Topre Sliders & Feeling

RBithrey

24 Dec 2022, 15:59

Hey all,

Just received an HHKB Hybrid Type S through the door for review, and have been using it for the last couple of days for testing purposes, and have noticed it's a lot crisper to type on than the RealForce R2 PFU I've also got. Both use the same silenced 45g switches, and the only difference I can find is that this HHKB uses black sliders, and the RealForce uses purple ones - would the slider have an impact on actual feel, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers!

Muirium
µ

24 Dec 2022, 18:47

The Realforce has a metal plate. (Steel, I think.) The HHKB uses its plastic case for its plate, smoothing out the bottoming-out impact. Opinions are divided on which way is better: I quite like them both, and appreciate the very noticeable difference. I use my HHKBs a hell of a lot more than my Realforce, but my fingers are always delighted when I pull it out at its sheer shift in character. I prefer the HHKB softness, overall, but I do like having them both for variety.

As for responsiveness: my Realforce is 55g while my HHKBs are 45g, so yes the HHKBs feel faster anyway. But they're getting harder all the time with my heavy use, so it's not only that. My sense is that the Realforce's plate is the real differentiator.

JCMax

24 Dec 2022, 23:33

Muirium wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 18:47
The Realforce has a metal plate. (Steel, I think.)

I prefer the HHKB softness, overall, but I do like having them both for variety.

As for responsiveness: my Realforce is 55g while my HHKBs are 45g, so yes the HHKBs feel faster anyway. But they're getting harder all the time with my heavy use, so it's not only that. My sense is that the Realforce's plate is the real differentiator.
Agreed. The HHKB keys feel a bit more plush. And their tactility is not quite as sharp as the Realforce, which is a plus in my book. I am also thinking it is the plastic plate. Bottom line is the HHKB is easier on the fingers than the Realforce.

I really hope my HHKB doesn't get as stiff as the 55g with break-in. As much as I like 55g and 45g, I type a bit faster and comfortably on 45g.

BTW, I have HHKB Hybrid Type S, a Realforce R2 55g and a Realforce 45g Silent.

wobbled

25 Dec 2022, 01:38

The Hybrid Type S domes despite being 45g, are softer than the 45g pro 2 and realforce domes. This will contribute massively to the feel, as much as it being a plastic plate vs steel on a realforce

Muirium
µ

25 Dec 2022, 03:48

Yeah, I briefly tried Gokart's HHKB and found it markedly lighter than my black Pro 2, let alone my heavily used 2014 white Pro 2. I instantly liked that about it. Not so fond on the case design, but the feel is very good.

To be honest, I'd rather Topre domes got more tactile with age than lost it entirely. I've nothing against my beloved first HHKB at all, a million and more miles words on the clock and it's still an absolute joy of a keyboard for me. Just happen to prefer the light touch of a younger board on first press, and even then only a little bit. I certainly don't want either one losing its Topre tactility, and I’m glad they don't.

JCMax

25 Dec 2022, 05:41

Muirium wrote:
Not so fond on the case design, but the feel is very good.
The only real gripe I have about the case design is the HHKB logo being in the top right of the board. I wish they had kept the cool big tattoo in the lower right hand corner of the keyboard like previous HHKB's. That was perfect!

I don't mind the battery pack on the back like most people seem to. To be honest I think it adds a nice bit of flair to the shape. It's more than just a rectangular block. But I'm weird anyway. :ugeek:
wobbled wrote:
25 Dec 2022, 01:38
The Hybrid Type S domes despite being 45g, are softer than the 45g pro 2 and realforce domes. This will contribute massively to the feel, as much as it being a plastic plate vs steel on a realforce
Is that because Topre are making them unique from other domes they used in previous generations? Or are all of the newest rubber domes they make going to be like that now?
Muirium wrote:
To be honest, I'd rather Topre domes got more tactile with age than lost it entirely. I've nothing against my beloved first HHKB at all, a million and more miles words on the clock and it's still an absolute joy of a keyboard for me. Just happen to prefer the light touch of a younger board on first press, and even then only a little bit. I certainly don't want either one losing its Topre tactility, and I’m glad they don't.
I'll probably see about getting replacement domes to swap out if I feel like mine are getting too stiff. But hopefully that's going to be many years down the road. I don't mind an extra stiff space-bar though, so I might leave that in. :lol:

wobbled

25 Dec 2022, 18:57

The lighter domes is just a Hybrid Type S thing, PFU wanted it to have a distinctively softer keypress. If you pick up a HHKB Classic (still 3rd gen) then the domes are much more comparable to a NIB pro 2

Return to “Keyboards”