Can you use Soarer converter on Mac?

STriKER_

01 Aug 2022, 06:59

So I’ve got a realforce 101u, it has a ps2 port and I want to use it on my Mac. Do soarers work on mac?

Thanks a lot!!!

guidemetothelight

01 Aug 2022, 08:48

STriKER_ wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 06:59
So I’ve got a realforce 101u, it has a ps2 port and I want to use it on my Mac. Do soarers work on mac?

Thanks a lot!!!
Good question , i wanna give my girlfriend one of my aek II´s for use on her macbook.
Also , could you use those atmega32 controllers on mac / linux ?

Thank you keyboard wizards for clarifying :)

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2022, 09:59

Yes, Soarer’s converter works fine on Mac. You need my 64 bit version of its tools if you want to remap keys though.

Soarer’s does not support Apple Extended Keyboard however. You need an ADB converter for that.

guidemetothelight

01 Aug 2022, 12:26

Muirium wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 09:59
Yes, Soarer’s converter works fine on Mac. You need my 64 bit version of its tools if you want to remap keys though.

Soarer’s does not support Apple Extended Keyboard however. You need an ADB converter for that.
Thanks for the info !
One of the aek II´s actually came with a converter , seller was kind enough to include it. It works fine on windows , but nothing works on Linux / or the macbook my girlfriend uses. :?:

STriKER_

01 Aug 2022, 18:20

thanks

Muirium
µ

02 Aug 2022, 00:30

No good reason a Whatever-to-USB converter shouldn’t work on Mac and Linux too. USB HID keyboard is a universal standard.

Is this ADB converter you mention ADB to PS/2 or something?

STriKER_

03 Aug 2022, 17:34

Muirium wrote:
No good reason a Whatever-to-USB converter shouldn’t work on Mac and Linux too. USB HID keyboard is a universal standard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282575686221

Muirium
µ

03 Aug 2022, 18:01

I’ve been using Soarer’s on Mac for a decade. PowerPC, Intel, Apple Silicon. It’s all good. ;)

Remapping it requires 64 bit tools, which I built and linked above. But just using it is seamless.
Note that is a PS/2 to USB converter. Nothing ADB about it.

dotdash

03 Aug 2022, 19:30

Muirium wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 18:01
Note that is a PS/2 to USB converter. Nothing ADB about it.
Two conversations going on in this thread. For the OP, that is indeed the correct converter to connect his PS/2 keyboard to a Mac.
For the AEK, that needs an ADB to USB. I made one with TMK, a Teensy, and an old SVGA cable.

Muirium
µ

03 Aug 2022, 19:50

Correct on both counts. ;)

ADB and PS/2 are physically different jacks, but just about the same diameter. Really eager pushing into the wrong socket can attempt to overcome that, with destructive results!

guidemetothelight

04 Aug 2022, 08:08

Muirium wrote:

No, not that i recall, it should be ADB to USB A and theres a matchbox size clear plastic box in the middle with a controller that looks like one of those atmega32 things. Will take a closer look today after work :)

Muirium
µ

04 Aug 2022, 09:12

Ah, good old USB A. Or “USB” as the whole world called it for a while there. How naïve we were. :roll:

If you’re using this with modern Macs, you may well have your ADB converter plugged into a USB A to USB C adapter to fit into the Mac’s port. This issue could be a problem with that adapter, too.

guidemetothelight

05 Aug 2022, 08:39

Muirium wrote: If you’re using this with modern Macs, you may well have your ADB converter plugged into a USB A to USB C adapter to fit into the Mac’s port. This issue could be a problem with that adapter, too.
That was the Problem probably, in the case of my gf , it was a USB-C Hub that the adapter was plugged into & in the case of my linux machine , one of those thinkpad usb c docks , since iam using a converted mac g5 case & the dock fits snugly into the top handle rail :D

Seirin-Blu

08 Aug 2022, 23:47

Something to keep in mind is that a lot of older keebs draw more power than a dock might expect a keeb to pull so you’ll probably have better luck plugging directly into the computer most of the time. Some mobile devices will also not expect/might not be able to supply enough power to some old boards. My m122 and F AT work fine with my iPad though so YMMV

Return to “Keyboards”