How to install new Model F (F77) stabilizers properly?

Xontaro

06 May 2022, 13:31

I just wanted to do the initial setup for my Model F using the provided manual (https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/manual/). The white horizontal stabilizers went in with a bit of force, but the black vertical stabilizer for my ISO Enter (please don't judge) got stuck half way. Is this simply a case of a little more force or is there a special way to insert these black stabilizers which I overlooked?
Would be super grateful if someone could help me, since I cannot wait to try this new keyboard.
Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 13.26.28.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 13.26.28.png (540.97 KiB) Viewed 1697 times

Lanrefni

06 May 2022, 14:02

Maybe try turning it 90 degrees? Looks like they are a little wider than they are tall.

Xontaro

06 May 2022, 14:46

Thank you for your reply Lanrefni, the orientation seems to be correct though. In the manual it is suggested to put the bigger of the two side notches on the left side, this also lines up with a Model M I use, which has the stabilizer in the same orientation.

Tail_typist

06 May 2022, 15:14

The orientation looks correct (comparing to a photo I took of mine while I built it). There's no spring and flipper under there, right? I just used both my thumbs and gave it a good push. For one of the keys, I think I put the keycap on and gave it a good push. If all else fails, you can pull the keyboard apart and swap a couple barrels. The stabilizer and barrel are difficult to pull apart once they're all the way in, though. You might want to try a different stabilizer now before you get it pressed in any further.

Xontaro

06 May 2022, 15:21

The space under the stabilizer is free. I will definitely try the two thumbs technique, since I was afraid to give it more force than I could muster with one thumb. If that fails I will try a different barrel. Thank you :)

Edit: Thank you Tail_typist pressing it down with both thumbs did the trick, guess I was just a bit to wary to do something wrong before.

phughes

22 Jun 2022, 14:21

Glad I found this post - I too was worried about too much force. Pushed a bit harder and the black stabilizer seated correctly. Thanks guys!

Bjerrk

22 Jun 2022, 15:19

Xontaro wrote:
my ISO Enter (please don't judge)
I judge you to be the owner of the all-superior type of Enter key!

depletedvespene

22 Jun 2022, 19:50

Bjerrk wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 15:19
Xontaro wrote:
my ISO Enter (please don't judge)
I judge you to be the owner of the all-superior type of Enter key!
I hereby establish my concurring opinion on your judgement.

Return to “Keyboards”