What to do with ALPS SKFR switches

minister2020

19 Jan 2023, 15:17

I acquired a pair of old replacement keyboards for some real old laptops where the switches were still mechanical. They were the low profile ALPS SKFR which actually feel pretty decent, especially the linears that are so smooth presumably since they're effectively NOS. I was thinking that I'd follow a Instructables post I found of how to convert a laptop keyboard to USB to use them, but I think the connector on the PCB is non-standard and it looks like quite a difficult job. At least a job that's outside of my capabilities since I've never even held a soldering iron before.

Does anyone here have experience with these switches? I read that they have a different pin setup to normal ALPS, does that mean they won't work with the Hasu 60% PCB? Are there any places that I could otherwise pay to do the conversion for me in the EU? I've only found people offering stuff like switch soldering and they don't seem interested in this much bigger project. I'm a bit lost but it would be a shame to let the switches just get degrade.

Return to “Keyboards”