You can now order one of the new Raspberry PI based Mini-M Controllers from Unicomp

apastuszak

06 Jun 2023, 23:42

Why would you want to do this?

The big reason is that someone ported QMK/VIA to it. So, if you already own a Mini-M, you can do a controller swap, flash QMK/VIA onto it, and get a programmable Mini-M.

I placed my order this afternoon. Unicomp wants $24.00 for the part, which is a lot cheaper than other solutions.

dcopellino

07 Jun 2023, 10:45

Would you mind to provide a direct link to the unicornp website page? On that prehistoric website I wasn't able to find any raspberry controller part. Thanks

Muirium
µ

07 Jun 2023, 15:17

It takes a special kind of web design to make nerds like us feel as unsure of our whereabouts as non-technical 90 year olds handed their first ever web experience. But Unicomp definitely has it! :lol:

Great news they’re selling this part and for a reasonable price. I run QMK wherever I can and thoroughly recommend it.

czarek

07 Jun 2023, 15:29

This is awesome! Do you think it would be relatively easy to make this keyboard bluetooth compatible in this case?

Muirium
µ

07 Jun 2023, 15:45

The exposed matrix (traditional IBM style ribbon cables?) makes it as easy to swap in another controller as on Model M. Someone just has to make a Bluetooth model for you to slide on in, and a battery for it to run from and recharge when connected by USB.

My main daily keyboards these days are both HHKBs with precisely this kind of mod, courtesy of Hasu. Love it. :D
Spoiler:
Modular controllers are always a godsend!

apastuszak

07 Jun 2023, 16:02

This is what Unicomp told me to do:
Yes! You can order one now; add 2x customization fees (totaling $24) here: http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/CUSTOM and write in the text field, "New Mini M logic card with Pico"

Thank you,
Troy Fletcher

apastuszak

I got an email that mine shipped this morning.

apastuszak

08 Jun 2023, 21:57

I may have jumped the gun on QMK/VIAL. QMK/VIAL is ported to the New Model M with the Pi Pico controller. Nobody ported it to the Mini M yet.

I have a PS/2 New Model M I use with a Soarer's Converter. Sadly there is no PS/2 option for the Mini-M. So that's the one I really need QMK/VIAL on.

REVENGE

09 Jun 2023, 22:32

apastuszak wrote:
This is what Unicomp told me to do:
Yes! You can order one now; add 2x customization fees (totaling $24) here: http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/CUSTOM and write in the text field, "New Mini M logic card with Pico"

Thank you,
Troy Fletcher
Thanks for the tip, just grabbed one, arriving next week!

czarek

13 Jun 2023, 10:19

Muirium wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 15:45
The exposed matrix (traditional IBM style ribbon cables?) makes it as easy to swap in another controller as on Model M. Someone just has to make a Bluetooth model for you to slide on in, and a battery for it to run from and recharge when connected by USB.

My main daily keyboards these days are both HHKBs with precisely this kind of mod, courtesy of Hasu. Love it. :D
Spoiler:
Modular controllers are always a godsend!
I have used Yang controller in silenced HHKB Pro 2 for years before upgrading to 25th anniversary HHKB as my daily driver, but I'm a fan of BS boards, have plenty of Model Ms, Model Fs (including new replica) and couple Unicomps, so I will be getting a new Mini M for sure, just wanted to know if it's not an overkill to plan for a BT version or mod for this keyboard. From what you're saying it may be relatively easy mod.

Muirium
µ

13 Jun 2023, 10:29

czarek wrote:
13 Jun 2023, 10:19
just wanted to know if it's not an overkill to plan for a BT version or mod for this keyboard. From what you're saying it may be relatively easy mod.
I don't have a Unicomp Mini M, or any plans to get one. (I’m a Model F snob.) I do commend their modular controller, though, and I'd imagine Bluetooth upgrade boards for these will be a thing, whether Unicomp or the community gets there first. ;)

Someone's been selling aftermarket Bluetooth controllers for IBM Model Ms on DT for years, but I can't seem to find the thread by searching for Bluetooth or BT in the title. The guy was running his own firmware as I recall, and was a bit nutty about certain airborne viruses… :roll:

Years before him, Phosphorglow made the Colossus controller for Model Ms. USB worked out the box and I used it for years until selling the board and that controller. He also had a Bluetooth variant, but I could never figure out how you were supposed to put it together. I can Teensy up a Soarer converter, and I can install Hasu's HHKB controller PCB, but understanding UARTs or whatever is where I run out of road. :P

kokokoy

13 Jun 2023, 11:45

Muirium wrote:
13 Jun 2023, 10:29
Someone's been selling aftermarket Bluetooth controllers for IBM Model Ms on DT for years, but I can't seem to find the thread by searching for Bluetooth or BT in the title. The guy was running his own firmware as I recall, and was a bit nutty about certain airborne viruses… :roll:
This one viewtopic.php?t=17388 . Was always tempted to get one before but then I saw that virus thread which killed it. :D

Return to “Keyboards”