home made key pullers

artee

10 Mar 2011, 18:55

Give me some inspiration, please! Post photos, instructions, etc.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

10 Mar 2011, 19:14

Nanu has a great collection. Wait for it :D

db_Iodine

10 Mar 2011, 20:28

I have one made from two paper clips that are bent to fit the sides of a keycap. I just use my Leatherman to pull the paperclips after they're inserted under the keycaps. Works especially well on spacebars. Sadly I don't have any pictures and am too lazy to take any right now.

nanu

10 Mar 2011, 21:19

Makeshift keycap pullers should be easy to make and remake. I started out using large paperclips, but then I bought some galvanized steel wire (I think meant for hanging pictures). This wire is cheap but not all that great for a keypuller, if you want it to keep its shape and not be malleable.

copypasted from my GH sig:
DIY keypullers: simple (howto), u-style, loopy

The steel strapping u-style one I gave away, but sadly it was not stainless steel and so it rusted :D

Prototype trio meant for normal keys, mid-length keys, and spacebars.
i've lost all of these except the brass one
i've lost all of these except the brass one
keypullers.jpg (253.98 KiB) Viewed 24193 times
I only use the loopy brass one unless I make another. The patina is rather fugly now :D
Somehow moisture in the air had made its way inside?

ben

10 Mar 2011, 22:01

Originally large paperclips!
Attachments
I pinch the nubbins together to operate. :]
I pinch the nubbins together to operate. :]
paperclipkeypullers.jpg (114.77 KiB) Viewed 24182 times

ripster

10 Mar 2011, 23:06

Too much work.

I use...

Look up "Richard Gere Gerbil" if the joke never made it to Europe.
Last edited by ripster on 18 Mar 2011, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

espritsc

11 Mar 2011, 04:38

Spoiler:
ripster wrote:Too much work.

I use...

Look up "Richard Gere Gerbil" if the joke never made it to Europe.
Hey ripster, I'm a big fan. Your self-made pictures in most of your posts always makes me laugh. Btw, thanks for your recommendation of a brown switch filco. I love typing on it. :D

I tried making a key-puller out of paper clips after seeing a forum post about a guy who made out. I can't say it turned out well.

British

11 Mar 2011, 09:57

I had bought a real one since, though :roll:

Mrinterface

11 Mar 2011, 12:32

Excellent home made stuff -> on some keyboards I am able to pull the keys with only my two fingers( thumb and index ).. Hows that for a homemade keypuller? :-)
EDIT : b.t.w. : In the past I pulled keys with two flatheaded screwdrivers. Works like a charm, you just need to be careful not to damage the keys.

artee

11 Mar 2011, 13:24

unfortunatelly I'm not able to use only fingers on my filco and I didn't order the original key puller :(

EZjiji

11 Mar 2011, 21:39

Here's someone on GH that posted a pretty detail tutorial on how to make one:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=7125

ripster

11 Mar 2011, 21:43

artee

12 Mar 2011, 00:42

no boobies this time, ripster? :-)

kachaffeous

12 Mar 2011, 00:51

Paperclip + pliers. Made it while I was waiting for my real keypuller.

Olehk

12 Mar 2011, 02:33

I just bend a paperclip in half at about a 30 degree angle, then at the ends I make two hooks at about the same angle on each.

amleth

12 Mar 2011, 11:53

Hi, you guys (and one non-human being) are gathering here again..

I am thinking about developing the 3rd (actually 1.5 version of my first design) remover. Cherry boards stabilizer sucks. This remover could dismantle keytops from that black plastic which insecurely stand on PCBs without any unexpected/unwanted accident. One big problem is.. I have no Cherry board. ^^.

That could be very very easy and simple. Just change of some sizes a little bit. That is all.. I guess...

-in Geekhack, my alias is Hamblet-

ripster

12 Mar 2011, 16:58

Lol - Hamblet, you STILL mad at me? The term "necro post" is NOT meant as an insult.

Ask the Europeans. Well, on second thought that may not be a good idea. The admins all hate me here too.

amleth

12 Mar 2011, 17:20

I am not mad at you.
I am mad at your attitude, your ways of talking.

Do you mind if i ask you a favor ?

Plese do something about the girl just below you nickname ? is she wearing her underwear or what ? it reminds me a kind of sexual abusement. I am not pretty sure your (European or American or whatever) ways of living, but i do not feel comfortable about it (her situation).

keyboardlover

12 Mar 2011, 17:29

Amleth, I am just curious, where are you from?
Last edited by keyboardlover on 12 Mar 2011, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

IanM

12 Mar 2011, 19:23

ripster wrote:...The term "necro post" is NOT meant as an insult.
Ask the Europeans...
OK I'll bite, maybe there is still some unnecessary ill feeling here?

"necro" is not normally used on it's own. It's derived from the Greek origin "nekros" for corpse or dead, and in conjunction with another word it should describe a subject that includes 'death' as part of the whole. So in English you would expect a real word to be necro______ e.g. necrosis would be the medical term for the non-reversible death of flesh.

Another use is 'necromancer' - and I guess this is the origin of our use of 'to necro post' or to 'necro' a thread. A necromancer is a type of sorcerer in myth and fantasy, one who derives or fuels their power and magic from the dead. The Necromancer's powers may include reanimating corpses (to create Zombies and sword wielding skeletons etc.) The use of 'necro' on its' own may just mean to reanimate or bring to life a dead body. So this slang term ended up being used to bring to life an old, as we call it, a 'dead thread'.

It's not in any way sexual, or an insult. However, it is considered a faux pas to post on a dead thread unless there was a genuine reason to do so. Many forums now include a warning that prevents users from posting on dead threads until they have read the warning and checked the box to continue e.g.
"This thread is dead. There have been no new posts on this thread for 90 days, please do not post here unless you are sure that this is the most appropriate place. Please post a new thread for you question or comment."
Post on this dead thread anyway? Y/N

amleth wrote:I am mad at your attitude, your ways of talking.
I think I understand your difficulty, but it is just a cultural thing. You can learn the vocabulary of the language, but it takes a long time to understand the full meaning. Much of the humour and non-malicious teasing that Westerners recognise is not understood, and there is zero possibility of translation software being able to translate the subtle cultural references used to make the true meaning.

As you are reading and posting on English language, Western forums, it's inevitable that you will misunderstand some phrases or not be aware of a reference. Please try not to take offence, usually there are forum moderators who will police any malicious comments and ban those who are rude or aggressive toward others.
amleth wrote:Plese do something about the girl just below you nickname ? is she wearing her underwear or what ? it reminds me a kind of sexual abusement. I am not pretty sure your (European or American or whatever) ways of living, but i do not feel comfortable about it (her situation).
I don't think you need to worry about this, there is a long standing tradition of wearing one's underwear on one's head. It's humorous, not abusive.

amleth

12 Mar 2011, 23:21

Cool,
Thanks IanM for your kind comment.

First of all, I do not want to have a unrelated, unnecessary, unbrief conversation in someone else's thread with notrelated, notknowing, notbad someone.

We are very complex ones. Every one has their own cultural history. That history should be extended a long long way back to pre-historical era. In this consideration, WE could mean a person (not possibly), a relative group, a clan, a tribe, a race, a nation, a group of nations, a cultural group of groups. The number of WE could be hundreds. If there is a good chance to understand the other WE culture for one ordinary people like me, it is good. But, WE are too big to uderstand each other just through that kind of narrow chance. So, WE have to try to go to a long way in one sense, and in other sense try not to use culturally one way expression. You have your ways of talking, I have my ways of talking. Are we in a tower of Bable again now ? (again, I do not like a Christian ways of talking especially for pre-christ).

I do respect your long stand cultural history of course. But, not all of them, especially for dirty smelly, ugly looking, who knows dead body expression to me. I guess, my cultural background is not the only one who hates that kind of dead body figures of speech every day life. Plase do not try to make me understand it, just do not use it.

And I have to say exactly the same boring stuffs again for poor girl who is wearing her underwear in her head in front of many (male) people not familar with her. If you think that is one nice tradition, I would like to say to you just one thing.. Godd bye.

keyboardlover

12 Mar 2011, 23:29

You should be more accepting of American and European culture and tradition.

Wearing underwear on one's head is a very popular tradition in our shared cultures. Everyone does it, and it's fun for the whole family.

amleth wrote:(again, I do not like a Christian ways of talking especially for pre-christ).
WWJD (What Would Jesus Do?)

amleth

12 Mar 2011, 23:39

Oh, the old, dead, cold, rotten, smelly my thread.

I saw one thread, it has just simple name, continued and continued over hundreads times for long long period. The case is different ? maybe you are right. I do not like this kind of dead-body-rise-again style thread. It is stupid for simply adding "a" in the thread, it breaks its coffin and it rushes into you.

I did not add useless thing to the tread. I added an idea. If you conclude it as nothing. You are right. You are the boss. I quit.

amleth

12 Mar 2011, 23:51

Interesting..

In every country, the people who says he/she loves keyboards are ALWAYS rude. No one exceptions have found.

Good.

and..

Good bye. Sixty.
-NoMad.

IanM

13 Mar 2011, 00:42

amleth wrote:I did not add useless thing to the tread. I added an idea.
Your post in the old thread on geekhack was fine. You didn't do anything wrong there and ripster really didn't insult you, and he definitely was not being critical of your post. If he said "old thread" or "dead thread" instead of "necro thread" you probably wouldn't have noticed his comment, especially as it was about another subject (the Topre users enthusiasm for Topre)

In the exact context of the old thread, each word is equally valid: old thread == dead thread == necro thread. I understand why you don't like the word that creates an unpleasant image for you, but for most of us it's totally benign. It's no more offensive than saying the sky is blue. ripster uses language in an interesting way, and he posts very frequently, inevitably some of what he posts is drivel, but this was just an example of something that was for amusement. You should not take him seriously, or literally.
amleth wrote:In every country, the people who says he/she loves keyboards are ALWAYS rude. No one exceptions have found.
if you really feel you have to stop participating that's a pity, because you don't have to let one or two individuals spoil your enjoyment. Most forums have users who make 1000's of posts, they tend to stand out and sometimes they can be annoying. There is no shame in using the ignore list to filter out the people who particularly frustrate you. Just add them to your ignore list so that you don't have to see what they write:

on this forum: user control panel - manage foes
on geekhack: user control panel - manage ignore list
Last edited by IanM on 13 Mar 2011, 01:15, edited 2 times in total.

keyboardlover

13 Mar 2011, 01:08

I wonder if he saw my post on kbdmania and thought I was a different person? Keyboardlovers all around the world MAY be rude, but they mean well!

Anyway, like IanM alluded to, we have a sense of humor on here (and GeekHack too) and we joke around a lot. It's up to you whether or not to take offense to it, but I hope that you don't. You're more than welcome to put ripster and I on your "ignore" list.

ripster

13 Mar 2011, 03:38

I found the "underwear over the head avatar" at VR-forums. Those Crazy Singaporeans!

But I'll change it for the Global Good if it offends Germans (I thought you guys all walked around naked on the beach?)
Attachments
bikini avatar.jpg
bikini avatar.jpg (4.55 KiB) Viewed 23884 times

caprolactone

13 Mar 2011, 04:19

i like how this thread changed from key pullers to people with underwear on their heads

anyways, thanks for the ideas!

lucidlts

15 Mar 2011, 10:09

other than key puller, any good method for pulling the caps without pulling the whole switch? (apparently, that is just what i've done)

amleth

15 Mar 2011, 15:02

other than key puller, any good method for pulling the caps without pulling the whole switch? (apparently, that is just what i've done)
I recommend you a Crowbar.
lego-crowbar-comparison.jpg
lego-crowbar-comparison.jpg (29.83 KiB) Viewed 23806 times
(Psst, I am not good at play with Lego).

Please see.
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=7125

IMG 1st.JPG
IMG 1st.JPG (89.04 KiB) Viewed 23806 times

Return to “Keyboards”