Keyboard suggestion for Model F, but quieter.

dfischer429

18 Apr 2022, 15:52

Hello,

I am looking for some recommendations. I recently received one of Ellipse's Model F77's, and I love it. I've been using it in the office as my daily driver, but I think I may be driving my coworker to the brink of insanity with my constant loud clacking and pinging. I may need to take this board back to my home office and replace it with something else at work.

The problem is, I'm not really a mechanical keyboard guy. I've never owned another mechanical keyboard, and I find the plethora of different colored switches and options kind of overwhelming. I like the Model F's switch feel, and I like the nostalgia of it. Is there another vintage board that has a similar vibe to the Model F, minus the insanely loud ping? Are Model M's just as loud, or is their sound dampened by the plastic case and membrane? Maybe something else that has decent tactility and positive feedback that won't make people want to murder me?

Muirium
µ

18 Apr 2022, 15:58

Tactile keyboards are much better for the office. No one’s ever complained about my Topre keyboards. Other tactiles are also available. ;)

Model M isn’t quite as bad as Model F but it’s still asking for trouble to bring one of those to the office. If Model M is 10 on the keyboard Richter scale then my silenced HHKB is a 2 while your Kishsaver remake (assuming metal case and all the same characteristics as my original) is a 12. And yes that scale (I just made up) is exponential! :lol:

fohat
Elder Messenger

18 Apr 2022, 16:09

The floss mod can be a big help by reducing ringing (aka singing) overtones that may be the primary source of your neighbors' irritation.
Attachments
F-122-floss-mod-004.JPG
F-122-floss-mod-004.JPG (389.39 KiB) Viewed 4231 times
F-122-floss-mod-003.jpg
F-122-floss-mod-003.jpg (3.97 MiB) Viewed 4231 times
F-122-floss-mod-002.jpg
F-122-floss-mod-002.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 4231 times
F-122-floss-mod-001.jpg
F-122-floss-mod-001.jpg (4.95 MiB) Viewed 4231 times

Muirium
µ

18 Apr 2022, 16:57

Got a before and after video, or even a half done board?

From what I gather, floss mod is a fair bit of work to dampen quite a lot of the sound. Not most of it, though. And there is a bit of deadening on the click feel. On a nice light F, it makes it heavier and less responsive, like M is, or such is my impression.

Naturally, I’ve never tried it. The lively cacophony is a major part of the F factor for me!

wobbled

18 Apr 2022, 17:16

This video shows before & after & the process of floss modding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD0AUUwh7cc

When I've done it in the past, I've never noticed a difference in feel, but the sound (to me at least) sounds arguably better since the ringing kind of gets on my nerves when I'm not wearing headphones while typing - and the floss mod eliminates said ringing.

Muirium
µ

18 Apr 2022, 17:44

Long vid. The typing samples are near the beginning and the end. Playing them back to back, the difference is very subtle. I think that’s just bad microphone technique though. An AT pings a hell of a lot more than his seems to in the before section of that video. Can’t tell much from it without a better positioned mic.

wobbled

18 Apr 2022, 17:53

Muirium wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 17:44
Long vid. The typing samples are near the beginning and the end. Playing them back to back, the difference is very subtle. I think that’s just bad microphone technique though. An AT pings a hell of a lot more than his seems to in the before section of that video. Can’t tell much from it without a better positioned mic.
You can tell more of a difference when comparing him pressing individual keys at the beginning of the video which does show off the ping a lot better than his typing demonstration did.

paperWasp

18 Apr 2022, 19:45

Install bucklespring program to your coworker's laptop. This could possibly stop him/her envying your keyboard sound. :lol:

Yasu0

18 Apr 2022, 20:09

I've done this floss mod and didn't think it made a significant difference as far as 'office collateral damage' type things go.

dfischer429

18 Apr 2022, 20:40

paperWasp wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 19:45
Install bucklespring program to your coworker's laptop. This could possibly stop him/her envying your keyboard sound. :lol:
That's pretty funny, I might have to put that on MY laptop so the buckling sound follows me around to our meetings too.
Yasu0 wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 20:09
I've done this floss mod and didn't think it made a significant difference as far as 'office collateral damage' type things go.
I looked into the floss mod but I also don't think it would make enough of a difference. I think what I am really asking is if there might be a more conventional mechanical keyboard that still has some of those beige/industrial aesthetics but isn't as loud and annoying. I feel like when I try to look for a mechanical keyboard I am immediately assaulted by thousands of brightly colored, light up, tiny little boards that don't appeal to me at all. Maybe I just don't know what to search.

robo

18 Apr 2022, 21:26

FWIW, I floss modded my daily driver Model M a while ago and then had to laboriously un-floss mod it as it was driving me nuts with inconsistent sound and feel between keys. Maybe I didn't do it right but I'm not sure how precise you can be with bits of fuzzy polyester string anyway.

As for quieter boards, virtually any mechanical keyboard not advertised as 'clicky' should be much quieter than buckling springs. You can also damp the inside of the case... my current daily driver is an old CoolerMaster board with Cherry MX Browns, heavier 3rd party keycaps, and the case filled with GE Type II silicone caulking, which dramatically changes the sound and feel of the board, making it quieter, lower pitched and not rattly. I know it's popular to hate on MX Brown switches these days but I'm really happy with this board with these mods.

TNT

18 Apr 2022, 21:56

dfischer429 wrote:

I looked into the floss mod but I also don't think it would make enough of a difference. I think what I am really asking is if there might be a more conventional mechanical keyboard that still has some of those beige/industrial aesthetics but isn't as loud and annoying. I feel like when I try to look for a mechanical keyboard I am immediately assaulted by thousands of brightly colored, light up, tiny little boards that don't appeal to me at all. Maybe I just don't know what to search.
Maybe another option would be an Apple Extended Keyboard (I or II, whatever you can get). Those are great keyboards if you're new to the hobby, since they're not very expensive and feature a standard layout. If you don't care whether the board has an obscure and unusual layout, maybe even look for the Apple Standard Keyboard. Tactile alps are very nice feelwise, while not being very noisy and these boards have the grey vintage industrial aesthetic you described (+ an additional touch of Apple's design of that era).
Last edited by TNT on 18 Apr 2022, 23:16, edited 2 times in total.

Muirium
µ

18 Apr 2022, 21:59

AEK is good. But you’ll need an ADB adapter (or to switch to Mac OS 9 :lol:) and that latching Caps Lock is going to catch your attention. Can be modded, though.

It’s a brighter keyboard than a Kishsaver. But very pleasantly quiet yet tactile.

TNT

18 Apr 2022, 22:14

If you are confident enough in your soldering skills, you could also buy another Alps-Chassis board and exchange the switches for tactile Alps. Less of a hands off approach than the AEK + adapter option, depends on how much time you want to invest in this.

Very nice boards would be for example the Zenith ZKB-2 or the plethora of Omnikey models. Latter ones came with clicky alps, so you would definitely need to throw those out in favor of something less noisy. The Zeniths came with linear Alps and maybe you'll even like those since those always have a little tactile bump because of the design of the switches.

Muirium
µ

18 Apr 2022, 22:26

Cons:
  • Quite a lot of work, especially if harvesting
  • Those Alps boards are getting pricey
  • Sourcing tactile Alps in good condition can be hard. Condition is everything with Alps
  • Matttiaas is not good Alps
You would have potentially desirable clicky Alps to sell, though.

I’d call that a gateway project for a serious vintage keyboard enthusiast.

TNT

18 Apr 2022, 22:45

Muirium wrote:
I’d call that a gateway project for a serious vintage keyboard enthusiast.
That's true, honestly. Maybe someone here is willing to sell an already pre-modded one, which would be less of a hassle for you.

Shorle

18 Apr 2022, 23:13

IIRC someone called Fujitsu Peerless the poor mans Model M. I don't really agree but they are affordable enough you might be able to try them out without setting you back a lot.
If you are after the tactile event the afore mentioned omnikey and zenith do look the vintage part and can be modded to suit your preference once you have tried more switches and gotten to know your desires.

dfischer429

19 Apr 2022, 01:03

Thanks guys, these were the sorts of suggestions I was looking for. Much appreciated!

JCMax

19 Apr 2022, 06:23

I would say two good options as far as modern boards that are relatively quiet would be Niz or Topre ones.

You would need to keep in mind they can get a bit pricey, especially Topre. But if you can buy Ellipse’s Model F 77 repro, I am assuming you are willing to spend a little extra on a good keyboard. ;)

I’ve tried an HHKB with 45g silent,
A Realforce R2 45g silent and 55g,
A Niz 35g Plum 104

Niz is a bit cheaper but I would say not quite as tactile. It comes down to how much you want to spend and what you prefer in the key-feel.

E3E

19 Apr 2022, 07:29

dfischer429 wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 15:52
I am looking for some recommendations.

I like the Model F's switch feel, and I like the nostalgia of it. Is there another vintage board that has a similar vibe to the Model F, minus the insanely loud ping?
I've always felt that Alps SKCM Cream aka SKCM Undampened Creams found in NeXT non-ADB keyboards to remind me a lot of the Model F in terms of typing feel.

Sourcing one and then making it useable might be a bit tricky though. Good luck in your quest!

thefarside

19 Apr 2022, 16:06

Another vote for the Apple M3501 with dampened alps. It’s a nice, solid board with good tactile switches that are pretty quiet. They are usually sold at reasonable prices and if you find one that’s clean the switches should be in good shape. Here’s a decent example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Extended ... 5215117961

You’ll need an ADB to USB adapter. I bought one from Drakware which converts to USB and allows you to remap keys and use layers, etc.

Jacobalbertus1

19 Apr 2022, 20:01

buy your coworker a model f lol

The Laptop Lagger

24 Apr 2022, 18:25

AEK II would be my obvious vote, like the one Muirium pictured.
Though I am quite biased.
The keyboard is hella quiet. Beating out many MX models in sound, Though it obviously has a rather different feel to a Model F.

LambdaCore

28 Apr 2022, 13:54

AEK with either salmons or orange Alps! I've used salmons and I love them (typing this on salmons!) But I've heard most who've tried them preferred oranges. Those are probably in fact better at an office than in your home, though, as they're notoriously bad at keeping dirt, dust and other crap out the switch which wouldn't accumulate as much in a (hopefully) clean office where as at home many don't particularly care as much, especially if you eat at your desk

apb

27 May 2022, 08:27

Muirium wrote:
Matttiaas
lol

BuGless

30 May 2022, 13:13

dfischer429 wrote:
I think what I am really asking is if there might be a more conventional mechanical keyboard that still has some of those beige/industrial aesthetics but isn't as loud and annoying.
You might be interested in acquiring a Matias Quiet model. Next to my two new model F77s, to appease co-workers, I have a Matias Mini Quiet Pro connected via a Hasu USB-USB remapping adapter so that I don't have to unlearn my custom keymap.

Muirium
µ

30 May 2022, 13:46

Here's an epic and ancient review of said Matias Mini Quiet Pro on DT. Says a lot, lot more about the Matias experience than I could. I just warn about their unfortunately well earned reputation for chattterr.

Here's a good pic from that review, the keyboard's controller module:

You could probably install a programmable alternative of your own, right there, without needing a costly USB remapper.

BuGless

31 May 2022, 12:41

The review is indeed ancient. I believe that since then, they have improved things a bit, both in their software and in their used switches. I'm not saying that there are never any issues, but it is manageable.
Which is not to say, that actually replacing their controller with a custom QMK one might be interesting indeed.

Muirium
µ

31 May 2022, 13:02

Ancient wisdom is good wisdom.

Maledicted

03 Jun 2022, 15:33

BuGless wrote:
31 May 2022, 12:41
The review is indeed ancient. I believe that since then, they have improved things a bit, both in their software and in their used switches. I'm not saying that there are never any issues, but it is manageable.
Which is not to say, that actually replacing their controller with a custom QMK one might be interesting indeed.
I don't think any criticisms of Matias boards in regards to QC/reliablity made prior to their switching to Outemu (Gaote)-manufactured switches are valid anymore. Any chatter that occurs on modern KBParadise or Matias boards containing these switches seems to be fleeting and work themselves out shortly after they begin without any intervention. I don't know when the change was made, but modern Matias controllers still use micro USB but it is reinforced with a huge solid plastic block that should more than prevent damage.

I probably have around a dozen of various KBParadise and Matias boards with these switches and have done some extended heavy typing on some, enough to shine the caps. I have had no persistent problems that required me to disassemble the board with any of them.

Conversely, the only board I have that I know for sure contains Forward-manufactured switches chatters so much that it is unusable.

The best part is that the switches are dirt cheap. They're not quite as nice as Alps, but they're better than everything else mass market made today ... unless you count those new Clickiez switches, which seem to me to be able to at least compete with Alps in sound and feel.

Return to “Keyboards”