New F77 (HHKB 2U BS) 2 keys not binding at all - HELP

Macaroni_Pizza_Pony

07 Jul 2022, 05:19

Hello boys and gals and everyone else. I got my new F77 a few days ago, in Brazilian ABNT, basically ISO with split right shift. I flashed the appropriate VIA .hex file on my board, and everything works perfectly, even the solenoid that I've installed.
However the 2, originally blank, keys arround the arrow cluster don't bind no matter what. I've tried re-flashing the bios several times, tried different bios but only the PrintScr.hex works on my particular keyboard.
I double checked and mechanically those 2 keys should work perfectly. Perhaps it's a bios/hex problem?
Any help would be appreciated!
lolhelp.jpg
lolhelp.jpg (423.45 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
IMG_20220701_220046036.jpg
IMG_20220701_220046036.jpg (658.55 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

BuGless

07 Jul 2022, 08:02

Do they make the same sound as the other keys when pressed?

Macaroni_Pizza_Pony

07 Jul 2022, 17:21

BuGless wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 08:02
Do they make the same sound as the other keys when pressed?
Yes, they sound and feel exactly the same. I think the people who made the firmware for this specific VIA HHKB style, instead of just keeping those keys blank, they completely unbinded them by mistake. That's my guess

Muirium
µ

07 Jul 2022, 19:33

Sounds like a dodgy definition file to me. But I don’t Vial so can’t offer help. Bet it is just a Json file issue though. May well be quite a trivial fix, for those who know how to do it.

Macaroni_Pizza_Pony

07 Jul 2022, 20:43

Muirium wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 19:33
Sounds like a dodgy definition file to me. But I don’t Vial so can’t offer help. Bet it is just a Json file issue though. May well be quite a trivial fix, for those who know how to do it.
I'm using VIA because frankly it's the easiest at least for me, after doing the flashing stuff it's pretty convenient to edit the layout and stuff, I don't think I need the core QMK thing. Perhaps it's a good idea to contact the people who did the VIA convertions to let them know this issue, I don't know who they are though.

If someone else can help figure out the problem, I've opened the .json file for the F77 VIA and this is how it looks. I tried to make sense about it but I just don't quite understand some stuff like the \n\n\n stuff etc...
errrrridunnomanimnotthatnerdy.png
errrrridunnomanimnotthatnerdy.png (56.17 KiB) Viewed 1009 times

Muirium
µ

07 Jul 2022, 21:14

Via and Vial both confused me. (I gather Vial has improved a lot since I tried it, however.) So I roll straight QMK and don’t have to confront files like that. You could try it, just as a hardware check. Pandrew’s packed a lot of neat tools in there:

Macaroni_Pizza_Pony

08 Jul 2022, 00:02

Ok so this is weird... I tried other .hex files, not meant for my keyboard configuration... and the split backspace 0-9 worked, I binded the numbers to insert, delete, etc, and the 2 keys arround the arrow cluster works now... So it was a problem with the .hex files I was trying before. It works now... so good? Might still worth telling the people who are responsible to give them a note about this or something though.
errrokthen.png
errrokthen.png (15.31 KiB) Viewed 962 times

Return to “Keyboards”