Does anyone know what's going on with Matias?

Muirium
µ

25 Jul 2022, 22:26

kshopper2084 wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 21:54
I love the Ergo Pro. Been my daily driver since it launched. Large format bottom row is fantastic for accuracy.
I've gone through 3 of these boards over the years, and my latest I replaced the kind of meh Quiet-Click Matias switches with some classic SCKM salmons, total game-changer. 8-)
It launched in 2015, 7 years ago, and you are already on your third? :shock:

kshopper2084

26 Jul 2022, 16:46

Muirium wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 22:26
kshopper2084 wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 21:54
I love the Ergo Pro. Been my daily driver since it launched. Large format bottom row is fantastic for accuracy.
I've gone through 3 of these boards over the years, and my latest I replaced the kind of meh Quiet-Click Matias switches with some classic SCKM salmons, total game-changer. 8-)
It launched in 2015, 7 years ago, and you are already on your third? :shock:
Yeah. First one was pre-ordered prior to launch, and the controller chip died on it about 1 month out of 2 year warranty, if I remember correctly. Matias graciously sent me a refurbished replacement that was like new.

That one lasted about 3 years or so but eventually I ended up having to replace virtually all the commonly used quiet-click switches as they started to chatter and fail. That got old that eventually I stopped using it for a few months.

Finally, I found a nice unused refurb on ebay for $80 and picked up an Apple M0116 keyboard and harvested the salmon alps switches off of it and installed them on the new Ergo Pro. I also used the PBT keycaps for the main keys. Turned out amazing and been my daily driver since. So satisfying to type on (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23000).

Even on that one the ridiculous micro-USB port Matias used to connect it to the computer failed (imagine anchoring a massive heavy keyboard with the surface mount micro-USB port), a fairly common problem, but I was able to hack one of the regular USB B ports to connect to the computer and saved it.

I've since picked up yet another as-new refurb off ebay for $30 to keep as a spare in case I need it in the future.

So I love using the board, but it certainly has quality issues that aren't justifiable at all in a board at this price-point. I can tear one of these things down in about 2 minutes...

apastuszak

28 Jul 2022, 00:37

The new Ergo Pro is fully programmable. I'm hoping they come with a new full-size keyboard that is fully programmable.

I have a Tactile Pro 5, and I love the thing. But I REALLY need an insert key, because I spend half my life at work in SecureCRT, which requires I use CTRL+DEL to copy and SHIFT+INS to paste.

And, sadly, I cannot use any software to remap keys.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

29 Jul 2022, 20:44

kshopper2084 wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 16:46
That one lasted about 3 years or so but eventually I ended up having to replace virtually all the commonly used quiet-click switches as they started to chatter and fail.
I like the feel of Matias switches a lot but many people find that they’re prone to chatter. Probably because the contact plate is designed like simplified Alps which are not as robust as their SKC predecessors.

Alps Simplified vs Matias (Daniel Beardsmore wiki pic)

Edit: Oops, thefarside already pointed this out. Can you tell I didn’t read the whole thread? :oops:

Muirium
µ

29 Jul 2022, 21:28

snacksthecat wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 20:44
I like the feel of Matias switches a lot…

The consummate analyst, Dr. Freud was not often taken so visibly aback.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

29 Jul 2022, 21:51

I’m an enigma. Genuine alps feel bindy and stiff to me. Matias reds feel like typing on squishy little pillows. And who doesn’t like the thought of that?!

Muirium
µ

29 Jul 2022, 21:58

Freud: How do you feel about your many uddered mother?

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

29 Jul 2022, 22:24

Spoiler:
iamnotashamed.jpg
iamnotashamed.jpg (187.88 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Please don't actually roast me.

thefarside

30 Jul 2022, 05:02

Another issue with simplified is how weak they are. I just ruined one of my Matias switches while trying to reinstall the top. The switch plate didn’t slide correctly into the top housing and was mangled beyond repair. The only fix was to desolder and replace the switch :(

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

30 Jul 2022, 05:19

Yes! Those things get mangled into bad origami.

Or you think, "I lucked out and just bent the pin. I'll bend it right back"... No, my friend. That pin is getting snapped off like a twig.

SK-8K

31 Jul 2022, 23:02

I-Rocks actually solved this problem, the switch legs are both thick pieces of metal, and one attaches to the thinner movable leaf piece which stays in the top housing.

thefarside

01 Aug 2022, 04:08

SK-8K wrote:
I-Rocks actually solved this problem, the switch legs are both thick pieces of metal, and one attaches to the thinner movable leaf piece which stays in the top housing.
Are I-rocks MX compatible? I didn’t catch the switch compatibility in Chyros review.

SK-8K

02 Aug 2022, 01:16

thefarside wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 04:08
SK-8K wrote:
Are I-rocks MX compatible? I didn’t catch the switch compatibility in Chyros review.
Keycaps yes, but not PCB and plate.

Findecanor

02 Aug 2022, 15:01

I doubt that the I-Rocks switches would be compatible with Cherry-profile keycaps though. I-Rocks' own keyboards with those switches have OEM-profile keycaps.

Return to “Keyboards”