Using a Model F XT as a daily driver for a week

LambdaCore

24 May 2022, 14:49

So, exactly as the subject suggests I've been using the Model F XT exclusively for a full week now, the layout is pretty infamous in some communities likely because it's seen outside the vintage keyboard community fairly often. Now, this has been modified with a full 2u shift, Ctrl and alt swapped alongside the nav layer on the numpad resembling a modern nav cluster, this gets confusing sometimes due to the legends but it helps with pure muscle memory, and I'm almost never looking down at my keyboard anyways so it works out.

So, how has it been? Perfectly usable, it's hit that period where going back to my topre briefly was tripping me up some, having alt and tab right next to each other is pretty convenient and while odd you get used to where the tilde key is after awhile. Outside of that, the switches are the best I've used bar none, which makes the layout absolutely worth using despite the fact that it has some worthwhile conveniences of its own.

Oh, and the sound is great even if it bothers my girlfriend sometimes ;)

TNT

24 May 2022, 15:54

Hell yeah, another saved soul! :D

Do you have a picture of your modified board? Sounds quite interesting!

andrewjoy

24 May 2022, 17:15

The best thing about the XT layout is that the control key is in the correct location :)

LambdaCore

24 May 2022, 17:18

TNT wrote:
24 May 2022, 15:54
Hell yeah, another saved soul! :D

Do you have a picture of your modified board? Sounds quite interesting!
Here you go! Still needs a good clean, but for now I'm rather happy with it. Looks a tad janky but it functions as well as any other keyboard, I'm rather happy with it! The layout is easy to honestly turn into a net benefit, it's only a little longer than my tenkeyless topre keyboard and is really comfortable to use after just a week.

LambdaCore

24 May 2022, 18:15

andrewjoy wrote:
The best thing about the XT layout is that the control key is in the correct location :)
You'll be disappointed to know that I moved Ctrl back down to where it usually is! In it's place for me is alt, which I actually like a great deal more than capslock since I never use that key

Muirium
µ

24 May 2022, 18:20

No backspace because you are flawless and never make mistakes.

Go-Kart

24 May 2022, 18:41

andrewjoy wrote:
I second this! Lambda has committed heresy!

Yasu0

24 May 2022, 19:23

I use an XT, an AT, and an m101 in rotation. I'm on the fence whether its more annoying, or good for your mind to have to adjust. I'm starting to sway from the former to the latter.. I approve of the jank!

LambdaCore

25 May 2022, 00:47

I usually rotate between a Omnikey, Focus FK2001 and a Topre, but the Model F XT leaves me no desire to do so honestly. The AT might actually have the perfect layout for me if you ansi modded it, but I don't think it's worth the (in my opinion) downgraded sound and worse build quality

Muirium
µ

25 May 2022, 10:04

ANSI mod is a compelling idea, but I don’t like the chances I’ll mess it up just enough to always catch my notice. Spacebar stabilisation is one of the biggest influences on my impressions of a board, as it’s such a big key and used so very much: by inquiring thumbs! Scuffy spacebars, wobbly spacebars, shiny, tacky, chintzy spacebars all drive me nuts. Thank goodness my Kishsaver’s is only janky on the left side where I never press it!

But yeah, I dig the Model F heavy spacebar feel, if not the wasteful size of it. The AT’s a classy board, and far superior to the XT in all regards, to my taste. Just needs those Model M modifiers without spoiling its buttery space…

fohat
Elder Messenger

25 May 2022, 14:55

Muirium wrote:
25 May 2022, 10:04

Scuffy spacebars, wobbly spacebars, shiny, tacky, chintzy spacebars all drive me nuts.
There are now multiple methods for stabilizing Model M space bars in non-standard applications.

The simplest is using 7/16" SAE washers (there may not be a metric equivalent) which can stop the C-V and M-. keys a whisker short of the regular bottom-out depression which might bother a heavy hitter.

The best (although I have never seen Ellipse's new part) is to fabricate your own hold-down tabs unless, even if they aren't visible, you can't stand knowing that they are there.
Attachments
IBM-F-spacebar-tabs.JPG
IBM-F-spacebar-tabs.JPG (236.04 KiB) Viewed 2355 times

Muirium
µ

25 May 2022, 15:57

I tried the washers on my Kishsaver. I must have done it wrong because the result was comically awful! Lots of nasty metal sound from the washer(s) (this was maybe 2014 so I forget how many and in what configurations I used that one afternoon) and still persistent wobble. I just had to whip it out before I disgraced my beloved Kishsaver too much for it soon forgive me! :lol:

After that experience, I balked good and hard at the idea of epoxy putty for making my own stab clips, as you’d expect. If it ain’t broke, etc. :roll:

fohat
Elder Messenger

25 May 2022, 16:26

Muirium wrote:
25 May 2022, 15:57

epoxy putty for making my own stab clips
Those in my photo were sheet metal (from the top of a food can) bent to shape and epoxied down. Being on the thinner side, they have the advantage of being able to be bent slightly to "tune" their hold-down effect.

Were you using actual 7/16" SAE washers as wcass recommended? The SAE part is imperative. They do rattle a bit, but unflossed Model Fs are pretty noisy anyway.

Another method is to use a material like the 60 mil EPDM roofing material that I used to sell for mats. If you cut a rectangle about 6-7 units wide and punch 6-7 holes to slip over the C-V-B-N-M-, barrels and stop the bottom flap short of the barrel for the space bar, you don't get any rattles.

Muirium
µ

25 May 2022, 17:08

As I recall, yes, I got the exact type and dimensions. I expected better. No matter how many or few I tried, they jangled around like coins in there! It made me chuckle and wince, at once. Either I’d been had, or I was so wrong about this self evidently simple procedure I couldn’t even… :lol:

Still, at least it was undestructive and quick enough I could just pop back to the hardware store to return them!

I’m fine with my Kishsaver as is. My lasting interest in these Model F spacebar stab mods is really about ANSI mod on my AT, and just what to do if we ever get around to Model MFs again.

fohat
Elder Messenger

25 May 2022, 17:32

Muirium wrote:
25 May 2022, 17:08

No matter how many or few I tried

Model F spacebar stab mods is really about ANSI mod on my AT

if we ever get around to Model MFs again.
You only use 2 washers, one on each barrel, I used V and M. I contemplated dipping them in "Plasti-Dip" (there must be many others) like you would for the handles on a pair of pliers, but never bothered.

Lot_lizard was making special clips for his project, I am pretty sure.

The ANSI-modded F AT is such a satisfying project, and with all the IBM "metal case" projects that are continually popping up I am surprised that making metal bottom pans for F ATs does not seem to be on anybody's radar screen. If it was just a bending proposition then the fabrication would be significantly easier than those others.

The unspoken reason, I'm sure, is that the F AT is actually far more rare than their prices and editorial space would suggest.

The Laptop Lagger

27 May 2022, 22:02

I intend to daily drive the XT Toshiba 1500 once I finally get it set up and working.

clickandthock

21 Jun 2022, 16:34

My favorite keyboard! Keyfeel is awsome! But layout make it very difficult for me to use it as daily driver... But now you give me a reason to tested mine for a week or two. Maybe will remap the layout a little bit since I'm video editor and I need the ctl key at the right place... :P

Bjerrk

21 Jun 2022, 19:04

I've used a Model F XT as a daily driver for long periods of time - it's the keyboard I use the most at home, to be honest. I'm really productive with it, as well! And this is even though I have an Ellipse F77 repro that I could use.

I find that the layout is perfectly fine, although I've also made a few adjustments.

I've mapped the Caps Lock key to the right of the spacebar to RAlt (or actually, AltGr, a key which is completely essential if you use e.g. a Nordic layout).

I've also modded Esc to what I call EscFn. It's Esc when I tap it, but it's a Fn (layer) key when I hold it down.

Now, for the really odd bit:
I use the XT as a mouse as well! I've gotten mouse keys configured so nicely that I often make do with just the keyboard for days at a time. I find it really efficient, since your hands are right on the home row the entire time.

Return to “Keyboards”