Is there a way to add lock lights to a Terminal Model M?

apastuszak

11 Nov 2022, 23:16

The title says it all, is there a way to add lock lights to a Terminal Model M, or M122?

Findecanor

11 Nov 2022, 23:49

I think someone talked about Soarer's converter supporting LEDs connected to the converter itself. Never used it myself though.
TMK's terminal-to-USB converter firmware does not seem to have it, but it shouldn't be to difficult to add, I think.

Muirium
µ

12 Nov 2022, 11:22

It does. The docs tell you the appropriate pins and resistor values.

The hard part is where to mount the LEDs. I’ve seen it done down on the barrel plate as underglow, but it’s not very convincing with opaque buckling spring caps. The classy way would be to drill up through the case and make a proper cluster for them. Lot of work to make it nice, but.

A part of me kinda wants to see a Model M with incandescent lock lights now. Or maybe even a Nixie tube spelling out the modes…
Spoiler:

pandrew

13 Nov 2022, 16:22

As far as I remember, the Terminal M cases are different from the normal Model M cases. It isn't just a normal model M with a blank sticker. So you can't just buy a fresh led sticker from Unicomp and make it look like a normal model M, I don't think it would look good.

dotdash

14 Nov 2022, 17:10

You could drill some holes in the case. The sticker would be slightly raised, but it would probably be ok. Soarers runs external leds as advertised. I ran my terminal M with some sloppy underkey leds for a bit. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20977
I got a strip of thin film mount leds to replace them with, but soldering those proved frustrating, and I ended up buttoning it up without the lights. I don't think it will be a big deal if you're not as adverse to modifying the original case as I am.

hellothere

22 Nov 2022, 02:57

Muirium wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 11:22
It does. The docs tell you the appropriate pins and resistor values.

The hard part is where to mount the LEDs. I’ve seen it done down on the barrel plate as underglow, but it’s not very convincing with opaque buckling spring caps. The classy way would be to drill up through the case and make a proper cluster for them. Lot of work to make it nice, but.

A part of me kinda wants to see a Model M with incandescent lock lights now. Or maybe even a Nixie tube spelling out the modes…
Spoiler:
Hmm. I wonder what the smallest size nixie tubes are.

hellothere

22 Nov 2022, 03:02

https://tubehobby.com/show_det.php?det=23 8mm x 5.5mm for the displayed number. I have "round" LEDs for keyboards that are 5mm.

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2022, 13:38

So tempting…

inmbolmie

22 Nov 2022, 18:24

My solution:

f122.png
f122.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 3115 times

That's just a project box with the soarer converter inside, attached to the keyboard case with magnets so can be removed/shared easily. The keyboard is stock, the only modification needed is to attach the magnets inside the case with blu-tac, double-sided tape or similar.

The keyboard is plugged to the box and the USB cable comes also from the box.

The locklights sticker was purchased from unicomp. That way the locklights are in the proper place but without a need to drill the case.

engr

22 Nov 2022, 19:07

inmbolmie wrote: The locklights sticker was purchased from unicomp.
Wait... So Unicomp actually has proper old locklight stickers for sale???

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2022, 19:22

They’re like Siri. They didn’t know what they’re got, they’ll give entirely different responses on repeated inquiries, and yet just to surprise you they sometimes absolutely have the goods. Maybe every 13th knock of your head against the wall? That’s — BANG — my — BANG — my — BANG — uh… — BANG

sharktastica

22 Nov 2022, 19:27

engr wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 19:07
inmbolmie wrote: The locklights sticker was purchased from unicomp.
Wait... So Unicomp actually has proper old locklight stickers for sale???
Yes, they're on their LED Overlay page.
Muirium wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 19:22
They’re like Siri. They didn’t know what they’re got, they’ll give entirely different responses on repeated inquiries, and yet just to surprise you they sometimes absolutely have the goods. Maybe every 13th knock of your head against the wall? That’s — BANG — my — BANG — my — BANG — uh… — BANG
It's been on their website for many many years.

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2022, 19:35

The SSK barrel frames weren’t. There’s several in the box currently en route to Kmnov.

They were like that with the last remaining inventory of industrial M shells back in the day as well. You had to know the secret handshake. (Or just speak phonetically, going by that thread, perhaps!)

sharktastica

22 Nov 2022, 20:27

I don't necessarily dispute what you said (especially "they don't know what they got" [in their warehouse]), but in this case, it's something that can be found on their website and has been for years. Regarding the SSK barrel plates and industrial cases, both were in fact added to their website after that thread. The "Frame-84Key" option on their Cover Sets page is the old SSK barrel frames. The industrial cases had their own page, but they removed it after they finally ran out a year or so ago. My guess is that after the 2000s ended and possibility of having to assemble new keyboards for IBM ended with it (which they certainly did, and even late into the 00s), they probably went through a lot of things and thought "why not sell it".

In regards to talking with them, I've always found that separating enthusiast lingo and figuring out IBM's equivalents always helps with conversation. I've not really had issues with them since. They're more focused on B2B anyway, and no doubt they're just to using the terms drilled into them from IBM and Lexmark eras.

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2022, 20:58

I was exaggerating, right enough, but well agreed that we’re not really their audience; thus the history of miscommunications. We were asking them to make SSKs for years and years before the new kid showed up and finally got them shipping.

In fact, some of us were even designing them. Then rage quit for some reason even I don’t remember. so Unicomp was likely right not to work with him in this case!

No, it got further than I remembered. :o

wobbled

22 Nov 2022, 21:17

Muirium wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 20:58
I was exaggerating, right enough, but well agreed that we’re not really their audience; thus the history of miscommunications. We were asking them to make SSKs for years and years before the new kid showed up and finally got them shipping.

In fact, some of us were even designing them. Then rage quit for some reason even I don’t remember. so Unicomp was likely right not to work with him in this case!

No, it got further than I remembered. :o
Interesting seeing these old threads. I think I bought a board from Mer Forever a few years ago on ebay where he went by '1avid_collector' and had an ass load of NIB SSKs.
Guessing he didn't work with Unicomp afterall as their final product SSK looked very different to his renders, and came years later

Muirium
µ

23 Nov 2022, 09:30

Correct. My thread digging last night was in search of a memory I have where the young Unicomp lead of the actual shipping SSK project shared his experience and pics. Couldn’t find it though. Could have been deep in some other dozen page thread, like usual on DT. :lol:

All Emmer achieved was getting them to the point of publishing his render on Facebook—on April Fools day!—and giving them direct evidence of the demand for a tenkeyless Unicomp M. He wasn’t involved in the actual design, development or production of the Mini M. But he gets partial credit for his persistence.

fohat
Elder Messenger

23 Nov 2022, 15:39

Muirium wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 09:30

All Emmer achieved
I think that he should also be credited with really pushing and popularizing "screw mods" as an alternative to traditional "bolt mods"

Personally, I have always done full-blown "bolt mods" because I wanted to peel the layers of the internal assembly apart and thoroughly clean every component. And I really like the idea of having a nut (and a washer, if possible) for strength and ease of adjustment.

But his concept was valid - there is usually no particular reason to disassemble the inner layers - and a screw mod is dramatically faster and easier if you just want to remedy broken rivets.

https://www.engineeringchoice.com/what- ... and-screw/

Muirium
µ

23 Nov 2022, 23:24

Cool, I never realised he was responsible for screw mods becoming a thing. Definite second feather in his hat!

Is that his website?

fohat
Elder Messenger

24 Nov 2022, 00:15

Ha ha, no. That is a "screw vs bolt" definition.

For a while he was selling screw-modded Model Ms, I think that it was a hobby/business (typical former engineer .... ) and he was all in. As I recall he actually had somebody make custom boxes and styrofoam inserts for him, and he was doing thorough testing and cleaning before letting them out the door. I didn't buy one but saw the pictures and it looked like a premium product selling at a premium price.

Return to “Keyboards”