One cable to rule them all.

apastuszak

03 Jun 2023, 05:00

I do quite a bit of keyboard swapping because I suffer from what I call "peripheral attention deficit disorder (PADD)."

In my perfect world, I would have a USB-A cable that I plug into my USB hub, and on the other end, I have interchangeable tips that can do USB-C, MicroUSB and USB-A.

I know I can use adapters, but they seem to add additional bulk to the cable.

So I was wondering if a cable like this exists.

I've seen some "breakapart" cables that are magnetic. If I could get a cable like that with multiple magnetic tips, that would be cool.

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2023, 11:42

Aviator connectors come to mind, if you want to mod all your keyboards for a boss, vintage jack. :ugeek:

apastuszak

03 Jun 2023, 17:37

Sadly, that's not how I roll. :-)

I have a grommet on my desk right above my keyboard and the wire for my keyboard and trackball runs through there and under my desk, so I don't have cables snaking across my desk.

Of course this doesn't solve the problem with permanently attached cables on keyboard, such as my Model M. I've been debating modding my New Model M, to put a USB-C port on it and get rid of the cable.

I like what they did with the Mini-M and the detachable cable. I just don't understand why they made it locking and USB-A instead of USB-C.

fohat
Elder Messenger

04 Jun 2023, 00:38

This is not the exact model that I have, but I have been using these for 5+ years on EVERYTHING.

I have 3 cables: desk, office, and car - and a whole handful of tips that insert into the sockets of the devices.

The other big plus is that you can connect (and disconnect) your devices with one hand, in the dark, without even looking at them. Recharge a flashlight in the dark, no problem. Connect the wireless set in the car while driving, 2 seconds without taking my eyes off the road.

It would be appalling to have to get by without them at this point.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164315184241?h ... R-ybjraQYg

The only problem is when one of my kids is visiting and wants to recharge a phone and I have to monkey around with the system.

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2023, 02:34

Wot? No mini!?

I know it’s meant to be obsolete and all, but 3 of my favourite keyboards are Mini USB, so it ain’t dead to me. Much less devilish to get the orientation right compared to hideous Micro USB, too. That’s the one I loathe.

RandomJack

04 Jun 2023, 10:40

fohat wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 00:38
This is not the exact model that I have, but I have been using these for 5+ years on EVERYTHING.

I have 3 cables: desk, office, and car - and a whole handful of tips that insert into the sockets of the devices.

The other big plus is that you can connect (and disconnect) your devices with one hand, in the dark, without even looking at them. Recharge a flashlight in the dark, no problem. Connect the wireless set in the car while driving, 2 seconds without taking my eyes off the road.

It would be appalling to have to get by without them at this point.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164315184241?h ... R-ybjraQYg

The only problem is when one of my kids is visiting and wants to recharge a phone and I have to monkey around with the system.
Very handy but this is a direct violation of the USB-C standard thus not recommended (for expensive devices).

https://www.reddit.com/r/UsbCHardware/c ... commended/

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2023, 12:39

The standard says you’ve had your fun, put the adapters away, and heave that trusty rats nest of tangled, proper cables back out the junk drawer. Now, y’hear!

fohat
Elder Messenger

04 Jun 2023, 15:04

Huh?

Sorry that the ebay item I linked does not show a mini-USB attachment, they certainly exist, I have some. And once you set the socket in place, you never have to worry about alignment again.

My guess is that mini-USB is so rare for new gear these days that they don't generally show up in ads. When I went in this direction, somewhere around 2014-2015 I guess, I bought a few cables plus a tip for each of my devices and I also bought a couple of extras. A couple of years later I got a new phone so I bought some USB-C tips along with a couple of oddball connections that I imagined I might eventually need. And, of course, you could also daisy-chain male-female gender changers to accomplish your needs.

The only downsides are that once you jump into a manufacturer's ecosystem you have to keep buying their gear, there are no rational standards. The other negative is that the tiny magnets do (very rarely but) eventually collect tiny bits of ferric junk, and you might have to scrape it out with a toothpick.

I never considered the "warranty-voiding" liability, but in daily use for many years I have never had ANY problems.

apastuszak

04 Jun 2023, 15:45

I wish they made a USB-A tip also.

I am going to order something similar. I found a magnetic cable that can also tilt in different directions. That will be handy for some of the Keychron keyboard I have with the USB-C port on the side.

RandomJack

04 Jun 2023, 16:17

Muirium wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 12:39
The standard says you’ve had your fun, put the adapters away, and heave that trusty rats nest of tangled, proper cables back out the junk drawer. Now, y’hear!
Actually the standard says "Manufactures, you've had your fun, stop making XYZ (+1) connectors, and only make USB-C", which is, from my point of view, a very good thing.

I wish a swift and sudden death of Mini USB, Micro USB, Lightning connectors and loathe manufacturers who keep producing items that contain them in 2023.

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2023, 16:57

RandomJack wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 16:17
I wish a swift and sudden death of Mini USB…
You can do that. Won’t help change the Mini USB ports on my HHKBs and Alps64 though. Hardware is hardware. I intend to keep them in active use for decades yet.

@fohat

I took a wee look around and couldn’t find magnetic Mini USB heads. Everyone’s settled on Micro (I spit on thee!), Lightning and C. Maybe when Apple kills Lightning this year one slot will open up? But surely not for Mini. When you’re ditched, you’re ditched. :roll:

fohat
Elder Messenger

04 Jun 2023, 18:00

Muirium wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 16:57

magnetic Mini USB heads.
Reaching for a straw here, but it seems to me that something like this could work, unless they cheaped out and didn't put all the wires inside so that it works only for charging but not for data.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285016705275?h ... R6LLh_KQYg

SunshineRag_DT

04 Jun 2023, 19:47

An octopus cable like this comes to mind, basically USB A from the computer to multiple out. You will still need an A to C adapter on the Mini M but that is a permanent mod I have done anyways. And this one can switch from C to A if needed.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YLTSTW4

Or just use a flexible dongle to convert to USB C for all non-C USB:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09G6DJN6W/?c ... T015X8TW3B

apastuszak

07 Jun 2023, 19:18

A lot of these multi-tip or octopus cables are charge-only. So, you can't use them for a keyboard, sadly.

I put a USB-A to USB-C adapter on my Mini-M and that seems to work OK. But the New Model M has a permanently attached cable, which kinda sucks.

It's a shame that Unicomp came out with an all new controller based on the Raspberry Pi Pico and didn't switch the USB port to USB-C on it.

Return to “Keyboards”