Is there a vintage to modern switch conversion guide?

apastuszak

02 Aug 2022, 18:28

The array of modern MX style keyboard switches is immense. It boggles my mind how companies continuously try to reinvent the wheel with switches.

But my preference is for Alps and Buckling Springs.

Now I know there is more to key feel and sound that just the switch. The case and keycap play into it as well.

But I am wondering if there is a guide anywhere for the closest MX style switch that matches old Alps switches. I know it's not going to be exact, but I'd like something close.

Right now, I'd like to find something that in an MX style switch that is close to the Alps Orange switches used in the original Apple Extended Keyboard. But I am sure I will be looking for other substitutions as well.

Johnbo

02 Aug 2022, 18:49

The only modern, MX compatible switches inspired by Alps are Zeal PC's Clickiez.

https://zealpc.net/products/clickiez

They can be put into Clicky and Tactile mode. I have very little experience with Alps switches (Just one FK2000 with White Alps) but I can say that I really enjoy my Clickiez switches. Absolutely my favorite MX style switch.

The other option, as you're probably aware, is of course Matias, who make the modern, spiritual successor to Alps switches. While not MX compatible, you can get one of their own keyboards:

https://matias.ca/products/

or you can get this:

https://www.kbparadise.com/v80alps

apastuszak

02 Aug 2022, 19:41

The problem I have is that I want a keyboard that is hardware programmable. The easiest way to pull that off seems to be with a QMK board. And QMK boards are all Cherry MX style.

I like the idea of the Clickiez switches, but they are a tad pricey, and out of stock.

Right now I am using box jade switches and they're pretty good. I ordered a Keychron K8 Pro, since it was the cheapest option with QMK/VIA support that I could find. But I got the Gateron Pro Blue switches, because that was what was in stock. I wanted to get Box Mute Jade switches, but those are out-of-stock until later this year.

Then I figured that, since I am going to buy switches anyway, might as well get something that will feel similar that a switch I loved in the past: Alps Orange.

I found one Reddit thread that said Holy Pandas were a good replacement. But that's an expensive switch. A set of switches is going to cost as much as what I paid for the keyboard.

Johnbo

02 Aug 2022, 19:52

I mean... those are the options, I dunno what else to tell you haha.

People are always asking for modern, Alps inspired switches. So someone finally puts in the work and the expensive R&D to make them, and then people are like "No not like that, I want them cheaper". It was a risky step taken to actually add something new to the "immense array" of mostly similar MX switches, and if people don't support this now in its infancy, how the heck do you expect it to grow and get the cheaper prices with economies of scale?

Just my two cents, but if you don't vote with your wallet you're never actually going to see the changes you want.

Sorry, rant over lol

Johnbo

02 Aug 2022, 20:11

Stepping off my high horse for a second though, if you prefer buckling spring and want hardware programmable, why not just get a Model M and soarers converter or equivalent?

apastuszak

02 Aug 2022, 22:04

A couple of things:

I like the idea of Clickiez. I don't like the idea of having to wait for them to come in stock now. I'd be willing to spend the money. But isn't the Clickiez trying to emulate the Alps click switches, and not the tactile ones?

As for the Model M. I own a New Model M and a Mini-M. Both are USB and will not work with a Soarer's Converter. I have vintage Model Ms also and a Soarer's Converter. But I need Windows keys. And, yes I know that I could program anything to be the Windows key with a Soarer's Converter. But muscle memory tells me the Windows key belongs between the Ctrl and Alt keys.

I really wish they made a Mini-M PS/2 so I could use a Soarer's converter with it. I could order a PS/2 New Model M, I guess.

Muirium
µ

02 Aug 2022, 22:11

USB can be programmed too. Either in hardware or software. I think you Windows guys have Autohotkey instead of Karabiner.

Lanrefni

03 Aug 2022, 00:01

There are pcb's designed to use either MX or Alps,my BFO-9000 can use both and also Kailh Low Profile Choc switches as well.

hellothere

03 Aug 2022, 01:48

apastuszak wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 18:28
But I am wondering if there is a guide anywhere for the closest MX style switch that matches old Alps switches. I know it's not going to be exact, but I'd like something close.
I don't know anybody who has played around with enough MX switches AND Alps switches to make this comparison, primarily because there are 1.32 billion different MX switches out there. Get yourself 10 loose orange Alps switches and put 'em into a tester, then buy one of those Ultimate Mx Switch Testers and start testing.

I think that, if you really wanted, you could hand-wire an Alps keyboard and use QMK.

thefarside

05 Aug 2022, 03:21

Muirium wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 22:11
USB can be programmed too. Either in hardware or software. I think you Windows guys have Autohotkey instead of Karabiner.
Agree - I don’t know anything about QMK or VIA firmware, but if you’re looking into custom keyboard programming AutoHotKey (AHK) would easily address most needs. I have an AHK script for different vintage keyboards to remap keys and enter long text strings and key combos, etc.

thefarside

05 Aug 2022, 04:02

apastuszak besides hardware remapping and windows keys is there anything else your looking for? I ask because a genuine alps switch in good condition is pretty great and with the right type of converter you can get a keyboard with keys in the location a windows key would be and remap them using the converter.

One example would be a Focus board with an AT connector with an AT to USB Soarer’s converter.

Another example would be an orange alps M0116 or M0115 that can have windows keys remapped using a good ADB to USB adapter.

Totally understand if your looking for something new and modern but these vintage boards can be fantastic if you get one in the right condition.

hellothere

06 Aug 2022, 05:13

Checking thread. Mu posted in this thread and hasn't mentioned his HHKB. I'm shocked. You OK, Mu? :D

> I ask because a genuine alps switch in good condition is pretty great and with the right type of converter you can get a keyboard with keys in the location a windows key would be and remap them using the converter.
Quoted for truth. I was surprised at how good orange, salmon, and cream damped Alps are if you clean them properly, do a little lube job, then paper mod.

> But isn't the Clickiez trying to emulate the Alps click switches, and not the tactile ones?
Yes. From their website:

"Featuring a Patent Pending multi mode click leaf design, this switch can be transformed from Clicky to Ultra High Tactile (think BKE level, but even more extreme) to super smooth Linear switch modes by simply moving the secondary switch leaf within the housing."

> And, yes I know that I could program anything to be the Windows key with a Soarer's Converter. But muscle memory tells me the Windows key belongs between the Ctrl and Alt keys.
Model M 122 key. You've got an extra two rows of keys to the left of the spacebar. I find it quite easy to get used to assigning one of those keys the task of the Windows key. Or use CTRL+ESC :)

Return to “Keyboards”