Deskthority Secret Santa

guidemetothelight

01 Dec 2022, 14:25

Hey Guys

are there any plans to do some kind of secret santa this year ?
I think that could be good fun & shipping shouldnt be a problem if we do region specific groups ?

Edit: its happening:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27778
Last edited by guidemetothelight on 14 Dec 2022, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

01 Dec 2022, 18:26

I guess it’s now or never. It was a fun ritual in the past, that’s for sure. (Though once again, I’m abroad for the festive season so must rule myself out.)

You’re right about keeping it regional. If anyone wants Ito join in, I suggest speaking up pretty soon; and saying where you’re cool shipping to.

ArtyomTheMetroHopper

01 Dec 2022, 22:27

I would be game! What would we need to do in order to opt in? Got some stuff I can give gift

Delta Research

01 Dec 2022, 22:40

I'd be open to doing a secret santa, it would be fun to do one.

Muirium
µ

01 Dec 2022, 22:49

So far then:

Germany
England
USA

Might be too late for Christmas shipping between all those.

wobbled

01 Dec 2022, 23:01

These started in early - mid November previously. Personally, I think it's too late to set one up now

Muirium
µ

01 Dec 2022, 23:28

If Santa’s really close and gets a move on, it’s doable. But no sea crossings. Those reindeer are already booked.

Also, maybe skip Britain. There’s just too much gaining going on here.
When are the postal strikes?

Thursday 1 December

Friday 9 December
Sunday 11 December

Wednesday 14 December
Thursday 15 December

Friday 23 December
Saturday 24 December

digital_matthew

02 Dec 2022, 03:50

I'd be game to ship in the U.S.A.

ArtyomTheMetroHopper

02 Dec 2022, 09:04

Muirium wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 23:28
If Santa’s really close and gets a move on, it’s doable. But no sea crossings. Those reindeer are already booked.

Also, maybe skip Britain. There’s just too much gaining going on here.
When are the postal strikes?

Thursday 1 December

Friday 9 December
Sunday 11 December

Wednesday 14 December
Thursday 15 December

Friday 23 December
Saturday 24 December
Unfortunately rather true :cry:

headphone_jack

02 Dec 2022, 18:33

Been waiting for a revival of this tradition ever since I joined this forum. I can ship within the USA. Happy someone is finally taking the reins!

TNT

02 Dec 2022, 19:10

I mean, who says that a secret Santa present must arrive on point at Christmas? I'd be totally down for it, even if we might be a little bit late :)

kmnov2017

02 Dec 2022, 20:11

Who wants to take the initiative to set this up/Match names, etc.?

Ideally it should be someone who's been on DT for a while. Compgeke, who's a DT admin, used to run this in the past ? Anyone messaged him yet ?

Muirium
µ

02 Dec 2022, 20:46

Seeing as I won’t be shipping or receiving anything myself, I can handle it if everyone’s up for that. ;)

I suggest a pseudorandom system where people can define which geography they’re happy sending their parcel to. We’ll need to play tight with customs declarations (outside of the EU) as well.

I envision entrants submitting a omething like a google form (or private message) structured like this:
  • Username
  • Country
  • Are you willing to ship to Europe? Or lonely Britain?
  • Are you willing to ship to North America?
  • Are you willing to ship to the Rest of the World?
  • Have a request for your Santa?
The shipping regions may work better as a tick box list. I do realise there’s a difference between Korea and Chile.

kmnov2017

02 Dec 2022, 22:06

Muirium wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 20:46
Seeing as I won’t be shipping or receiving anything myself, I can handle it if everyone’s up for that. ;)

I suggest a pseudorandom system where people can define which geography they’re happy sending their parcel to. We’ll need to play tight with customs declarations (outside of the EU) as well.

I envision entrants submitting a omething like a google form (or private message) structured like this:
  • Username
  • Country
  • Are you willing to ship to Europe? Or lonely Britain?
  • Are you willing to ship to North America?
  • Are you willing to ship to the Rest of the World?
  • Have a request for your Santa?
The shipping regions may work better as a tick box list. I do realise there’s a difference between Korea and Chile.
You are up Muirium!

Start a new thread titled Secret Santa 2022, set the rules and let's game on. Your "gifting ettiquete" from a few years ago made perfect sense, so make that part of the rules.

To keep shipping easy, stress free, fast and customs free for everyone let's keep this region specific - EU to EU, Britain to Britain, etc. etc.

Muirium
µ

02 Dec 2022, 22:11

kmnov2017 wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 22:06
Your "gifting ettiquete" from a few years ago made perfect sense, so make that part of the rules.
It did? Care to refresh my memory? :P

Anyway, I agree with what you’re saying. I’d prefer to keep things regional, too, though some leeway is required depending on how many people exactly sign up. Generally need 3+ in a given region to be viable. Self Santa isn’t quite what this is for. :lol:

headphone_jack

05 Dec 2022, 18:59

Just let us know when you have a signup sheet open! The sooner the better, we all know how swamped the postal service can be around the holidays.

guidemetothelight

06 Dec 2022, 15:34

TNT wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 19:10
I mean, who says that a secret Santa present must arrive on point at Christmas? I'd be totally down for it, even if we might be a little bit late :)
yes, me too ! I dont care for when it arrives , i just love the tradition :D

guidemetothelight

06 Dec 2022, 15:36

headphone_jack wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 18:59
Just let us know when you have a signup sheet open! The sooner the better, we all know how swamped the postal service can be around the holidays.
I agree to that ! If you would take on that task Mu , that would be greatly appreciated :D
Even if we all recieve our new toys in january

ArtyomTheMetroHopper

06 Dec 2022, 16:14

What is the standard on gifts for secret Santa? Don't want to give too less or too much :lol:

Muirium
µ

06 Dec 2022, 16:39

Therein lies the question! It’s varied wildly in the past. I’d say “a popularly desirable keyboard and some miscellaneous other smaller goodies”, especially if tailored to the person you’re gifting to. Hypkx did that when they picked a Marquardt Mini just for me, some years ago. They knew who was getting it and chose wisely, much to my delight.

I’m AFK just now, typing this on the phone, but what I’m thinking of putting together is a Google Form with multiple choice questions regarding geography, patience and generosity. The better the info, the better the matchmaking I can do. But yes, most things will surely arrive well after Christmas. We’re about a month late to this! :lol:

guidemetothelight

06 Dec 2022, 17:23

ArtyomTheMetroHopper wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 16:14
What is the standard on gifts for secret Santa? Don't want to give too less or too much :lol:
Good question .I do have a board that i had the intent of selling right now, that would be a perfect fit. (i think).
But me being pretty young and only earning moderately, iam quite certian that some people´s gifts would make me feel a bit ashamed for my contribution.

For Info: I would mainly ship to germany , but would also be ok with other parts of europe if shipping costs dont get crazy on me :D

Btw , big thanks to you Mu for organizing this <3

kmnov2017

06 Dec 2022, 17:29

Muirium wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 16:39
... “a popularly desirable keyboard and some miscellaneous other smaller goodies" ....
That is the gifting etiquette I was talking about...

guidemetothelight

06 Dec 2022, 17:39

kmnov2017 wrote:
Could you guys maybe give examples of what would have been a fairly standard gift back in the day ?

kmnov2017

06 Dec 2022, 18:37

guidemetothelight wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 17:39
kmnov2017 wrote:
Could you guys maybe give examples of what would have been a fairly standard gift back in the day ?
Have a look at the threads from 2017 and 18. I've seen NIB model Ms, NIB pingmasters, etc...

Muirium
µ

06 Dec 2022, 21:40

Trying to scare folks off? :lol:

Even a modern Chinese keyboard would be a welcome gift, if tailored to the recipient’s tastes. Like a little sixty full of clickbar MX clones for me, for instance, if I were taking part. I like ‘em small and I’ve never tried modern Cherry “clones.” Now they’re supposedly quite foxy, that would be an authentically welcome introduction.

Shipping out your heirloom Pingmaster is a bit much. :P

thefarside

08 Dec 2022, 06:58

Sounds fun! Count me in. I can ship in the USA. I wouldn’t be able to ship until the week before Christmas if that’s ok.

Muirium
µ

12 Dec 2022, 12:25

Sorry about stalling all of this. Daily life has intervened to steal away my time again. I won't be able to assist much, as I’m on the hook for more home moving, and then I fly out to California next week.

From what I've seen: there's *amost* enough interest in doing this, though we're very late. If someone else wants to take over, that's great. But is Secret New Year Santa still appealing? :lol:

Delta Research

12 Dec 2022, 12:32

A secret santa is interesting, count me in for this. I can ship USA and maybe Canada. Not sure on what I should be gifting though.

guidemetothelight

12 Dec 2022, 15:16

Muirium wrote:
12 Dec 2022, 12:25
But is Secret New Year Santa still appealing? :lol:
Yes. :)

Muirium
µ

12 Dec 2022, 17:34

Okay, if Kmnov is up for playing master of ceremonies, I say let it rip!

Return to “Keyboards”