Remapping modifier keys in Windows?

NewGuy

08 Mar 2011, 21:15

I'm a Mac guy that is using PCs more and more these days, and I'm so used to the laptop layout on them that I'm wondering if there's any way to re-assign the modifier keys in Windows.

On a Mac, the keys are functionally quite different. The layout is:
Ctrl, Alt, Cmd, Space, Cmd, Enter (Alt on newer Macs but I remap it)

All your shortcuts for things like copying and pasting are now Cmd + C, Cmd + V etc.
I find this is far more comfortable to type with and makes a lot more sense to me. Switching over to Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V is a nuisance and I end up hitting Alt + C, Alt + V all the time instead, especially when typing quickly and not thinking about it.

Is there any way to remap keys so that you have:
Win, Alt, Ctrl, Space, Ctrl, Enter ?

Another thing is that on a Mac, symbols are so much easier to use. For ¥ I just hit Alt + Y, for ® I just hit Alt + R and so on. Is there any way to bring back that kind of functionality, or am I out of luck there with Windows using Alt to bring up menus?

I have managed to use the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator so that I have Ctrl + Alt + Y = ¥, and have done the same for a variety of other symbols that I use frequently but it's not the same and isn't something I do by instinct without thinking about.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

08 Mar 2011, 21:38

Very easy with Sharpkeys.

NewGuy

08 Mar 2011, 21:53

Fantastic, thanks.

RiGS

08 Mar 2011, 21:54

Any idea on how to remap Í to the capslock? It is currently available by pressing AltGr+J.
Sharpkeys just cannot recognize it. :(

nanu

09 Mar 2011, 00:12

Try KeyTweak, Sharpkeys' nerdier cousin. I think it also has a mode to detect an input keystroke and let you remap that way.

If you can find out the scancode for the key you could also set the registry value manually (dangerous!). KeyTweak can present its interpretation of the regkey for you, and from that you could haphazardly correct some dummy remapping yourself into doing the right thing :D

ripster

09 Mar 2011, 00:47

With AutoHotkey you can created shifted characters for the modifiers. Doubt you could do that with SharpKeys.

I use RWin+Lshift for example to get CapsLock.

Just like Steve Jobs wanted.

NeXT up.
Hmm... bad day on the ol' pad printer that day - the top of the key is Doubleshot.

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Mar 2011, 00:53

Steve is getting more popular all the time. Wait.

amleth

12 Mar 2011, 15:36

AutoHotkey... it is nice.

If you really need some MORE positions (not just exchanging the same codes each other),
use DDK (now WDK ? or what ?). You could manage extended codes.

Now, if you connect two boards in one computer (USB/PS2 does not matter). You have two different boards.
This "A" is different from that "A".

Refer to AutoHotkey dot com.

Return to “Keyboards”