mx brown for me?

zakazak

04 Mar 2011, 16:51

I already gathered some opinions about this but i´m still not sure for which mx i should go.

I never had a mechynical keyboard (except a rly old IBM model which i used ages ago). I write alot (school/work) but also play alot of fast fps games (quake3, quakelive,counter strike, Call of Duty, Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory, ...). plus i dont want it to be too loud when writing.

So which ones should i get? People recommended me mx brown so far.

thanks

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Mar 2011, 16:53

Probably MX Brown or something Topre is your best bet if it has to be low noise. Personally I was very disappointed when I received my first brown board. The tactile bump was so minimal that I could barely feel it. I expected something much more notable.

I wrote some more about that in the "what is your favorite switch" topic.

runeazn

04 Mar 2011, 16:54

or those reds they are awesome..

zakazak

04 Mar 2011, 17:09

low noise.. well i dont want to disturb people in ventrilo/teamspeak when i write andd dont use "push to talk". And people wrote that for example mx blue´s are kinda disturbing then.

and ye i read that you love your black mx´s :) Well if they arent as loud as mx blue´s are arent terrible to write with.. then i would maybe think about those too? :P

Why would you recommend the red ones?

Bern

04 Mar 2011, 17:16

It really depends on how light you like your keys to be. Reds are lighter versions of blacks which many people find to be too stiff. You can barely feel the tactility in browns as well. Browns aren't completely silent though. Depending on how hard you type they can be just as loud as blues just more of a thud than a click.

JinDesu

04 Mar 2011, 17:17

reds are lighter to press than blacks, while being linears like blacks

I'll attest that my friends can very clearly hear my blues when im in SC2 and on voice chat. by very clearly, i mean "what the hell is that noise?".

zakazak

04 Mar 2011, 17:47

okay thanks.. so i guess reds are out :P It rly is annoying for people in vent if they hear you typing all the time.

well ye looks like only left one is brown. Hope it will be fine for fast fps games :S and hope it will have a clear different feeling to some random keyboard

JinDesu

04 Mar 2011, 18:02

browns will be fine for any gaming - just don't bottom out (takes practice not to push the keys all the way down) or else it'll be loud too

Corland

04 Mar 2011, 18:06

reds would be very similar to browns as far as actuation force, but with no tactile "bump" in them. they are both going to be pretty soft (in comparison to blacks, blues and a model M) and similar noise levels to each other. with the browns you will get some feedback before bottoming out, and the reds simply don't add that little extra bump. Bottoming out will make any board pretty loud.

xshnoopy

04 Mar 2011, 18:15

Red or Brown should be fine

Fuel

04 Mar 2011, 19:48

When i first got my browns I could barely feel the tactile bump but after about a week or two it started to get more noticeable for me. So browns.

Mrinterface

04 Mar 2011, 19:53

Go Topre, no regrets ;-)

Evil_Spork

04 Mar 2011, 20:19

As long as you aren't slamming browns down and bottoming out hard on each stroke they aren't too loud. If they're plate mounted and you smash your keys it will be... not exactly loud, but not quiet.

spolia_optima

04 Mar 2011, 20:21

Topre is tops
mx reds, browns, and blacks are also great for FPS gaming.
Get something with NKRO.

Bern

04 Mar 2011, 20:24

I actually like reds quite a bit. Browns are good too. Blacks are pretty stiff so that can be a problem. Find any of those on a quality keyboard should be fine.

zakazak

04 Mar 2011, 21:04

i dont worry about the browns beeing too loud.. jsut about red,black,blue.

i thought about Filco or maybe Leopold.. tho I somehow prefer Filco :P

Bern

04 Mar 2011, 21:15

Blue will have a much more distinctive "click". If browns are fine so will reds and blacks.

spolia_optima

04 Mar 2011, 22:13

IMHO blues are godawful for FPS games. All these gaming companies releasing keyboards with blues... It's bound to turn people off from mechanical keyboards in general. FPS gamers (most of the good ones, anyhow) will absolutely hate the reset point on blue switches. Since they're not necessarily keyboard geeks, they'll assume that all mechanicals have such a reset point, and they'll never get around to trying VASTLY superior linear/tactile switches because they've made their damn minds already.

zakazak

05 Mar 2011, 19:59

kay i guess i will go for brown then.

now i have to decide between filco and leopold :P

CephalicCarnage

05 Mar 2011, 20:10

Leopold pre-order at EK is almost here!! Otaku with browns for me!

I'm totally interested in trying a board with reds now though. Didn't care for blacks, but reds sound nice!

Fuel

05 Mar 2011, 20:43

I'd say wait for leopolds you can almost pre-order them and they will be 99 dollars + shipping compared to a filco at like 120+ international shipping.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Mar 2011, 01:27

If you can pay the $30 difference, the price difference is irrelevant when taking the lifetime of the keyboard into consideration.

EZjiji

06 Mar 2011, 05:58

It doesn't hurt saving those $30 for something else. (Although its probably more like $20 since amazon gives free shipping while EK doesn't)

espritsc

06 Mar 2011, 08:30

I have a brown and it can sometimes be loud. But on the other hand, it is quieter than a blue and lighter than a black so it is perfect for me.

Go for the brown! :D

zakazak

06 Mar 2011, 09:40

its more than just 30$.

the otaku version costs 99$ too.. so making a filco to otaku costs another 20-30$.

drsauced

06 Mar 2011, 10:02

Oh man, I don't want to confuse you more, but it has been pointed out that if you're gaming, it will be very hard to be quiet on any keyboard. Just too much adrenalin.

However, I have to say, if you want utterly silent typing, then the MX Black or Red will do it. The smooth, linear action means you can type nearly silently, the only noise coming from the keys as they return to the top position. Even then you can lift your fingers ever so gently and not even get that noise. Ninja typing on MX blacks FTW.

EZjiji

06 Mar 2011, 23:23

I wouldn't recommend MX Blacks for typing at all. It's actuation force is so high and its hard to tell if you've actually clicked or not. This is only a 1 minute test of a MX Black keys, but it did not feel good at all.

I also think that the Blacks would not be any quieter than the Browns. The browns only have a tactile bump that creates virtually no sound.

drsauced

07 Mar 2011, 03:26

Well, don't get me wrong, even with my limited experience I really do think MX Browns are the best for all around computing. But I have to say the secret to the MX Blacks is gumption. It took about an hour or so until my fingers got used to them. They are quite stiff, especially if your keyboard has the MX Gray (80cn or so M&M launcher) for the spacebar, but once adjusted you really don't bottom out at all on MX Blacks. Your fingers become like little ninjas, floating effortlessly across keys like so many rooftops, rapidly, silently assassinating keystrokes, one by one.

British

07 Mar 2011, 10:52

I'm using browns and I can be heard over Skype when I get crazy.
Granted, I do bottom out, and the mic is mostly on my desk, in front of the keyboard.

pita

07 Mar 2011, 11:02

Brown is good for starter board, and then you work your way through with other switches when you feel like adventuring

Return to “Keyboards”