Is this keyboard mechanical?

ruhtraeel

03 Jul 2012, 05:41

So I've been using a regular HP KU-0316 (current) / Dell OEM rubber dome keyboards since the very beginning, but I found this weird Gyration wireless keyboard and air mouse combo thing. My dad says it was used in presentations and it apparently was really expensive when the company first got it.

I've been looking all over for info on it, but I can't find much. Is it a mechanical keyboard? It's really springy and SUPER SUPER loud.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gyration-GC15FK ... 0760548131

That being said, it feels a whole lot better than any keyboard I've ever used, because I can type a lot lighter/faster than using my HP KU-0316.

MonoSky

03 Jul 2012, 19:31

I don't think I will be much help but I will try.

The first and most accurate thing that you can do try and remove the keycap of the keyboard. Keep in mind you can damage the keys if the removal process is done incorrectly.

Is the keyboard heavy with out batteries?
Should be around 3x heavier than your regular rubber dome keyboard.

Lastly when you press it down gently with out bottoming it out do you hear any sounds?

ruhtraeel

04 Jul 2012, 17:25

I haven't taken the keycaps off yet since I don't really know how and I don't have a tool, but the keyboard is definitely heavier than my HP rubber dome one, but it's still not actually "heavy". It is REALLY hard to press it down without bottoming out because it's so springy (it's either completely down or not, it's hard to hold the key in the middle), but it doesn't make a sound I don't think if I don't press it down all the way.

Maarten

04 Jul 2012, 17:53

Unfortunately being heavy nor being expensive are a good indication for it being a mechanical board especially when talking about wireless stuff (every cow is an animal, not every animal is a cow comes to mind). Usually when someone designs a wireless board they keep in mind that the board might actually be used wirelessly (aka itll be tossed around) so they make it a bit sturdier and it will also have slightly more components hence the increased weight. Then the marketing department will fix the price right up to the point where its high enough for people to think its something special but no so high to scare potential buyers off.

However, if you like typing on it does it really matter if its mechanical or not?

off

04 Jul 2012, 18:12

The term keycap pulling should explain enough. ;)
Just try if there's any caps that are 'separated from the pack' and hopefully a bit loose, most can just be pulled straight up between thumb and the middle part of your index finger. Do make sure it's a 1x1 unit cap (so the size of any other regular letter keycap), since bigger ones may have various weird parts attached to it that could get damaged in the process.
Disclaimer: haven't seen the board, ebay tends to crash my browser. :o

Also you mention that they are springy in a way that inhibits pushing the key halfway down, hinting at either rubber dome or some other form of tactility at the top of the keytravel.
+1 on the 'screw all as long as it feels good'.

Maarten

04 Jul 2012, 18:22

Hmyeah, the 'collapsing' key feel (not really being able to press it halfway) would indicate domes.. but then again rubber domes are not really loud in general. However if you hit hard enough any button will make a noise (if you hit it really hard it will only do so once tho).

ruhtraeel

04 Jul 2012, 19:35

It does actually feel like a rubber dome when I press it down slowly, but when I'm actually typing, it felt similar to a Blackwidow Ultimate that I tried out at Memory Express. Either way I'm happy that I found it, but I was just curious to find out what type of keyboard it was.

Perhaps it is just a very unused new rubber dome. Hopefully I don't ruin the feeling by typing the thousands of lines of code required for a Computer Science student. Although it needing 4 AA batteries is quite annoying, I'm sticking to my HP KU-0316 mushy as hell keyboard for my desktop now since all I do on it is game anyways. (That thing is super quiet and feels bad, probably the worst feeling I've ever had from a keyboard but it gets the job done.) It probably just feels terrible in comparison to the Gyration one because it's a used second hand one from my dad's company with who knows how many keystrokes on it already.

I just found out that the keyboard is super loud when you first put your finger on the key, as well as when you release the key and it pops back into place, but doesn't make any sounds while you push it down I think.

I'll try and remove a key cap when I get home, hopefully I don't break anything (Which I'm the most scared of)

I'm actually really curious to find out what those Topre ones feel like, as they too are rubber dome?
Last edited by ruhtraeel on 04 Jul 2012, 19:47, edited 2 times in total.

7bit

04 Jul 2012, 19:41

ruhtraeel wrote:It does actually feel like a rubber dome when I press it down slowly, but when I'm actually typing, it felt similar to a Blackwidow Ultimate that I tried out at Memory Express. Either way I'm happy that I found it, but I was just curious to find out what type of keyboard it was.

Perhaps it is just a very unused new rubber dome. Hopefully I don't ruin the feeling by typing the thousands of lines of code required for a Computer Science student. Although it needing 4 AA batteries is quite annoying, I'm sticking to my HP KY-0316 mushy as hell keyboard for my desktop now since all I do on it is game anyways.
Why don't you pull a key cap?

BTW:
For gaming you need an MX red board.

For programming you need clicky or at least tactile ALPS.

For accounting you need a Model M.

For websurfing you need a RollerMouse (along with your HHKB).

Return to “Keyboards”