DTK SPK 101

ParachutePeople

08 Dec 2022, 02:48

ImagePicked this up for $30 on eBay. It was real nasty, but cleaned up nice. I thought the chop in the top left look pretty cool. Uses white SKCM Alps, and they are really nice! Keyboard was manufactured in 1990. Bottom left blank key is actually a backslash, but registers in Soares software as Europe_2, whatever that is. Was able to remap the key to windows key though, so it’s great for everyday use. Would highly recommend getting! The RAV Enterprises sticker was on it when I got it and I kind of like it, so I left it.

Polecat

08 Dec 2022, 04:16

ParachutePeople wrote:
ImagePicked this up for $30 on eBay. It was real nasty, but cleaned up nice. I thought the chop in the top left look pretty cool. Uses white SKCM Alps, and they are really nice! Keyboard was manufactured in 1990. Bottom left blank key is actually a backslash, but registers in Soares software as Europe_2, whatever that is. Was able to remap the key to windows key though, so it’s great for everyday use. Would highly recommend getting! The RAV Enterprises sticker was on it when I got it and I kind of like it, so I left it.
Nice, I have one too! DTK was a big supplier in the early days of build-it-yourself PC clones. And they had computer cases with the same angular styling. Their BIOS chips were more IBM-compatible than IBM's, or at least they let you do memory and video upgrades that IBM's didn't.

The blank "any" key was mapped to other functions in "other" (non-US) layouts. Usually <> or ~` or \|. The OS installation determined what it was mapped to. That was called "code page" in the early days. Focus, Monterey, and others used the same layout, with the same blank key on US versions. ISO keyboards with the short left shift often have that key next to left shift rather than on the bottom row.

ParachutePeople

08 Dec 2022, 05:22

Polecat wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 04:16
ParachutePeople wrote:
Nice, I have one too! DTK was a big supplier in the early days of build-it-yourself PC clones. And they had computer cases with the same angular styling. Their BIOS chips were more IBM-compatible than IBM's, or at least they let you do memory and video upgrades that IBM's didn't.

The blank "any" key was mapped to other functions in "other" (non-US) layouts. Usually <> or ~` or \|. The OS installation determined what it was mapped to. That was called "code page" in the early days. Focus, Monterey, and others used the same layout, with the same blank key on US versions. ISO keyboards with the short left shift often have that key next to left shift rather than on the bottom row.
Glad they added the any key, really future proofed it. They picked such a great switch too. This keyboard is a blast to type on.

Return to “Keyboards”