IBM capsense usb util not working

corvax

05 Feb 2023, 20:41

Hey y'all!

I brought my IBM 3178 "blue switch" Model F back to life recently.

Only problem is multiple keystrokes if I hit the keys a bit too hard. Therefore I want to calibrate the switches with capsense.

As there is QMK flashed on the controller it won't work with the xwhatsit capsense util, I know.

But how in the world can one flash the xwhatsit firmware onto the controller?

There is so much great documentation for everything regarding xwhatsit, but I just can't find any info on how to flash original xwhatsit firmware onto a 3178/F122 controller.

What am I missing?

Muirium
µ

06 Feb 2023, 13:16

Xwhatsit’s firmware is just like other firmwares: a simple hex file you flash onto the controller.

His documentation was all written before other firmwares were created, so he assumes your controller hardware is already running his firmware. (He built them all himself back then and flashed them too.)

Since yours is running QMK, you’ll need to put it into bootloader mode the QMK way. Perhaps shorting the appropriate pins on the controller (as described in Xwhatsit’s docs) is the simplest method. You can then flash your desired hex file using QMK Toolbox or the like.

Aruberon

06 Feb 2023, 14:01

Unrelated to recalibrating the cap sense, but more about the multi keystroke in general:

Ive restored one of these prior, im assuming you are also running the Jahota Xwhatsit converter?

In my experience these boards are generally very sensitive, way more so than a XT/AT F, Id assume its something to do with the awful plastic case, too much flex together with the very sensitive nature of capacitive switches.

Now I got lucky with mine and the foam was in decent condition, so I never replaced mine, and only ever experience the multi keystroke towards the center keys, and only if absolutely hammering them down (same as the issue you are having) with way more force necessary than needed for actuation.

Did you ever replace the foam in yours, and if not is it in ok condition?
If not id almost suggest starting there before messing around with calibrating the overall capsense, if thats even a thing with the model F converters.

If you do manage to calibrate it however, and it does yield results, let us know, I might even look into it myself then. :P

corvax

18 Feb 2023, 15:13

Thanks y'all!
Problem was the grounding. The wire wasn't attached properly. Now it's running like a dream.

Return to “Keyboards”