It's possible to build a Model M keyboard with a lot of parts except the "internals"?

DarkBRl

14 Mar 2023, 03:07

I now have a opportunity to buy a Model M keyboard that comes only with the keycaps, switches, frame, and other parts like screws, plastics and rubber. I have the motivation and patience to do something with this, but i don't know if it's possible. Does somebody knows if there is something I can to evolve this in a working keyboard?

Thank you!

Lanrefni

14 Mar 2023, 08:40

Depending on the model you may be able to order a replacement membrane and controller from Unicomp.

DarkBRl

14 Mar 2023, 13:12

Lanrefni wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 08:40
Depending on the model you may be able to order a replacement membrane and controller from Unicomp.
I would need the "core" of the keyboard as well, that black piece that hold the keys. Even if i could buy it from Unicomp, would be probably to expensive to import to my country. Well, now that I think about it, there isn't much i can do with those pieces.

Muirium
µ

14 Mar 2023, 13:40

The black piece that holds the keys is called a barrel frame. It's the heart of the keyboard. Unicomp does sell them but yes their shipping gets weird as soon as you're outside the US.

You're probably best off scoring a whole Model M keyboard, then mixing the best parts from both.

DarkBRl

14 Mar 2023, 14:10

Muirium wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 13:40
The black piece that holds the keys is called a barrel frame. It's the heart of the keyboard. Unicomp does sell them but yes their shipping gets weird as soon as you're outside the US.

You're probably best off scoring a whole Model M keyboard, then mixing the best parts from both.
Yes, that seems to be the case. Unfortunately there is few Model M keyboard on the market here (I've only found 2) and they are more expensive than what I should spend on one.
I will keep paying attention until I found a good keyboard for a good price so I can replace my BTC-5339SX. It doesn't break like cheap keyboards but I just can't appreciate the feel of the keys. Foam and foil are just weird to me. Maybe because of how old this keyboard is, the foam must be in bad condition.

Thank you all!

fohat
Elder Messenger

14 Mar 2023, 14:40

The barrel plate is just a dumb piece of plastic, if the metal back plate is also missing that is more problematic.

If you can get a box of parts for a very cheap price, it may be worth it if you plan to stay in the Model M game.

Muirium
µ

14 Mar 2023, 16:09

It won't work unless they're both there, and the membranes, and everything else! The barrel plate is by far the most detailed component, though, and literally positions all the springs and flippers into their right place. I certainly consider it the heart of the keyboard.

Agreed on the parts suggestion. If M is in your future, so is its repairs! :lol:

DarkBRl

14 Mar 2023, 20:27

The metal back plate is missing as well. I think that the price of those pieces is cheap, but I don't know if I will be able to buy some other thing related to Model M where I live. I will just keep on watch.

AndyJ

15 Mar 2023, 23:47

Unicomp has the circuit membranes for US$12 on their web site. They don't show the barrel plate or the controller, but that's probably because their web site is a disaster.

https://www.pckeyboard.com/ Use their email address and tell them what parts you need. I bet they'll sell you some.

fohat
Elder Messenger

16 Mar 2023, 02:14

AndyJ wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 23:47
Unicomp has
Outbound international shipping from the US is always obscenely expensive.

DarkBRl

16 Mar 2023, 03:26

Well, now that I think about it. The pieces I said earlier cost about $47. A full Model M here would cost $208. If I could get the missing parts which seems to be the: barrel plate, membranes, metal back plate, controllers and cables for less than $100 (adding the price of delivery to where I live), it could be worth it.
I will contact Unicomp later.

Muirium
µ

16 Mar 2023, 11:09

Ah, the Brazil problem…

Given Ms cost so much more where you are, I’d give Ellipse’s Model Fs a look. How much is his shipping to you, I wonder?

I try to avoid importing things from America to where I live for similar reasons: UK customs are awful for handling fees and arbitrary taxation. But you guys definitely get it worse in Brazil.

You could try my own technique of picking it up when you’re on holiday…

DarkBRl

16 Mar 2023, 16:09

Muirium wrote:
Ah, the Brazil problem…

Given Ms cost so much more where you are, I’d give Ellipse’s Model Fs a look. How much is his shipping to you, I wonder?

I try to avoid importing things from America to where I live for similar reasons: UK customs are awful for handling fees and arbitrary taxation. But you guys definitely get it worse in Brazil.

You could try my own technique of picking it up when you’re on holiday…
Isn't the Ellipse’s Model Fs more expensive?

Here in Brazil the taxes and fees related to imports are absolutely weird, it's a lottery! First, if what you're buying costs less than 50$, it won't be taxed. If it costs more than that, sometimes they can't tax all products that comes, It's not rare to have your purchase not taxed. It depends a lot on the size of what you are buying and the price. And because of that, it's extremely common to Chinese products been declared as gifts or extremely cheap. It's such a weird system, you never know if you will be paying 60% more of what you're buying.

I was thinking about what I said earlier and maybe it would be better to buy an used unicomp keyboard on ebay (or other kind of keyboard). There is that service called Shipito that seems to receive the product I buy and, for some price, they send it to me through some "cheaper" service. This will avoid the gigantic shipping prices that it's common on most products on ebay. I need to learn more about what fees i will (or not) be paying when the product arrives Brazil.

Picking it up there is a good technique, but it doesn't look like I am going to US very soon haha.

I'll search more about the keyboards, imports, and fees when I am more free from activities of my college.

Muirium
µ

16 Mar 2023, 19:36

Yeah, you guys are in a similar position to us: anything from anywhere abroad is subject to seizure by the government who will charge a random handling fee and tax. I’ve been stung for >100% the item’s value as I originally paid for it! A hard lesson learned.

But if it’s from China, and declared as an obvious lie of “gift” or “sample” they’ll just let it pass. Way to protect local industry, guys. :roll:

I mentioned Ellipse’s costly Fs as though they are __muito caro__ so, sadly, are Model Ms where you live. If you can get one of his boards for 2× the price of a Unicomp: go for it, they’re easily twice as good. My original Kishsaver is worth far more than a handful of Unicomps to me, or those who occasionally make offers for it! :lol: Being a single person, Ellipse may be easily talked into declaring it kindly for you, too. Customs should have no idea what it is if blank boxed.

depletedvespene

16 Mar 2023, 22:19

Muirium wrote:
Ah, the Brazil problem…
I read that phrase and thought it'd be a comment about the extra alpha key produced by splitting the right Shift on the inner side. Instead, it's about tariffs. Oh, well.

Muirium
µ

17 Mar 2023, 11:44

That's only a problem if you insist on it.

Only in Brazil! ;)

DarkBRl

17 Mar 2023, 16:21

Muirium wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 19:36
Yeah, you guys are in a similar position to us: anything from anywhere abroad is subject to seizure by the government who will charge a random handling fee and tax. I’ve been stung for >100% the item’s value as I originally paid for it! A hard lesson learned.

But if it’s from China, and declared as an obvious lie of “gift” or “sample” they’ll just let it pass. Way to protect local industry, guys. :roll:

I mentioned Ellipse’s costly Fs as though they are __muito caro__ so, sadly, are Model Ms where you live. If you can get one of his boards for 2× the price of a Unicomp: go for it, they’re easily twice as good. My original Kishsaver is worth far more than a handful of Unicomps to me, or those who occasionally make offers for it! :lol: Being a single person, Ellipse may be easily talked into declaring it kindly for you, too. Customs should have no idea what it is if blank boxed.
I will consider it! Those Ellipse's keyboards seems to be really good. I don't quite know the difference between a Model M and a Model F... I have to learn more about it. But for now I've looked ebay auctions and found that there are good offers. I've found an used 122 keys Model M that is an ugly condition but it's cheap and can be cleaned. If I found a way to import from there without having to pay more to Brazil than to the product, I will give it a try.
Muirium wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 11:44
That's only a problem if you insist on it.

Only in Brazil! ;)
Wow, one of the two I've found here have the same layout as that. The other is in a spanish layout.
Even through I'm brazilian, I got used, and now prefer an ANSI layout because of my BTC keyboard :lol:.

Muirium
µ

17 Mar 2023, 21:42

Fs are so compelling I already have the parts (in the USA, for a reason already mentioned!) ready to convert my final* M into an FSSK. F really is that much better. You touch it, you ain’t never going back. :lol:

*Well, I also have an NIB SSK but that’s a proper heirloom for the ages. Ain’t messing with that.

DarkBRl

18 Mar 2023, 01:49

Muirium wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 21:42
Fs are so compelling I already have the parts (in the USA, for a reason already mentioned!) ready to convert my final* M into an FSSK. F really is that much better. You touch it, you ain’t never going back. :lol:

*Well, I also have an NIB SSK but that’s a proper heirloom for the ages. Ain’t messing with that.
Wow. What is so great about them? The typing feeling, sound, structure? Judging by what you said, maybe it is better in all of these things!

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2023, 09:55

The typing feeling is the big one. F is slick smooth and the click is so much sharper and BIGGER than on M. You slide down and WHAM there it is! M's not a bad mechanism, but compared to F it's very muted and quite scratchy; nowhere near as clean.

My little 4704 Kishsaver is made of solid Zinc and weighs 3 kilos. So yeah, the build quality is quite something! Ellipse did the same with his remake. Even the caps are far ahead of Unicomp's. IBM / Lexmark / Unicomp each let the quality slide through the years.

The sound… you really need to watch some videos on the sound. Model F is instantly recognisable by ear alone! Not everyone loves it, mind. And you'll certainly get pushback if you use it somewhere quiet and public.

Honestly, I’m a total Model F fanboy so make of my opinion what you will. I really do rate them as the greatest clicky keyboards of all time, and only my equally beloved (tactile) Topre competes with them in my rotation. :ugeek:

fohat
Elder Messenger

18 Mar 2023, 14:30

Muirium wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 09:55

the click is so much sharper
This is it, boiled down to the essence.

I have become accustomed to tactility in general and a click is the best expression of that experience. And although any keyboard contains a variety of materials, the overall perception that you walk away with 99% of the time is "plastic" ....

That includes the Model M, but with a Model F you really perceive the "metal" singing out.

DarkBRl

18 Mar 2023, 18:43

I saw some videos of Model F typing, and I see that there is a big difference to a Model M. The sound is lot more "metallic". Really nice and unique (at least I don't remember such a metallic sound from other keyboards videos).
And this small keyboard weighing 3 KG is impressive! I wonder how much does the 122 key weights... 4KG, well I was expecting 5 because of the size difference, but it is still very heavy!

fohat
Elder Messenger

18 Mar 2023, 19:03

DarkBRl wrote:

The sound is lot more "metallic".
Personally, I do not particularly enjoy the sound of loud keyboards, the feel is what I lust for in the Model F.
Consider how much more solid and satisfying is the feel of metal compared to plastic ....

And although the floss mod does not change the sound of the M very much, it is very helpful for the F.

DarkBRl

18 Mar 2023, 19:45

fohat wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 19:03
DarkBRl wrote:

The sound is lot more "metallic".
Personally, I do not particularly enjoy the sound of loud keyboards, the feel is what I lust for in the Model F.
Consider how much more solid and satisfying is the feel of metal compared to plastic ....

And although the floss mod does not change the sound of the M very much, it is very helpful for the F.
I see, it makes sense. From what I can hear from videos, floss mod greatly reduces that resonance.

Well, talking about mods. Recently, looking through market sites I found a Mitsumi keyboard (the only one being sold). And I remembered someone talking about modding linear foam and foil BTC keyboards, replacing the spring with a buckling rubber from Mitsumi keyboards.
I am lucky that there is one for sale! I will buy it and try this mod (my first one :lol:). I hope it works for me.

Return to “Keyboards”