Does wireless keyboard actually have to be wireless?

DMA

15 Mar 2023, 17:21

OK, BLE, ability to take laptop with you without disconnecting, I get that.
But the keyboard itself lives on the table, near the monitor which definitely has USB power.
Do we really need battery in the keyboard then?

Muirium
µ

15 Mar 2023, 21:45

My Bluetooth keyboards don’t have such an easy, wire-compatible life. I use them away from power and displays. They are primarily for making the laptop / tablet form factor work for me. Namely: the keyboard and the screen should be very separate indeed. Typically the keyboard is on my lap, my favourite posture for typing.

So yes, definitely a battery, ideally charged when back on USB. The wired connection is a good fallback when charging but the Bluetooth magic is all about going untethered. Might as well just be USB if you have a wire.

DMA

15 Mar 2023, 22:07

Oh, so somebody actually types from their lap!

Where's your notebook when you do that? What do you use instead of the mouse?

I'm not trolling - I'm really trying to understand the usecase. Collecting "user stories", if you will. Mostly out of curiosity - however I look at it today, making controllers (let alone whole keyboards) isn't a viable business model, you just make some Chinese factories richer and support modern-day slavery thru that, collecting all the hate from numerous haters along the way, and - best case - making some petty change along the way.
I admire input.club's effort - but looks like what they do is only possible because every one of them has a full-time job.

Muirium
µ

15 Mar 2023, 22:14

Laptop goes on a table or whatever gets it up to the height I desire. I put my chair low. For me, the best ergonomics for typing are to have the keyboard right on my lap, low indeed. Display should be nowhere near down there!

I first got into this with an iPad and Hasu’s Bluetooth HHKB. Saves me no end of back pain.

Return to “Keyboards”