Apple ADB Keyboard restoration

Wheeler__

05 Jul 2022, 18:17

Hello, I have recently come into ownership of a 1992 Apple ADB keyboard. It has the Alps Salmon switches and the PBT Keycaps. The condition is fair overall, but the key feel is a bit scratchy with a slight bit of binding when pressed off center.

I have never before actually restored an Alps board, and thus I am here seeking advice. What should I, a complete novice, know before I attempt cleaning it. Many thanks for any advice.

Findecanor

05 Jul 2022, 19:09

At least open it up with a screwdriver and clean away any dust that may be inside. If only lightly dirty, just drag a rag in-between the keys.
I've always thought that a slight binding was a property of Alps switches, but some Alps experts might disagree with me. Either way, there is thin lube for switches, and thick lube lube for stabiliser bars available in stores that cater to mechanical keyboard enthusiasts.

To clean more thoroughly:

First, acquire a wire keycap puller.
Use the puller to remove all the keycaps by pulling straight up, gently. Not doing it gently could could break the stems.
The stabiliser bars should be Alps style which snap to clips in the plate, and can be pulled straight up. Don't lose the bars or the small plastic clips.

I prefer to clean keycaps by putting them in in a mesh laundry bag (women's lingerie store), together with a few denture cleaning tablets (3 for a small, or 5 for a large keyboard). Place it in a bucket and pour hot tap-water on it. Let it foam up and leave it for a few hours. Then rinse the whole bag in fresh water a few times before hanging up the whole bag to dry overnight. May have a slight scent of mint afterwards though.

Meanwhile, clean the spaces in-between the switches with a q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol.
You could wash the case with dishwashing liquid and water.

Let everything dry before you assemble.

yaun

05 Jul 2022, 19:47

I have an AEK II with Alps dampened Cream switches. The were a bit scratchy, too, when I got it. I open them all, cleaned them on the inside and treated the stems with Klüber universal lubricating wax. That stuff made the switches much smoother.

I only have a free sample, with no information on it except the name, so I can’t say what’s in it. I can’t find it on their website, either. It looks like a glue stick (both the container and the wax). It operates like one, too.

hellothere

07 Jul 2022, 01:11

For any tactile Alps, except brown, I'd recommend doing the paper mod. All you do is put a square of paper that's a little less than 1/2" on each side behind the tactile leaf. This eliminates upstroke click. Seriously, it's the best mod I'm aware of. Only works on tactile switches, though.

Note that if you have to desolder switches, all Apple keyboards (well, ADB ones) have a bazillion bent pins on the PCB. I find it difficult to not accidentally lift a solder pad or pull one of the switch's legs off and I've worked on a lot of Alps Apple keyboards.

You can look up the topic on the Alps Boil/Wax Mod. I don't think it works that well with salmon Alps, though. I usually use a ceramic wax lube on the tracks in the top housing and occasionally on the fat part of the slider. I think it helps, but it might just be the placebo effect.

I clean my switches by ultrasonicing them, a few at a time, with denture tablets thrown in. Then I boil the plastic parts for about 2 min. Don't boil your keycaps, though.

I +1 the wire keycap puller.

Stabilizers. I think that the stabilizer on the spacebar has a little pillar on the spacebar, itself, and a guide plastic part on the left of the spacebar, but on the plate. Don't break these. Also note the orientation of the stabilizer hooks on the keyboard.

Return to “Keyboards”