Small queries re. Unicomp 122's Single Usage Code controller

Tonsillolith

16 Mar 2023, 03:08

Hi clackers! I plan to order a big fat Unicomp 122, but I'm a noob when it comes to modifying Model M-era tech. I've read Sharktastica's page on the F13-24 problem and I would order the modified controller. Does anyone know:

1) if the new controller improves on the original's 2-key rollover, or is that an inescapable part of the M experience?
2) re. the two versions 5250 and 3270, will there be any difference in difficulty or overall functionality reassigning keys with Autohotkey (or similar)?

Many thanks and happy typing

Muirium
µ

16 Mar 2023, 11:17

2KRO is a fundamental flaw of membrane keyboards like the Model M. The exact membrane layout will define just how limiting that is in actual use.

Consumer Model Ms are usually pretty good at hiding it—they give the modifier keys special prominence in the matrix—but the vintage 122 I had was very poor in this respect and often denied my routine chords like Shift + Alt + alpha keys.

viewtopic.php?p=451764#p451764

sharktastica

16 Mar 2023, 14:06

Hey DT, sharktastica here. I've been summoned.
Tonsillolith wrote:
1) if the new controller improves on the original's 2-key rollover, or is that an inescapable part of the M experience?
No, it's a physical limitation of the membrane assembly. All Model Ms (including the latest Unicomp Mini M) are ultimately bound to 2KRO although they may have differently sized and layout matrices that changes exactly what combos work.
Tonsillolith wrote:
2) re. the two versions 5250 and 3270, will there be any difference in difficulty or overall functionality reassigning keys with Autohotkey (or similar)?
There are some differences. Unicomp have layout diagrams on their support page: PC-122 3270 and 5250. Looking at the bottom half, you can see that there are different multi-stroke keys on the left-side 5x2 bank and on the 3x2 nav bank. You should be able to remap them with AutoHotkey, but something to bear in mind that if you planned to use any of those combinations manually.

Tonsillolith

16 Mar 2023, 14:52

sharktastica wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 14:06
You should be able to remap them with AutoHotkey, but something to bear in mind
Thanks for the info! I do see the differences, but what effect will they have if I'm using the Single Usage Code controller and planning to remap them? (Sorry, I'm a massive noob in this area. I thought the freedom the SUC controller provided would override the standard version's multi-stroke limitations.) Are those default multi-strokes off-limits for relocating?

Thanks Muirium for your reply too!

pandrew

26 Mar 2023, 13:14

Unicomp very recently started shipping Raspberry Pi Pico based controllers with their New Model Ms.
Not sure what they ship with their PC122 keyboards, but if they ship the same, then it doesn't matter what firmware it comes with cause now we have open source VIAL-QMK: https://www.reddit.com/r/modelm/comment ... ollers_on/
And you can make it do whatever you want it to do.

Falkenroth

26 Mar 2023, 17:03

pandrew wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 13:14
Unicomp very recently started shipping Raspberry Pi Pico based controllers with their New Model Ms.
Not sure what they ship with their PC122 keyboards, but if they ship the same, then it doesn't matter what firmware it comes with cause now we have open source VIAL-QMK: https://www.reddit.com/r/modelm/comment ... ollers_on/
And you can make it do whatever you want it to do.
Interesting. I just took delivery of a New Model M last week. It took them 3 months to get me one. Also just got back my Mini Model M I sent to them to flash or repair the disconnect problem it would suffer from. Now I have a small label on my back sticker that it was serviced by Unicomp with a date. Probably to keep track of repaired Mini Ms. I'm sure they're slowly going through all of them.

pandrew

26 Mar 2023, 18:51

Falkenroth wrote:
Interesting. I just took delivery of a New Model M last week. It took them 3 months to get me one. Also just got back my Mini Model M I sent to them to flash or repair the disconnect problem it would suffer from. Now I have a small label on my back sticker that it was serviced by Unicomp with a date. Probably to keep track of repaired Mini Ms. I'm sure they're slowly going through all of them.
Interesting! Any chance I could ask you to post a picture of the Mini M's controller? The Mini M's controller is different shape from the one that I mentioned in the previous reply, but we believe they have been working on a pico based replacement for that too, so maybe we can write open source firmware for Mini M too.

Falkenroth

26 Mar 2023, 19:23

pandrew wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 18:51
Falkenroth wrote:
Interesting! Any chance I could ask you to post a picture of the Mini M's controller? The Mini M's controller is different shape from the one that I mentioned in the previous reply, but we believe they have been working on a pico based replacement for that too, so maybe we can write open source firmware for Mini M too.
My Mini M isn't new. I got it when it was released a few years ago. Or do you think they installed a new controller?

pandrew

26 Mar 2023, 19:32

Falkenroth wrote:
My Mini M isn't new. I got it when it was released a few years ago. Or do you think they installed a new controller?
Yes, it's possible, that's why I'd like to see the picture. It doesn't matter that the mechanics of the keyboard is older. You're the freshest Mini M repair recipient I know of, and they don't even currently have the Mini M listed for sale on Unicomp's website. If it had a disconnect problem, then it's possible it just had a USB port soldering problem that they fixed, or maybe you got lucky and they found a spare old controller in their factory. But it's also possible that you could have gotten a new controller.

Falkenroth

26 Mar 2023, 19:36

pandrew wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 19:32
Falkenroth wrote:
Yes, it's possible, that's why I'd like to see the picture. It doesn't matter that the mechanics of the keyboard is older. You're the freshest Mini M repair recipient I know of, and they don't even currently have the Mini M listed for sale on Unicomp's website. If it had a disconnect problem, then it's possible it just had a USB port soldering problem that they fixed, or maybe you got lucky and they found a spare old controller in their factory. But it's also possible that you could have gotten a new controller.
I don't think the controller was replaced. Here's some photos.
Attachments
Mini M 3.jpg
Mini M 3.jpg (948.66 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
Mini M 2.jpg
Mini M 2.jpg (863.79 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
Mini M .jpg
Mini M .jpg (761.72 KiB) Viewed 1362 times

pandrew

26 Mar 2023, 19:51

Falkenroth wrote:
You're right, this is the original controller, sorry for the bother!

Falkenroth

26 Mar 2023, 19:56

pandrew wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 19:51
Falkenroth wrote:
You're right, this is the original controller, sorry for the bother!
It was worth looking. They didn't tell me what they did so might as well open it up.

apastuszak

26 Mar 2023, 19:56

If you're getting an M122, I would recommend getting a PS/2 one and using a Soarer's Converter with it.

Here is my thread on a used M122 I bought and what I did to get single scan codes out of it, and what I programmed into my Soarer's Converter.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22168

Return to “Keyboards”