Tai Hao APC Switches

Polecat

04 Jul 2022, 21:40

Am I the last one to notice that Tai Hao is selling their APC Alps clone switches direct? Or is this a new offering?

https://shop.tai-hao.com/products/apc-s ... 280g-click

I bought a few donor keyboards to get some of these to use in other projects, like the ABS M1 I restored recently, but I had no clue that they were selling these direct. The 55g blue switches are to me a very usable switch, especially in a small, lightweight keyboard where a heavier switch overwhelms the chassis. The 65g white ones are similar in weight to Matias clicky, but smoother and more subtle. I haven't tried the 280g ones yet. Cheap enough to play with at 10 for $5.

TheInverseKey

04 Jul 2022, 22:56

They have been selling them directly for a few years now.

Bjerrk

05 Jul 2022, 07:01

Are the click and actuation well synchronized?
That's been a major problem with the (old) APC Alps clones I've tried. (I really can't stand switches with a dishonest click :-P )

Polecat

06 Jul 2022, 06:08

Bjerrk wrote:
That's been a major problem with the (old) APC Alps clones I've tried. (I really can't stand switches with a dishonest click :-P )
I didn't notice that, but I'm not sure that I would. I'll check next time I'm using the ABS. Keep in mind the APC switches I'm using came from donor keyboards, not bought new from Tai Hao.

They're no substitute for early Alps, make no mistake, but to me they're nicer than most of the other clones I've tried. And they're cheap enough to play with at 10 for 5 bucks.
TheInverseKey wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 22:56
They have been selling them directly for a few years now.
Well I may be slow, but, uh, how does the rest of that go?

Polecat

09 Jul 2022, 21:28

Bjerrk wrote:
I just dug out the ABS M1, typing on it now. I can't make the switches click without actuation, nor actuate without click, so at least this older used set seems not to have that problem.

Bjerrk

10 Jul 2022, 21:58

Polecat wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 21:28
Bjerrk wrote:
I just dug out the ABS M1, typing on it now. I can't make the switches click without actuation, nor actuate without click, so at least this older used set seems not to have that problem.
Ah, cheers! Not sure what's up with the APCs I have, then. They're in good condition otherwise, but just badly synced.

Polecat

10 Jul 2022, 22:16

Next time I order from Tai Hao I'll pick up a 10 pack of 55g blue and 65g white just to play with. I don't expect them to be as good as early Alps, of course, but I'm glad to see another clone switch available new.

Return to “Keyboards”