Rebuilding a Triumph Adler SE 1040

DirkSonguer

16 Apr 2023, 18:20

Hi there!

The Triumph Adler SE 1040 was a typewriter setup from the mid to late 1980s, consisting of an external keyboard & control unit and a daisy wheel printer unit.

I managed to grab two keyboard units for cheap off Ebay. My initial idea was to re-use the keycaps, which are nice and thick, black, low-profile double-shot ABS with MX compatible mount. But when the boards arrived, I thought I might try and rebuild them in some way, either by trying some form of conversion (re-using some of the components), or completely replacing the interior with modern tech.

I will document the journey here: https://github.com/DirkSonguer/keyboard-TA-SE-1040

Wish me luck. Let me know if you have experience with this keyboard that you want to share. And feel free to drop me any questions along the way!

Some pics:
TA-SE-1040-front.jpg
TA-SE-1040-front.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 1161 times
TA-SE-1040-keycaps.jpg
TA-SE-1040-keycaps.jpg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 1161 times
TA-SE-1040-switches.jpg
TA-SE-1040-switches.jpg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 1161 times

TNT

16 Apr 2023, 18:26

That's beautiful! Any plans for what you gonna do with the left row and of all those intriguing indicator lights?

Really nice that it already comes with a usable case. Some high profile, spherical keycaps might look really great on that one.
Also, you gonna put a modern screen underneath that big flap at the top instead of the VFD one? Looking forward to what you have in mind with this, really cool project!

Muirium
µ

16 Apr 2023, 19:25

The world needs more VFD. :ugeek:

TNT

16 Apr 2023, 20:16

kbdfr
The Tiproman

17 Apr 2023, 08:09

TNT wrote:
[…] Some high profile, spherical keycaps might look really great on that one. […]
I would on the contrary absolutely want to preserve the looks of this keyboard,

TNT

17 Apr 2023, 14:56

Understandable, since the legends and looks are quite unique. For me personally, I've never been a fan of those island style - "spherical"- keycaps with just the dimple on top. But it's not for me to decide anyways :lol:

DirkSonguer

23 Apr 2023, 17:44

TNT wrote:
That's beautiful! Any plans for what you gonna do with the left row and of all those intriguing indicator lights?
Not yet. One option I'm looking into is controlling the backlighting with it, being able to cycle through different options. Maybe add a solenoid and beeper and then use them? Media controls? OPTIONS!
TNT wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 14:56
Understandable, since the legends and looks are quite unique. For me personally, I've never been a fan of those island style - "spherical"- keycaps with just the dimple on top. But it's not for me to decide anyways :lol:
Yeah, they take some time to get used to, but contrary to other "dimple keycaps" these are angled at around 4°.
TA-SE-1040-keycaps-details.jpg
TA-SE-1040-keycaps-details.jpg (297.7 KiB) Viewed 868 times

TNT

23 Apr 2023, 18:19

Oh sweet! That's definitely a plus

Return to “Keyboards”