Unicomp New Model M is going to use a controleer with a Raspberry Pi Pico on it?

apastuszak

26 Mar 2023, 18:10

According this post on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/modelm/comment ... ollers_on/

The New Model M has a new controller that uses a Raspberry Pi PICO on it. And you can flash the controller with alternate firmware.

QMK/VIAL is already ported to it.

https://github.com/purdeaandrei/vial-qm ... ses/latest

This sounds very interesting.

Personally, I prefer a PS/2 keyboard with a Soarer's Converter to QMK/VIAL. But it's nice to have the option.

I wonder if Unicomp will do the same for the Mini-M.

My #1 use for programmability is macros. Hopefully the 2 MB of RAM in a Pi PICO will allow for lots of macros.

stormcrash

27 Mar 2023, 04:38

Interesting development. If this really is the new controller for the New M then I expect it will be for the Mini M as well as it sounded like both were affected by the same chip supply shortage. Nice side effect that this fills the long time ask for a reprogrammable/customizable controller by the community. Seems a lot of projects are starting to use the Pi Pico due to shortages of both the regular Pi and other microcontollers and seems to finally be coming into its own

apastuszak

27 Mar 2023, 16:19

The Pi PICO costs $4.00 on Digikey. The chip they were using was the Infineon CY8C24493-24LTXI, which sells for $5.00 retail, but is out of stock. In bulk, the Infineon sells for as low as $3.00. But the Pico has more RAM, and gets you easy flashing. From what I read, when you put a Pi Pico flashing mode, it mounts as a drive on your computer. You drag the firmware file onto the drive and it flashes.

So, they're spending a dollar more per microcontroller, but getting more functionality. Mouser has 3,669 in stock, and Digikey has 13,250.

I think the Pi Pico is an even a better choice than the ATmega32U4 than a lot of other keyboards use, because it has more memory, so you should be able to do more macros with it.

apastuszak

28 Mar 2023, 23:51

I emailed Unicomp and they won't sell me one of these new controllers, because every last one is being used to fill backorders on new Model Ms. They told me to check back in a few months. When you can buy one of these things, you'll be able to pop one in a New Model M and run QMK/VIAL on a New Model M.

stormcrash

29 Mar 2023, 01:20

I'm just glad that they seem to have reached a solution in production, and hopefully once the New M backlog is cleared they can resume selling the Mini M and get out of the pandemic hangover crisis mode (and to be clear not blaming them for any of the pandemic triggered disruptions they've had to deal with)

It would be awesome for them to finally be in a stable place and think about production and next moves (fingers crossed that one day the New M and Mini M will be available in the classic Pebble/Pearl color scheme)

apastuszak

29 Mar 2023, 04:07

I have heard some people returning their New Model M because of firmware issues. So I think there may still be some kinks with the new firmware.

With these Pico based controllers, you can reflash them yourself. But you need a 5.5mm hex screwdriver to open the case and push the button down on the controller while you plug it in. So, a lot of people will still need to mail back their keyboards to get a firmware update, sadly.

From what I read of how the Pico works, when you put it in programming mode, it just shows up as a plugged in external drive to your operating system, and you just drag the new firmware onto it, and it flashes.

Hak Foo

29 Mar 2023, 05:25

I'll just say that's a remarkably forward-thinking product design from Unicomp.

Although the execution is a bit surprising-- at a commercial scale, you'd think they'd go straight to soldering a RP2040 microcontroller down rather than having the extra cost and complexity of the carrier board.

apastuszak

29 Mar 2023, 14:36

I wonder if you can buy a RP2040 chip loose, and if there is any cost savings in doing so.

Findecanor

29 Mar 2023, 16:10

Yes you can buy the RP2040 loose, even as a hobbyist. There are a bunch of other RP2040 boards in different form factors (like Pro Micro, Feather, stamp-sized etc.)

I wonder if the reason might be that Unicomp could be planning on supporting the Pi Pico W later on. That board's wireless module supports Bluetooth (BLE) but Bluetooth support is still in beta, AFAIK.
(The module had two interfaces with different pins: one for Wifi and one for Bluetooth, but the RP2040 didn't have enough pins to connect both without sacrificing GPIO pins, so the BT-interface pins were not connected. I therefore suspect that the new Bluetooth support likely includes a firmware update for the module to make it also take Bluetooth commands on the first interface)

apastuszak

29 Mar 2023, 17:04

If they made it Bluetooth that would be quite interesting.

Muirium
µ

29 Mar 2023, 17:48

They might as well, now it's becoming so easy.

But then the big question: internal battery or new case design for a bunch of AAs? :o

apastuszak

29 Mar 2023, 19:44

Muirium wrote:

But then the big question: internal battery or new case design for a bunch of AAs? :o
That's a good point. They did not design the case to take a battery. There's some design work that needs to be done here.

JCMax

01 Apr 2023, 22:57

apastuszak wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 19:44
Muirium wrote:

That's a good point. They did not design the case to take a battery. There's some design work that needs to be done here.
As long as they don't mess with the "curve" and the case is still reminiscent of some kind of M's. I wouldn't like a battery pack sticking out of the back. That's fine for Matais or HHKB, but I don't know how to feel about that added to the M's case. If not, I would vote for internal battery.

It's cool Unicomp are using the Pi Pico. It's a much needed effort. OPEN SOURCE IS THE FUTURE, DAMMIT!!!

Muirium
µ

01 Apr 2023, 23:01

It ruins the look of the HHKB. More so, proportionately, than it would a great big Model M.

Though as this is Unicomp we’re talking about, they may go the extra mile in that regard! :P

A hatch is better than a carbuncle. There’s lots of room inside an M for a battery compartment. Or indeed a Lithium battery pack.

apastuszak

03 Apr 2023, 17:34

The beauty of lithium battery packs is you can get them in all sorts of shapes and sizes, so I am sure Unicomp could make them fit.

I personally would not want a Bluetooth keyboard. I would prefer a 2.4 GHz dongle. I use a USB switchbox to switch between two computers and either a wired keyboard or one that uses a wirless dongle is a much better option for me. I know Bluetooth is cheaper and easier, so I don't expect Unicomp to come up with a dongle solution.

goodwill_pillager

08 Apr 2023, 04:42

apastuszak wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 17:34
The beauty of lithium battery packs is you can get them in all sorts of shapes and sizes, so I am sure Unicomp could make them fit.

I personally would not want a Bluetooth keyboard. I would prefer a 2.4 GHz dongle. I use a USB switchbox to switch between two computers and either a wired keyboard or one that uses a wirless dongle is a much better option for me. I know Bluetooth is cheaper and easier, so I don't expect Unicomp to come up with a dongle solution.
Couldn't agree more, I have the same use case. I love wireless keyboards but absolutely hate Bluetooth. Dongle ftw. If they came out with a wireless mini-m using a dongle I would buy in in an instant.

Return to “Keyboards”