HP 98203C Nimetz Keyboard

MathematicalJ

07 Jun 2023, 19:07

These HP 98203C Nimetz keyboards are really coming out of the woodwork on eBay lately.
Spoiler:
The HP Computer Museum describes them as "very rare," but it definitely seems like that's no longer the case, and they're relatively cheap, too. They are pretty interesting, though:
  • Loads of keys, including weird function-like keys and special purpose run/pause/continue/execute program keys..
  • Nice key caps. They're really thick double shot spherical caps with Cherry crosspoint mounts.
  • A rotary encoder!
  • The internal hardware and protocol, HP's HIL, are interesting. It was designed to allow multiple devices to daisy chain. There are mice, of course, and numpads, a single rotary encoder, a bank of six rotary encoders (!!), and even a converter box to allow PS/2 keyboards and mice to connect.
There are a couple of USB converters out there for them. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any HP 9830A's. They have a really slick color scheme instead of the usual suicide beige.

I'm not selling anything (but I did buy one). I just think they are really interesting devices and wanted to highlight their current availability.

Return to “Keyboards”