What makes 'silent' topre silent/slightly less noisy?

Jim66

02 Jul 2012, 21:18

A while ago I remember seeing a number of pictures that detailed the different between regular and silent topre switches.

I remember seeing them on GH, but I assume that they were only linked there. Does anyone know where I can find them?

Thanks,

Jim.

fossala
Elite +1

02 Jul 2012, 21:21

It is a foam o-ring. I can take pictures if you need.

Jim66

02 Jul 2012, 21:26

Thanks for the offer fossala, I wouldn't want you taking apart your s-type just for the sake of it though. Isn't it a silicone o-ring? Does it just sit on top of the plunger?

ripster

02 Jul 2012, 21:28

I got the pics.

I'll pm you a link when I get a chance to upload.

Or keep an eye on this:

http://ripster.imgur.com/all/

Jim66

02 Jul 2012, 21:35

Cool, thanks.

hamza_tm

04 Jul 2012, 11:35

not publicly available them images :(

Okay I found em

zzuper

14 Jun 2013, 03:03

Link pls..
So only the upstroke is dampened?

Topre Enthusiast

14 Jun 2013, 04:53

zzuper wrote:So only the upstroke is dampened?
Yep.
I'll be documenting the MCRW-1000 Topre board tomorrow, so I'll grab some pictures of a silent switch too as I'm having trouble finding them myself. Will be good to have them on the DT wiki :)

Muirium
µ

14 Jun 2013, 15:21

Thanks 002. Long been curious about this myself.

Topre Enthusiast

16 Jun 2013, 04:36

Jmneuv

16 Jun 2013, 10:14

Purple!
Thank you, interesting stuff.

The silent hammer seems to fit tighter, that should make keys wobble less.
Is the silent hammer just a little longer to compensate for the ring?

Looks like there's some benefit to those switches after all, but none to justify over a 100 bucks plus, especially since there isn't any extra expense for them beside the rings.

Topre Enthusiast

16 Jun 2013, 10:55

I think for the most part they are pretty much the same. I don't have any super accurate means for measuring any of the components but from what I can see, the length of the silenced plungers appears to be the same as a standard one; meaning slightly reduced travel I suppose - I'd guess maybe .3 to .4 mm? Some things you might have also noticed:

- The locking tab on the silenced plunger is not as aggressively angled, meaning it's much easier to separate it from the main switch housing.

- The locking tab can exit in two places on the silent switch, but only one on the standard switch I used for this comparison. Most Topre switches have the two exit points for the locking tab so this might be something they changed recently - or maybe it's only for the LED switches?

- There are two locking tabs on the switch housing on the silent switch compared to one for the standard. Once again I think modern Topre switches all use two. I'll admit at this point that I got lazy when I was choosing the standard Topre comparison switch. I took the 3-switch PCB out of the 9400A because it only had two screws :oops:
Spoiler:
Anyway, yeah I agree about the pricing difference. They're basically identical to normal Topre switches but with a very thin foam ring, with a plastic coating on one side. Probably why it's a popular DIY mod.

Daniel Beardsmore

16 Jun 2013, 23:27

I wonder what the actual cost is of this modification, i.e. how much of a difference would it make to Topre to just make this the standard switch design? It sounds like the price increase may not be justified ;-)

Personally I like the sound of my Realforce as it is.

Topre Enthusiast

17 Jun 2013, 09:31

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:Personally I like the sound of my Realforce as it is.
Same here, although I'd like to try a silenced 45g Realforce. The Type-S still had a great sound to me even though it was silenced; just need the metal plate to improve the feel :)

take

20 Jun 2013, 21:26

yeah i love the sound of my 87U.

that said, if they sold 'official' packs of the foam rings, i'd give them a shot to see how they felt/sounded.

Return to “Keyboards”