HHKB's you've tried

Go-Kart

22 May 2022, 20:30

Nice. This illustrates one of the few things I dislike about my Hybrid - the rounded corners!

Polecat

22 May 2022, 20:43

hellothere wrote:
22 May 2022, 19:25
I'm old enough to get the Banana Jr. reference. Also, FWIW, I have a Mac SE in the corner that's approximately the same shade as the above pic.

There are a LOT of ways you can do retr0bright. I'll also second that heat causes the reaction to happen faster. I'll also say that you probably should use the long, mad scientist, gloves and maybe even a chemical-resistant apron. I always get a little on my arms or hands and it hurts. A lot. At one point, I got a big dollop on my foot and that turned into a chemical burn because I didn't feel it until too late. Yup; there's a delay between you getting it on your skin and feeling it.

I've now painted two Apple keyboards -- one had deep scratches and uneven yellowing and the other just had uneven yellowing -- and I'm happy with the results.

I apologize for the hijack. I'll mention that I'd like to try an HHKB next to my Realforce R2. That's more on-topic, right?
I'm fully responsible for the hijack on this one. But the retrobrite info is hopefully helpful to others as well as to me. And apparently the HHKBs are popular in yellow.

I did have an HHKB at one time, which I sold to a member here. Mine was an early PS/2 version, and surprisingly it wasn't yellowed. It worked perfectly but I never used it because it wasn't clicky.

Muirium
µ

23 May 2022, 00:20

PS/2? Sounds like you had an HHKB, not an HHKB Pro. Whole different ‘lil kettle of fish. The original HHKB wasn’t Topre at all. It’s an inspiring design but only really blossomed with its move away from rubber-dome over membrane to the holy of holies.

No surprise you didn’t like its feel.

Polecat

23 May 2022, 00:50

Muirium wrote:
23 May 2022, 00:20
PS/2? Sounds like you had an HHKB, not an HHKB Pro. Whole different ‘lil kettle of fish. The original HHKB wasn’t Topre at all. It’s an inspiring design but only really blossomed with its move away from rubber-dome over membrane to the holy of holies.

No surprise you didn’t like its feel.
Based on that it wasn't a Professional. And probably not a Classic. Sorry I'm really muddling things up here, I'm going to slink off and hide in the Alps.

Return to “Keyboards”