My Alps64 with orange SKCM is disappointing

swedishpiehole

21 Apr 2022, 21:35

My quest for the "perfect" typing experience led me through various types of switches and keyboards, starting with MX, then moving to Topre, then buckling spring, and finally, the holy grail according to many, Alps SKCM orange. I harvested them from a clean AEKII and did lube them with whatever was recommended to me back then (this was 3 years ago). Keycaps are also from the AEK. I've tried it in a wood case and a heavy, Tofu-type case, but either way I really can't say I enjoy using it at all. The tactility is quite good, but the sound is awful—pingy and hollow-sounding. I've been reading about the boiling method which I had never heard of when I made the board, and I'm wondering if it would be worth the time and effort to see if that improves the sound? I'm almost inclined not to bother, because I don't believe it will make much difference. Thoughts?

mrprofessor

21 Apr 2022, 23:36

Well this hobby is all about preference 🤷🏻‍♂️

Shorle

22 Apr 2022, 00:16

You must have made a mistake!
... to quote a customer I had the pleasure talking to.
I understand where you are coming from, especially with high praised switches that have such an absurd range of condition they can be in, it's hard to know wether it's the switches fault for being a bad bunch, your own for not having cleaned / boiled / waxed or lubed them properly or maybe, just maybe, they are actually not your preference when it comes to switches.
Without being able to compare them to "proven" switches or knowing the destination one might keep looking for a Holy Grail, never to be satisfied.

To come back from this Meta excursion, can you try to pinpoint what you don't like about your orange Alps and what you do like about other switches you have tried?
As far as sound goes I hear AEK boards are not really great for that and most Alps enthusiasts recommend other vintage chassis.
(Northgate OmniKey, Focus and Acer come to mind, but our ALPs regiment will probably direct you further)

xxhellfirexx

22 Apr 2022, 01:59

I think your experience is accurate and there is no need to do any more modding. My Alps SKCM orange switches feel less tactile than 45g Topre. There is spring ping and the roomy plastic case sounds bassy and hollow. The upstroke clicks drive me nuts and make me want to add double-sided tape to all the metal leaves to stop them from moving.

thefarside

22 Apr 2022, 02:22

Sorry to hear you didn’t like the outcome of your project. I have an AEK I with orange alps and it’s one of my favorite boards and I have no pinging - just a nice deep sound and good tactility. I wonder if it’s a combination of the switch condition and lube along with the case design. If you like a compact layout I’d recommend looking for a clean M0116 which will have orange or salmon alps. With that being said it’s always a gamble with alps because you never know the condition of the switches, but a clean board should hopefully have decent condition switches. Best of luck!

What type of buckling spring did you use? I’d recommend trying a Model F. It’s one of my favorite tactile clicks switches but it will ping!

xxhellfirexx

22 Apr 2022, 07:07

thefarside wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 02:22
I have an AEK I with orange alps and it’s one of my favorite boards and I have no pinging
All my Alps keyboards ping. The pinging is more apparent on Alps SKCM orange and Alps SKCM cream damped keyboards than on Alps SKCM blue keyboards as there is no click sound to hide some of the ping. It is not super obvious like buckling springs, but it is noticeable if you listen closely.

Muirium
µ

22 Apr 2022, 10:43

The soul searcher comes to the mountain, ascends, sees other mountain, decides wants that one. Cycle repeats. Searcher not find soul.

zrrion

22 Apr 2022, 14:28

Boiling would only be recommended if your switches feel rough, if the switches are clean you are probably fine.

As for sound, a lot of MX cases aren't really designed for alps sound and it shows. You can certainly get decent mileage from MX cases though, especially with simple modding.
What is your plate made out of? Is there foam anywhere in the build and if so where is it? Have you tried a tape mod? Don't remember the mounting style for alps64 but there's probably something you can do there if you wanted. Try putting the thing in a BBox case, I hear those are really nice for everything, alps included.

DrunkUkrainian

22 Apr 2022, 15:21

I wouldn't be surprised if the case has a lot to do with it. I've compared the sound from my IIgs keyboard to an AEK and the ping is definitely less noticeable in the roomier AEK chassis. Every switch has their quirks, in my opinion that's what makes this hobby so great. I'm typing on a Model F77 right now, the pinging is deafening, and I'm having the time of my life!

-Space-NATO-

22 Apr 2022, 19:24

Wax mod works wonders on alps. Tried it succesfully on cream, orange and brown alps. They feel awesome, specially on the brown ones. Soundwise Idk man, I Like it but De gustibus non est disputandum.

Chyros

22 Apr 2022, 20:48

Don't think the AEKII ever came with oranges, no? Oo

Jacobalbertus1

23 Apr 2022, 03:04

Aek ii never had oranges only almond pine cream damp bamboo cream damp and white damp

zrrion

23 Apr 2022, 03:44

almond?

jsheradin

23 Apr 2022, 04:22

zrrion wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 03:44
almond?
Almond -> salmond -> salmon?

Salmon doesn't even look like a word now.

twc233

10 May 2022, 09:38

Maybe you can try to lubricate the springs. Use a fine paint brush, dip in krytox gpl105(or something like it). Then stick the brush in spring ,let lubricants inside the spring. Do it at both side of spring. It can eliminate most of the sound from springs.

hellothere

10 May 2022, 23:36

Jacobalbertus1 wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 03:04
Aek ii never had oranges only almond pine cream damp bamboo cream damp and white damp
If you bothered looking at the wiki, you'd know it was WALNUT, not almond¹.

I will be putting some orange switches in an OmniKey case at some point in the future. I have the case and switches, but not quite the motivation ...

1. I'm kidding. It's cashew.

The Laptop Lagger

12 May 2022, 18:20

As someone who's, over time, become quite the fan of Alps switches I do not share your critique. Though I must say that switches are indeed a very personal and often divisive subject!

Honestly the quest for a "holy grail" might be futile from the get go. I'd personally recommend just trying out as many switches as you can within your lifetime, be it good or bad you may find that new experiences help you choose a personal favourite, since the opinions of one will often rival those of another.

Muirium
µ

12 May 2022, 18:43

Exactly! If this hobby were purely objective, it wouldn't be a hobby at all. :lol:

Even your own opinions are open to evolve in time. Especially when new switches come along—which they do again, very different scene now than when I first arrived ten years ago. In fact, I've been interested long enough (and before all that) to know my own opinions change just based on available keyboards. I used to prefer clicky switches, but then I found Topre and fundamentally changed my view on tactile. I used to think Model F was the only click worth a damn, but then I found Space Invaders and recognised they're no mere wannabes but a whole different sensation of click, so much rounder and meatier, if less sharp. Hell, I even used to prefer heavier switches but have favoured lighter switches of all varieties for a while now.

Endgame is just wherever you happen to be when you quit looking.

fohat
Elder Messenger

12 May 2022, 19:41

hellothere wrote:

orange switches in an OmniKey case
I have done that.
It is exquisite.

hellothere

13 May 2022, 17:10

fohat wrote:
12 May 2022, 19:41
hellothere wrote:

orange switches in an OmniKey case
I have done that.
It is exquisite.
It shall be done.

kshopper2084

17 May 2022, 00:42

I would say that your case has a lot to do with the tone of the switches for sure. My Salmon's with PBT caps sounded better in the original M0116 keyboard that I harvested them from than they do in my Matias Ergo Pro. It was just a chunkier case and resonated the low frequencies more I guess. Still love them though. :)

themk

18 May 2022, 05:55

I really like the AEK/AEK2 chassis for what it is sound wise. Always been happy with the Apple boards as stock.

My favorite is probably the IIgs keyboard with SMK switches, though.

However sound is subjective, and I don't put much value on the sound of my switches as long as it doesn't sound annoying.

Yasu0

18 May 2022, 23:31

The heart desires what the heart desires. If OP dont like them alpses then OP don't like them alpses.

Return to “Keyboards”