Crazy clickclack prices

raptorized

08 Aug 2012, 04:31

Ionospheric blue for $117 http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0708460377
Hardcore white for $95 http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0708458856

2 single colour clickclacks add up to $200+, your thoughts?

cactux

08 Aug 2012, 04:41

[Account and posts deleted on request]

PointyFox

08 Aug 2012, 06:44

234,000% markup. If I wasn't lazy I'd be making copies. Oh, they look stupid too. :roll:

longweight
key-bored

08 Aug 2012, 07:14

Meh, it is what happens when something is rare.

suprsmo

08 Aug 2012, 07:54

Wow.. People are retarded.. :l

cactux

08 Aug 2012, 08:13

longweight
key-bored

08 Aug 2012, 08:19

suprsmo wrote:Wow.. People are retarded.. :l
Not at all, if someone is happy to pay that much then what is the harm?

dirge

08 Aug 2012, 08:32

longweight wrote:Meh, it is what happens when something is rare.
Rarity isn't a good indicator always. The crowd mentality does play a part with these too.

cactux

08 Aug 2012, 08:35

dirge

08 Aug 2012, 09:45

cactux wrote:I guess all of us here are falling in the stupid category. Buying keycaps, keyboards and "useless stuff"
I put myself waaaay up on the stupid keyboard buyer list. I'm going to start giving stuff away as I don't have room for anything (and I'm a small collector!)

Charlie_Brown_MX

08 Aug 2012, 09:50

dirge wrote:
Rarity isn't a good indicator always. The crowd mentality does play a part with these too.
Spot on.  I have two of the same lighter from the 1950s, both NIB, that I got for £7 each including postage from the States.  To find them in that condition is exceedingly rare, so if rarity alone were to decide price they’d have been worth $$$$$.  However, since there isn’t a braying mob clammering for them, they’re worth practically nothing.

I’m certain that if GH didn’t exist, CC keycaps would have little resale value beyond what they sold for.  GH takes on the rôle of a miniature stock exchange in this situation, and encourages the same sort of testosterone-fuelled recklessness.

Charlie_Brown_MX

08 Aug 2012, 09:54

dirge wrote:
cactux wrote:I guess all of us here are falling in the stupid category. Buying keycaps, keyboards and "useless stuff"
I put myself waaaay up on the stupid keyboard buyer list. I'm going to start giving stuff away as I don't have room for anything (and I'm a small collector!)
That’s an easy trap to fall into. I was only really collecting spare parts for my AEKII initially, but ended up with hundreds upon hundreds of Alps of different kinds and a pile of keyboard carcasses that my cats keep knocking over by climbing.

longweight
key-bored

08 Aug 2012, 11:48

dirge wrote:
True, my statement was a little short. Basically they are rare and in high demand so people are willing to pay high prices for them. Would I pay £100 for one? No and it wouldn't give me much satisfaction but that isn't true of everyone.

dirge

08 Aug 2012, 12:11

longweight wrote:it wouldn't give me much satisfaction but that isn't true of everyone.
Yes these people ;)

longweight
key-bored

08 Aug 2012, 12:14

Also I really don't value MX Clacks, I am only interested in Topre as they really make the board look better. There are so many good custom caps for MX already so I don't really want MX clacks.

GIVE ME THE TOPRE ONES!

JBert

08 Aug 2012, 12:22

longweight wrote:
dirge wrote:
True, my statement was a little short. Basically they are rare and in high demand so people are willing to pay high prices for them. Would I pay £100 for one? No and it wouldn't give me much satisfaction but that isn't true of everyone.
Helpful tip: you are talking about the term "scarce". It's not quite the same as "rare" and hence they should not be mixed.

longweight
key-bored

08 Aug 2012, 12:24

True.

raptorized

08 Aug 2012, 14:28

I feel the ridiculous part is the blue keycap is more expensive than a tricolor, seems really reckless to me. Most keycaps can be bought and still have an equal or higher resale value, not sure about these two clickclacks.

suprsmo

09 Aug 2012, 07:54

They are simply perpetuating this price jacking.. By selling these at grossly inflated prices, does Nothing for the community..

longweight
key-bored

09 Aug 2012, 10:18

suprsmo wrote:They are simply perpetuating this price jacking.. By selling these at grossly inflated prices, does Nothing for the community..
Why should a private sale on eBay do anything for the community?

mintberryminuscrunch

09 Aug 2012, 11:32

I'd say threads about key cap prices are destroying the community.

ericbentley

09 Aug 2012, 12:47

As someone who's just watched this ClickClack controversy from the sidelines, I don't really know what's rational anymore. I see people arguing all the time that someone has theirs priced too high, is tricking n00bs, or is messing with the market
Could someone inform a helpless n00b here of what the retail price of the CC's are, and the actual market value?
In the future I'd like to prevent getting ripped off as much as possible :D

Soarer

09 Aug 2012, 13:08

When they were last for sale on elitekeyboards, they were $18 for a single colour, and $30 for a tri-colour. They sold out within minutes.

andrewjoy

09 Aug 2012, 13:11

I don't see the appeal they look like something that would go well with one of them cheap ass "gamer " cases you see on ebay that kids buy because they look "cool".

ericbentley

09 Aug 2012, 13:13

Soarer wrote:When they were last for sale on elitekeyboards, they were $18 for a single colour, and $30 for a tri-colour. They sold out within minutes.
Holy cow, this eBay markup is insane then!
What is the average price they go for on GH or DT? How do I know if I'm being taken advantage of?

Acanthophis

09 Aug 2012, 13:14

andrewjoy wrote:I don't see the appeal they look like something that would go well with one of them cheap ass "gamer " cases you see on ebay that kids buy because they look "cool".
What do you think the userbase of GH mainly is? :roll:

andrewjoy

09 Aug 2012, 13:17

Hey i game too, but i have style :).

http://www.corsair.com/800Dmanual

EDIT oo i found one!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRHK46X-ATX-Scr ... 45e9d831fe

it will go well with the CCs and it has a 550 w PSU guaranteed to have crazy ripple in the voltage and fry at least 1 component per week.

Soarer

09 Aug 2012, 13:33

'Insane' is not a judgment I or anyone else can make for you :lol:

If thought of as simply a lump of moulded plastic, then even the original prices made them 'expensive' for keycaps! (The first time they were on EK they were about half those prices IIRC).

Clearly something that people want, and can't just go and buy retail, will have a higher value. I have no idea what's sane, and I don't have any strong opinion to voice on it either - I think the negative comments above just drive the market into more secrecy and less transparency, which just makes matters worse.

dirge

09 Aug 2012, 13:40

Please don't say things like "market value" it's not stock or anything with real value. It's 20 or so idiots that like keyboards swapping bits of plastic for crazy sums of money.

I wish clickclack would make a few thousand and sell them on elitekeyboards. It would make him money and the people that buy 50 thinking they can resell them and fleece others will get burned big.

longweight
key-bored

09 Aug 2012, 13:52

ericbentley wrote:
Soarer wrote:When they were last for sale on elitekeyboards, they were $18 for a single colour, and $30 for a tri-colour. They sold out within minutes.
Holy cow, this eBay markup is insane then!
What is the average price they go for on GH or DT? How do I know if I'm being taken advantage of?
No one can name a sensible price for you, pay what they are worth to you.

Return to “Keyboards”