I want Bluetooth Filco or Archiss/Leopold

The Solutor

10 Apr 2011, 04:35

Ekaros wrote:http://www.amazon.com/XArmor-U9W-wirele ... 230&sr=1-4

Anyone know anything about that?

Still crappy layout...
You said, crappy layout.

I think that is the only defect.

Is nice to see that ione is managing to give some added value to its keyboards, as the backlit or the wireless option instead of differentiate itself with minor things like the etching method or the surface finish.

Minskleip

10 Apr 2011, 04:42

What's so crappy? Looks like regular ANSI to me ...

The Solutor

10 Apr 2011, 04:47

Minskleip wrote:What's so crappy? Looks like regular ANSI to me ...
Question and answer are both in the same sentence...

Minskleip

10 Apr 2011, 05:32

Haha you can't be serious?!

earlyberd

10 Apr 2011, 06:03

I'm going to have to side with Minskleip. Most U.S. residents and English typists have no issues with ANSI. The issue of ANSI vs ISO doesn't make a difference for anyone but nitpicky turds and bi-lingual typists. A true evolution is like the difference between QWERTY and Dvorak, or the difference between rectangular keys and ergonomic keys.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Apr 2011, 13:04

Fat Enter is inferior because it increases hand travel to Enter. ANSI wins.

The Solutor

10 Apr 2011, 15:19

earlyberd wrote:I'm going to have to side with Minskleip. Most U.S. residents and English typists have no issues with ANSI.
You forgot UK and Ireland, they are English speaking people and are not comfortable with the ANSI layout.
A true evolution is like the difference between QWERTY and Dvorak
A keyboard layout must be shared, who cares if Dvorak is better when no one use it, it's something like a keyboard's Esperanto, a good idea with almost no use in the real world.

Ekaros

10 Apr 2011, 15:44

The Solutor wrote:
earlyberd wrote:I'm going to have to side with Minskleip. Most U.S. residents and English typists have no issues with ANSI.
You forgot UK and Ireland, they are English speaking people and are not comfortable with the ANSI layout.
A keyboard layout must be shared, who cares if Dvorak is better when no one use it, it's something like a keyboard's Esperanto, a good idea with almost no use in the real world.
Wouldn't call it Esperanto, more like if there was more logical and easier version of English.

Has anyone made layout which is equaly optimized for every language in the world? Or even for all the languages which use standard latin-alphapeth? Or all extensions of it?

Ekaros

10 Apr 2011, 15:45

Ekaros wrote:
The Solutor wrote:
If it's ansi it's functionaly inferior to iso ;D Which is only my opinion ofc...

Wouldn't call it Esperanto, more like if there was more logical and easier version of English.

Has anyone made layout which is equaly optimized for every language in the world? Or even for all the languages which use standard latin-alphapeth? Or all extensions of it?

Brian8bit

10 Apr 2011, 16:00

The Solutor wrote:You forgot UK and Ireland, they are English speaking people and are not comfortable with the ANSI layout.
That's simply a matter of them not being familiar with the ANSI layout. A couple of days using it and they'd be fine. All that really changes is the positions of the pipe, "" and @ symbols. In fact, anyone in the UK using an Apple product is already using a hybrid of ANSI and ISO anyway since the Macbook keyboard and Apple Wireless keyboard have a skinny ISO return key and the pipe symbol replaces where the far left of the ANSI enter key would be and the "" and @ symbols are in ANSI layout, even on a UK/ISO board/MBP.

The Solutor

10 Apr 2011, 17:50

That's simply a matter of them not being familiar with the ANSI layout.
Surely is matter of being used, but here we are, usually, speaking about comfortable typing, and about some 100€ priced keyboards, so I consider the lack of a decent layout a defect.

BTW the I from ISO stands for international, while the A from ANSI stand just for American, so I consider the latter the wrong one.

The Solutor

10 Apr 2011, 17:54

Ekaros wrote:
I called it Esperanto not because being the supposedly perfect layout, but because no one use it, and its impact is almost zero

Brian8bit

10 Apr 2011, 18:24

The Solutor wrote:
That's simply a matter of them not being familiar with the ANSI layout.
Surely is matter of being used, but here we are, usually, speaking about comfortable typing, and about some 100€ priced keyboards, so I consider the lack of a decent layout a defect.

BTW the I from ISO stands for international, while the A from ANSI stand just for American, so I consider the latter the wrong one.
People in the UK and Ireland would have no problem with switching to ANSI as it's just a matter of getting used to the repositioning of a couple of keys. But they use BS. Things only get problematic when you move to JIS and similar languages as you've got to account for thousands of moon-runes. Also, being decent is subjective and doesn't make a keyboard layout defective. Having used ISO and ANSI, I much prefer the ANSI standard and wouldn't go back to using ISO unless there was a particular keyboard I wanted that wasn't available in ANSI.

The Solutor

10 Apr 2011, 18:58

Personally the US logical layout isn't really a problem for me although I use more often the Italian or the UK ones.

I just don't like the I shaped enter.

ripster

10 Apr 2011, 19:16

ANSI is best because it's American.

JIS is second because it has Wa.

megnin

22 Apr 2012, 20:04

I know this thread is a year old, but I wanted to post pictures of my Bluetooth Filco with MX Browns. I've read lots of complaints about battery life in Bluetooth keyboards, but the two AA batteries in this one last for MONTHS. I have to change the batteries in my mice several times before having to put new batteries in my Filco. I use rechargables.

The two leds are for connection and battery. The little button is to establish a connection.

off

22 Apr 2012, 21:10

The Solutor wrote:
Minskleip wrote:What's so crappy? Looks like regular ANSI to me ...
Question and answer are both in the same sentence...pic
Since we are here, awesome pic.
Thoroughly disagree though. The only correct layout is ansi (or jap) and the only correct enter is ansi or bigass.
Still deducting points from ansi because it's got an a for american.
@megnin: Sounds and looks nice; maybe they have sneakily implemented that 'charge off of switch activation force' in your model ;)

megnin

22 Apr 2012, 22:18

A "finger powered" wireless keyboard would truely be remarkable.

off

22 Apr 2012, 22:43

megnin wrote:"finger powered"
there's this girl

Return to “Keyboards”