polecat

12 Jun 2022, 23:37

Mcin wrote:
Hi Y'all, further question - which of these might be NKRO - or other very high KRO

Dell Quietkey
Acer 6312
Fujitsu Peerless
Gateway Anykey
Futaba MA
NTC 6153EA

Fujitsu Peerless and Futaba MA are switches. NKRO has nothing to do with switches. Do you even know what NKRO is, or if you really need it? I couldn't tell you which of my keyboards have it, and which don't, other than the Gen3 Northgates that have it spelled out on the PC board. Not something I've ever worried about.

Mcin

14 Jun 2022, 20:11

I'm aware that these are switches, yet still, number of boards based on them is limited, and for none of them I was able to find the information required. Sorry for not being precise this time.

I stated my reasons why I need NKRO - or at least a high one - in my first post.

Muirium
µ

14 Jun 2022, 23:50

Rollover is one of those things you don’t care about at all, until a bad one comes over and smacks you around a bit. That’ll get your attention!

Terminal 120 key Model M in my case. Hey, he was a big fella!

Mcin

19 Oct 2022, 22:33

Ok, so last question - is Palatino alive? I wrote him that I finaly decided to go with NEC APC-H412 he offered, but he stopped replying to PM's ...
Yep, I still am.

Arto

22 Oct 2022, 01:11

I own a model F XT from Poland and i have restored it with new foam, I have been thinking about parting with it since it is just collecting dust right now(don't like the Polish layout).

I am looking for a Swedish version instead of using it so it is just sitting there.

Muirium
µ

22 Oct 2022, 12:12

The only difference is caps, right?
Mcin wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 22:33
Ok, so last question - is Palatino alive? I wrote him that I finaly decided to go with NEC APC-H412 he offered, but he stopped replying to PM's ...
Yep, I still am.
I suspect Palatino is fine and well. It’s DT’s email notification system that’s dead in a ditch. We may have an active mod team now, but the sysadmin side is still mighty sleepy. :roll:

LambdaCore

10 Nov 2022, 05:03

If you don't mind having a few concessions on the layout, the Model F AT with a passive converter is a good bet.

Mcin

08 Dec 2022, 19:28

Checked that - Model F is too far away in terms of layout for my needs, but thanks for proposal.
If anyone could reach Palatino by any means, I'd be grateful - boards send e-mail seems not to be functional anymore.

ifohancroft

03 Jan 2023, 10:05

Mcin wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 19:28
Checked that - Model F is too far away in terms of layout for my needs, but thanks for proposal.
If anyone could reach Palatino by any means, I'd be grateful - boards send e-mail seems not to be functional anymore.
He disappears every couple of months for a couple of months with no other way to contact him outside of Deskthority unfortunately. I'm waiting for a reply from him as well.

Maledicted

04 Jan 2023, 03:52

Mcin wrote:

Dell Quietkey
Acer 6312
Fujitsu Peerless
Gateway Anykey
Futaba MA
NTC 6153EA

I dug out some of my most affordable/common (currently functioning) vintage boards with relatively modern layouts and pleasant switches and tested them with either a Soarer's converter or a random generic Amazon USB converter. I have no idea if that generic converter supports n-key or not, but very few of these boards have ps/2 connectors and/or issues working with the Soarer's converter anyway.

My Fujitsu FKB4700 (Fujitsu Peerless) does not have it.
My NMB AQ6MEMB-7400+ (NMB dome with slider) does not have it.
My rebranded Chicony KB-5181 (SMK second generation) does not have it.
My NMB RT8255C+ (clicky Space Invaders) does not have it ... it even appears to be 4KRO at best in most circumstances.
My rebranded Maxi-Switch ME 101 (Maxi-Switch dome with slider) does not have it.
My NTC KB-6151 (SKCM white Alps, unsure of exact model number, has a left side f key block) does not have it.
My Packard Bell BTC 51 (BTC dome with slider) does not have it.
My Focus FK-2001 (SKCM white Alps) does not have it ... although it does better than some others.
My Focus FK-7200 (Focus dome with slider) does not have it.

I did verify with one of my NEC APC-H412 boards that it did, and (with the exception of complicated Alps) they're my favorite of the bunch anyway. NEC blue ovals are a really exceptional vintage clicky switch, and they can still be had for a reasonable price. They're worth waiting for. One of my two boards is pretty scratchy though (haven't cleaned either), so that might be a problem you encounter.

Futaba MA switches are really not even worth bothering with. I have a Samsung board with them that I couldn't test with because I have had it in pieces for years trying and failing to make all of the switches clicky again with that screwdriver trick.

Never really run into any problems with rollover in my life, but to each their own. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

fohat
Elder Messenger

04 Jan 2023, 04:35

You can't do better than Northgate Omnikey 101s.
Attachments
Omnikey-PCB-rollover.jpg
Omnikey-PCB-rollover.jpg (341.51 KiB) Viewed 11763 times

Maledicted

04 Jan 2023, 04:53

Hey fohat. Those boat anchors are even more expensive than they used to be though, as amazing as they are. I'm sure I didn't help ... I have a literal pile of Omnikey 101 and 102 boards.

davkol

05 Jan 2023, 23:53

Uh, I get it, this is Deskthority, but…

There are modern keyboards with those grey/beige color schemes. For instance, Leopold FC900R PD in "Two Tone White"; I believe it's still backward-compatible with PS/2.

Even if that's too good (hence a tad bit expensive), there are new cheap keycap sets like Tai-Hao's with that kind of color scheme, or keycaps obviously can be harvested too, and put on a modern keyboard. Many of the early 2010s' "gaming" models were PS/2-compatible (and if not, making a ¿TMK? converter shouldn't be that hard). As for the case color, paint is always an option… which reminds me of dying PBT keycaps as well.

Mcin

14 Feb 2023, 18:53

Maledicted wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 04:53
Hey fohat. Those boat anchors are even more expensive than they used to be though, as amazing as they are. I'm sure I didn't help ... I have a literal pile of Omnikey 101 and 102 boards.
Actually, based on the they look fine. The only drawback is lack of windows key that I can live without. But the price is deadly :>

guidemetothelight

15 Feb 2023, 08:17

Muirium wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 12:40
Looking at those Bluetooth Niz boards—and suspending my WTF-grade disbelief about the seminal name!—the layouts and the caps both put me off. Now, if they were £50 boards like you say, I'd be much more tempted. But they're HHKB money! :lol:
same goes for me, i would love to try out a wired ISO Layout NIZ, for money i can justify....

guidemetothelight

15 Feb 2023, 08:21

Palatino wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 21:07
Is there a bad board with PBT keycaps? (Genuine question).
Cherry G81-3000-SAD :D

Muirium
µ

15 Feb 2023, 15:58

All G81 models graced with dyesub caps! That’s where mine come from and they ain’t never going back.

Acer keyboards are a nice, guilt free source for Alps mount PBT caps, as Acer switches aren’t MY bad but they’re not good either.

Generally, though, PBT caps correlate well with nice keyboards. The exceptions are the ones we forcibly resolve! :evilgeek:

mmm

15 Feb 2023, 20:09

Palatino wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 21:07
Is there a bad board with PBT keycaps? (Genuine question).
As far as I recall the Datalux Spacesaver is PBT, and that is considered bad. There are also less interesting keyboards like the rubber dome model M and lasered Cherry boards from 2010-2014-ish that has some of the worse Cherry produced MX switches.

Maledicted

16 Feb 2023, 06:33

guidemetothelight wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 08:17
Muirium wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 12:40
Looking at those Bluetooth Niz boards—and suspending my WTF-grade disbelief about the seminal name!—the layouts and the caps both put me off. Now, if they were £50 boards like you say, I'd be much more tempted. But they're HHKB money! :lol:
same goes for me, i would love to try out a wired ISO Layout NIZ, for money i can justify....
Niz boards are great. Typing this from an Atom 68. I slightly prefer Niz to Topre, although my only comparison is to a 55g R2.

TNT

04 Apr 2023, 21:36

I think all of those are rubberdomes except for the g80 and the silicone graphics, which both have 2kro, afaik :/

Return to “Keyboards”