I just found two IBM 1985

guilleguillaume

12 Mar 2011, 09:57

Well, that's it!

I was at work tonight and found two IBM MANUFACTURED IN UNITED KINGDOM 1985.

They have two-piece keycaps and one is lacking some of them but the other one have all the keycaps. BTW I found them where they put all the trash so I doubt they work but I had to get them just because I know you will like to see old stuff.

I found too that my microphone at work use PCB MX Black and have Spherical Keycaps like the ones Sixty showed us. I have to say that MX Black PCB mounted feel better than plate mounted ones, at least this ones. People looked at me with strange face when I was making a ghetto keypuller to take off the sphericals keycaps :lol:

I will make pics when possible!

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Mar 2011, 13:37

Great find!

calavera

14 Mar 2011, 07:25

Can't wait to see pics :D

False_Dmitry_II

14 Mar 2011, 07:38

Could be someone just thought they were old and "outdated". Probably also have AT connector, so who knows, they might work fine.

Or it might be an easy fix, when I got my model M in the mail I had to reseat the numpad (.) key before my computer booted properly with it plugged in.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

14 Mar 2011, 10:28

guilleguillaume wrote: I found too that my microphone at work use PCB MX Black and have Spherical Keycaps like the ones Sixty showed us. I have to say that MX Black PCB mounted feel better than plate mounted ones, at least this ones. People looked at me with strange face when I was making a ghetto keypuller to take off the sphericals keycaps :lol:
Thats kinda cool! The most obscure place I have seen an MX switch in so far has been a switch on an electronical heater.

javifast

14 Mar 2011, 13:33

Spanish IBM Model M....ummmm....I want pics.

guilleguillaume

14 Mar 2011, 18:32

meh! I was actually wrong, only one of the IBM was from 1985 but the rear sticker was in a very bad condition that I only could see "1985 - 0 - " and the other ones where 1990 and 1993.

I'm sorry to tell you that I carried back the wrong keyboard :roll: I only could take 2 keyboards since I was going home with motorbyke and it was rainy like today. The 85 one it's just sitting somewhere at the trash amount of CRT, Unicomp membrane keyboards and plenty of electronic useless but not at home.

Instead I took pics some while ago of the 90 one :geek:

Spanish IBM :

The cable it's messed up and won't work because we still use those keyboards at the hospital and the ones that don't work they put them all on the trash just waiting for a high amount of them to pay someone to get ridd off of all the trash.

Maybe when I have time I can try to clean it and dismount the case to see what could be wrong in it but don't know too much about electronics.

Sixty I have the crapy pics of the sphericals Keycaps and the MX Black in the mobile phone but I don't have the cable to put them in the computer :lol:

ripster

14 Mar 2011, 18:35

Is E-Lö the EU version of J-lo?

lucidlts

15 Mar 2011, 10:30

holy! did i just saw a keyboard with an ethernet cable? :O
great find !

sixty
Gasbag Guru

15 Mar 2011, 12:33

Some keycaps are actually shiny! That is such a rare sight on IBM boards. I wonder why some keycaps are randomly in German?!

clickykeyboards

15 Mar 2011, 14:11

guilleguillaume wrote: Spanish IBM :

With the RJ45 connector, it looks to be like an IBM terminal keyboard.. not exactly compatible with a modern PC.

Although, if you can find a 1397000 or similar, you might be able to do controller swap and get it work reasonably well with a PC. I've been in touch with a couple of people who make custom keyboard encoders and the costs of custom engineered keycode converters is always more (~$100-$150) than the terminal keyboard is worth (~$20-$40) and well beyond what the average person would pay for IBM terminal computer > IBM personal computer conversion.

Return to “Keyboards”