Xwhatsit Model F Controller w/ Integrated Solenoid Driver - files and available for purchase

kbd0

30 Mar 2023, 03:04

Hi

I combined purdeaandrei's universal Model F controller and solenoid driver into a single PCB:

Why replace the controller in your Model F?
Replacing your Model F controller with one like this:
  • Converts it to USB
  • Runs the QMK firmware (much more options for remapping, customization, etc)

Why solenoid driver?
You can plug a solenoid into it so that each keypress has an additional smack from the solenoid hitting itself inside the keyboard. Some IBM Beamspring/Model Fs used this to make the keyboard feel more like a typewriter.

The kicad files are available here

I have some for sale here here
Comes with 3m usb cable, the optional headers, esd bag
Price is ~$50 usd (69 CAD), free shipping to USA

extra details:
Spoiler:

I have tested this controller on F AT and F122.

This controller uses the atmel-dfu bootloader (the public xwhatsit configurator is intended for caterina). The caterina version works fine for me, but if you have problems you may need to build the firmware yourself for atmel-dfu.

Assembling:
Be careful not to mount the controller upside down. I included a photo of it mounted in an F AT; do it the same if you are putting it in an F AT. If in doubt or putting it in a different keyboard, make sure to match the grounds on the PCB with the grounds on the controller (they will be labeled on the controller).
Also be sure to mount the lock light header exactly as shown (if you do it upside down you may damage your led board).
Last edited by kbd0 on 30 Mar 2023, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

30 Mar 2023, 11:09

kbd0 wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 03:04
What is xwhatsit?
It is a new controller for Model F keyboards.
Nope. Xwhatsit is the guy who made these controllers (and their pre-QMK firmware) almost ten years ago.

I'd suggest a different name for your revised version of his work. :ugeek:

kbd0

30 Mar 2023, 17:38

Muirium wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 11:09

Nope. Xwhatsit is the guy who made these controllers (and their pre-QMK firmware) almost ten years ago.

I'd suggest a different name for your revised version of his work. :ugeek:
I always saw people just call controllers based on xwhatsit's work "xwhatsit"s and never questioned it haha
But you are right - updated the post accordingly.

This project uses purdeaandrei's SMD Model F controller, which is based on listofoptions' TH-Xwhatsit design, which is based on xwhatsit's capsense controllers.

bitslasher

02 Apr 2023, 07:02

Return to “Keyboards”