is this a rebranded model m or am I going crazy?

Ascaii
The Beard

05 Mar 2011, 18:38

http://cgi.ebay.de/Compaq-Prolinea-4-25 ... 2eb383a217

Most likely its just a dome, but does anyone have further info, if the early Compaq used Model M keyboards and rebranded them like Dell did?

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Mar 2011, 18:43

Not rebranded, but the case design is similar (but not identical).

Ascaii
The Beard

05 Mar 2011, 18:48

webwit wrote:Not rebranded, but the case design is similar (but not identical).
so the best bet is its still a domer?^^

and out of interest...clue me in on the differences in the case please, I thought it pretty much identical.

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Mar 2011, 18:50

I'm afraid so.

Pylon

05 Mar 2011, 19:41

As far as I know, there's Lexmark Ms, Dell Ms, CompuAdd Ms, and Wang Ms, along with several Unicomp rebrands (affirmative, ComputerLab International, etc.).

That's not an M.
1. The keys are far too low. The Model Ms have very high keys.
2. The printing on the numpad is a bit small for an M.
3. The arrows on the arrow keys are not like those on an M. Model Ms had a very specific arrows that don't look like those from other boards.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Mar 2011, 04:45

The easiest way to tell is the front, below the space bar. Check the recessed horizontal line here on an IBM Model M. The ebay keyboard is flat there. Easiest to notice around the cursor keys. Also, the logo doesn't fit the IBM nor the Lexmark tooling.

keyb_gr

08 Mar 2011, 17:39

The easiest way to tell actually is the LED label. Note how it does not extend over the whole numpad width. I think this board is a Mitsumi, KPQ-E99 or whatever they're called.

Pylon

08 Mar 2011, 20:48

Okay, [standard] Model M [variants - M, M13, M2, M5-x, etc.) identification:

1. Really tall keycaps. Really glossy sides, sand papery tops.
2. Recessed line below [bottom row]. (not present on M15 or Unicomp Space Saver)
3. Distinctive arrow keys. Really large head for the arrow, really small lines.
4. Lock sticker. Width of whole numpad.
Last edited by Pylon on 08 Mar 2011, 21:13, edited 2 times in total.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

08 Mar 2011, 20:50

Identification checks all failed!!!

clickykeyboards

08 Mar 2011, 21:51

I don't think that the Compaq keyboard from the OP is a buckling-spring keyboard. LED panel and curves on front case reminds me of a vintage Fujitsu keyboard.

To add to mystery, in 10+ years.. I did once find an SDL to ps/2 coiled keyboard cable with a Compaq logo at the ps/2 end instead of a IBM logo. To date, I have never found a Compaq-logo model M keyboard.. but I did read that other computer manufactuers used the SDL connector.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

08 Mar 2011, 21:57

Nice picture! If you add more pictures from your warehouse its gonna be quite some arousing material for some here :D

clickykeyboards

08 Mar 2011, 22:02

This batch should last about 4-6 months.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

08 Mar 2011, 22:03

:o

snerual

08 Mar 2011, 22:26

Love those pictures! :shock: Keep em coming!

clickykeyboards

08 Mar 2011, 22:43

Picture was from last year, now only have 2 more left.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Mar 2011, 22:56

Strangest thing. The opposite thing happened to me.

microsoft windows

08 Mar 2011, 22:58

You all need some computers for all those keyboards!

snerual

08 Mar 2011, 23:09

Thanks for the pictures guys. Those 1397730's are no-logo M's correct? Somehow those just don't look 'right' to me. I much prefer the look of the older 1390131's with the square logo on the right.

EZjiji

09 Mar 2011, 04:19

webwit wrote:Strangest thing. The opposite thing happened to me.

O>O So...many...keyboards. Do you use them all?

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Mar 2011, 04:21

These are just my Model Ms. Am I scaring you yet?

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

09 Mar 2011, 16:59

clickykeyboards wrote:To add to mystery, in 10+ years.. I did once find an SDL to ps/2 coiled keyboard cable with a Compaq logo at the ps/2 end instead of a IBM logo. To date, I have never found a Compaq-logo model M keyboard.. but I did read that other computer manufactuers used the SDL connector.
SDL wasn't an IBM specific thing. Compaq had them with Keytronic (I think) keyboards, and HP had them with some keyboards and mice on some of their workstations.

Half-Saint

10 Mar 2011, 12:03

Damn you! I can't compete with that :P

lucidlts

15 Mar 2011, 10:33

u win. lol
10 times or more than my current "property"

clickykeyboards

15 Mar 2011, 13:47

found that strange SDL cable with Compaq logo in one of my crates of cables

Also a couple more shots of inventory from this morning. These used, raw Model M keyboards have been pre-inspected and sorted by year into bins. They will typically be stored for a few weeks while others go through the refurb process of re-testing, disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, final inspection, packaging...

sixty
Gasbag Guru

15 Mar 2011, 13:55

Brilliant! Almost like a wine cellar.

clickykeyboards

15 Mar 2011, 14:03

sixty wrote:Brilliant! Almost like a wine cellar.
Good name.. ..and it is important to rotate and reposition each unit to make sure that they don't get that "weak spring" problem from improper storage over years and decades.

These in the photos should all sell within the next 3-6 months.

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Mar 2011, 16:52

What, no shrink wrap?!

Yes, some keys sucked when I took off the plastic.

clickykeyboards

15 Mar 2011, 17:40

webwit wrote:What, no shrink wrap?!

Yes, some keys sucked when I took off the plastic.
I also got burned in 2007 by those model M keyboards refurbished by KDM. The shrink wrap was excessively tight and kept many of the springs permanently depressed for who knows how long (years?).

I ended up delisting the entire batch and marked the keyboards as destroyed and used some of the removable keys for spares and sold off the keyboard cables. Sadly each keyboard refurbished by KDM added 5.5 lbs to my local landfill.

False_Dmitry_II

15 Mar 2011, 23:33

And people are calling me nuts for buying more than 2 keyboards... I need to show some people these pictures.

Where do you get all that giant amount of stuff from clickykeyboards? And I just realized where you're selling them when I read the username.

lucidlts

16 Mar 2011, 05:59

me too. my friends thinks im nuts for having these keyboards. bet they'll call you something else if they sees this D:

Return to “Keyboards”