adapting a Trackpoint to a Model F?

AndyJ

05 Dec 2022, 16:24

I have a Model M board with a Trackpoint. I like the Trackpoint a lot, but I don't like the "enhanced" keyboard layout much, and I'm moving back to the old Model F. I'll miss the Trackpoint, though.

Has anyone managed to retrofit Trackpoint bits to a Model F? Is there room in the F for the Trackpoint bits? I don't mind drilling and filing mounting holes or modifying the nearby keycaps slightly to make room

engr

05 Dec 2022, 21:46

You may want to check with Ellipse, I think he had posted a picture of someone outfitting a reproduction model F with a Trackpoint-type device.

AndyJ

06 Dec 2022, 05:23

Thanks! That gave me something more specific to search for.

I found a video of an new F TKL with a Trackpoint mentioned in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11046&start=6750

some useful information here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24205&p=467958&hili ... nt#p467958

It mentioned Lexmark will sell the Trackpoint bits as replacement parts, which means I wouldn't have to cannibalize a Model M.

edit:
and here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9772&start=#p287301

vyquad

08 Dec 2022, 00:01

engr wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 21:46
You may want to check with Ellipse, I think he had posted a picture of someone outfitting a reproduction model F with a Trackpoint-type device.
wasnt that the one with the weird ass cut up keycaps?

engr

08 Dec 2022, 00:41

vyquad wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 00:01
wasnt that the one with the weird ass cut up keycaps?
This is the one I had in mind.

AndyJ

30 Dec 2022, 22:23

The last time I actually *used* a Trackpoint was... maybe back in the 1990s. I dug the Model M out and hooked it up, and... it's better than nothing, but it's not as fast as reaching a thumb down to the Logitech trackball that sits just below the space bar. The trackball has it beat six ways from Sunday as far as precision and ease-of-use, even it it does suck up its own portion of desk space.

Well, better to learn now than later.

JCMax

31 Dec 2022, 02:00

I've used them enough on several laptops that I will concur. Although I will go back to my vertical mouse rather than a trackball. I have to say vertical I think is a bit more ergo than a regular one. Though I wouldn't mind trying a trackball...🤔

AndyJ

01 Jan 2023, 04:42

I'm 100% trackball, though the only one I can stand is the Logitech "Marble Mouse." Why do they call it a mouse? Never mind, it's from Logitech, they're infamous for stupid marketing decisions.

I have Model M with a built-in trackball, but it's way off in the upper-right-hand corner, pretty much useless since I'm left-handed.

Ellipse

11 Jan 2023, 23:25

As an update I now have the 3 trackpoint G H B keys in stock, dye sublimated by the factory. They are on the Extra Keys product page. I mailed these 3 types of Unicomp keys to the factory and they did the sublimation work and mailed the keys back to me.

AndyJ

13 Jan 2023, 05:02

Where would the Extra Keys product page be?

Ellipse

02 May 2023, 03:57

AndyJ sorry for not seeing your post. If you have not found the Extra Keys page, the direct link is below:

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product ... d-keycaps/

AndyJ

05 May 2023, 08:15

Ah! I saw "Unicomp" and was looking there. Thanks for the pointer.

Return to “Keyboards”