Removing the birth certificate on a model M without killing it

dellmodelm

07 Feb 2023, 21:54

I just bought a January 1987 IBM model M (1391401) that's super dirty and needs a good cleaning. I'm talking mud, dirt, hair, grease, you name it. I want to throw the whole case into my dishwasher (for real), but the problem is it would destroy the "birth certificate" label on the back. How can I remove the label without destroying it? Only tools I have are a few razor blades and a handheld hair dryer. I'm going to dishwasher the case no matter what, but if there's a way to remove the label first and reattach it later, I'd prefer to do that.

(I did reach out to a well-known member of the model M community to get his feedback, but he doesn't agree with me that I should remove the label. I am going ahead with the "dishwasher mod" however, so the label needs to come off.)

fohat
Elder Messenger

07 Feb 2023, 23:30

I use naptha (old-fashioned cigarette lighter fluid) for most adhesive removal projects, and it would likely discolor but not otherwise damage the label. In that scenario, plan to re-affix it with clear tape because it may be too flimsy to lay properly.

Another thing that I have done to protect a label is to securely tape a plastic rectangle over it. This will definitely survive being submerged but a dishwasher might be too aggressive, particularly if the water is more than warm.

dellmodelm

08 Feb 2023, 03:57

fohat wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 23:30
I use naptha (old-fashioned cigarette lighter fluid)
I have lighter fluid! What do you do with it?

fohat
Elder Messenger

08 Feb 2023, 04:18

Be careful, naptha does not play well with either paint or plastic. It has been years since I removed a Model M label. To remove adhesive, I squirt a very small amount all around the perimeter and give it a few seconds to work, then carefully start peeling from one corner. It is best to gently lift it with a razor blade or a very thin blade (eg a utility knife) so that you don't wrinkle it. If it is being stubborn peel up a few mm, squirt in a couple of drops, peel a bit more, etc.

As soon as it is up, wipe up all the fluid from the plastic before it has a chance to do any damage. And press the label flat. Good luck!

Return to “Keyboards”