Guide to fixing a Model M13's trackpoint?

A_Bravo

17 May 2022, 23:08

Hey there, everyone. New here to Deskthority and the world of Model M keyboards. While at a thrift store last week, I stumbled upon 6 keyboards. 5 of them Model M's, and 1 M13 with Erase-Eaze. I asked some questions on the r/MechanicalKeyboards Discord server, and was told by quite a few M enthusiasts to buy ALL of them. So I did!

Pics of the total haul:
IMG_2685.jpg
IMG_2685.jpg (3.09 MiB) Viewed 1025 times
IMG_2686.jpg
IMG_2686.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 1025 times

I got around to testing the boards yesterday, and luckily the M13 works, except for the trackpoint and the two buttons for the mouse clicks. How can I go about fixing these issues? Is it even possible to fix these issues?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a pic of the M13 after a nice little cleaning
IMG_2715.jpg
IMG_2715.jpg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 1025 times

jsheradin

18 May 2022, 01:52

That's not just a trackpoint M but an Erase-Eaze, well worth the $9.99!

I think the whole trackpoint module is on its own ribbon cable going into the controller board. I'd say give it a good wiggle and double check that your converter is compatible with mice.

A_Bravo

27 May 2022, 01:42

I went ahead and made sure all the ribbon cables were plugged in properly on the board, and I've tried using the direct PS2 port, and an adapter. I also tried using the board on Windows, a couple different Linux distros, and on Mac. None of it worked. Looks like I'll have to replace the entire module.

depletedvespene

12 Jun 2022, 16:20

Congratulations on the haul!

Woah, a "CompuAdd" branded computer. It's the... second one I've seen so far during these years.

Can we ask you to take pictures of each keyboards on its back side, too? (mostly to document the part numbers)

Go-Kart

12 Jun 2022, 17:21

Congratulations on the haul and welcome to DT! I like an M, myself. I particularly like the aesthetic. Though, I find the weight of most M buckling springs to be a little too much for me as a daily driver. However, I have just received back my "cushion modded" M a fellow forum member kindly helped me breath life back into. If you wish to do any work on those boards, I can highly recommend this guide.

I can also highly recommend the cushion mod, contained within it. It doesn't get the key feel to that of a Model F, but it's closer! Tip for anyone attempting that mod, buy Unicomp flippers - they're a different plastic and won't just break when you snip them.

wobbled

12 Jun 2022, 17:55

I think unicomp sell complete trackpoint assembly replacements if it's completely dead

Return to “Keyboards”