27%
Tenkeyless without Num Pad
55%
Fullsize
18%

Total votes: 11

hypatia

09 Aug 2012, 21:50

Exactly what the subject suggest. And your reason for choosing it.
Last edited by hypatia on 12 Aug 2012, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.

damorgue

09 Aug 2012, 21:52

Tenkeyless

I think it has more versatility since one can add a numpad if you need one, as per your preference at that moment. It allows you to put the numpad on either side easily. Some tenkeyless ones even have a second layer if you really need it, but I prefer to have a separate one.

Daniel

09 Aug 2012, 22:04

I prefer fullsize! I use the numblock very often and hate it to type numbers without one.

itlnstln

09 Aug 2012, 22:05

Fullsize. I work in retail and need to type in lots of UPCs, Product IDs, etc. I would have a very difficult time without my number pad.

tipo33

09 Aug 2012, 22:26

I prefer fullsize, It looks and feels like more keyboard to me. Probably because it technicaly is. I grew up using fulsize 'boards, and i guess it's a comfort thing.

cinch

09 Aug 2012, 23:37

TKL because the mouse can be put closer to the keyboard. Feels more natural.
And it's easier to reach to the page-up/page-down keys.

nathanscribe

09 Aug 2012, 23:44

Tenkeyless. I grew up using 8-bit micros that lacked a keypad, and just got used to the number row; when I did start using full-size boards, I never really moved across as entering lots of numbers was never part of what I needed. For most textual work I find the number row is more convenient.

Also, with a tenkeyless I can place a mouse or trackball to the right and still keep my keyboard aligned with the screen so I'm not twisting in my chair when I type. With a full-size board, the pointing device is uncomfortably far over, I think. I have my trackballs snuggled right up to my keyboards so I can use my thumb to hit PgUp/Dn etc. while keeping my hand on the ball. I use the right button for main click so I don't have to take my thumb from the keys if it's needed there. My first finger rests on and moves the ball, second finger on the scroll ring, third on the button. Works for me.

TL;DR: Tenkeyless, unless you need a numpad.

win

09 Aug 2012, 23:58

The one thing I miss and I had no idea I was even using until I went tenkeyless was the numpad's Enter key.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

10 Aug 2012, 00:04

Symmetry
2012-03-16 16.56.25.jpg
2012-03-16 16.56.25.jpg (439.39 KiB) Viewed 10385 times

PointyFox

10 Aug 2012, 01:56

Tenkeyless. You can always add a separate numpad if you need it.

suprsmo

10 Aug 2012, 02:23

win wrote:The one thing I miss and I had no idea I was even using until I went tenkeyless was the numpad's Enter key.

Ha.. Yeah same.. It was weird.. but doesn't take all that long to get used to it!

Hyde

10 Aug 2012, 03:21

Full size, I use the number pad a lot for all the 2D / 3D software I use. Though I did tried my girlfriend's tenkeyless for a day and I do admit the spacing is a bit better but I find I keep go for the right side enter that's not there.

So I guess it really depends on the usage, if you type number a lot => full size, if you never need to type number all the much then => tenkeyless

dorkvader

10 Aug 2012, 04:08

I prefer larger than full size (122-key), but I use a large table as my desk (to support 200+ Lbs of CRTs). I really like programming the extra keys to be useful.

cactux

10 Aug 2012, 04:28

[Account and posts deleted on request]

oTurtlez

10 Aug 2012, 05:30

Id personally do a TKL with a separate tenkey. That being said im using my 60% right now with an external tenkey and i love it so much compared to my Black Widow Ultimate :D

Elrick

10 Aug 2012, 05:39

cactux wrote:TKL , for me fullsize is just waist of valuable space. I do not use the num pad
Exactly, plus I have a small area where I need to cram a lot of computers into a restricted space. A TKL style enables that to occur.

Although I still don't mind a full-size keyboard depending on what it is, in quality, style and switches.

Gameaholic

10 Aug 2012, 08:50

HHKB b^.^d

fossala
Elite +1

10 Aug 2012, 09:02

Gameaholic wrote:HHKB b^.^d
I will second that.

ericbentley

10 Aug 2012, 09:16

It was a hard decision, because I use both for different things, but I chose fullsize
Having the ability to use it if it's there is great for calculator applications, and I play a number of games that use it
That said, on my laptop, I'd prefer tenkeyless, just for the fact that I only type things, the numpad isn't useful

fossala
Elite +1

10 Aug 2012, 09:21

ericbentley wrote:It was a hard decision, because I use both for different things, but I chose fullsize
Having the ability to use it if it's there is great for calculator applications, and I play a number of games that use it
That said, on my laptop, I'd prefer tenkeyless, just for the fact that I only type things, the numpad isn't useful
Have the best of both, I use a HHKB, next to that is my trackball, then I have my numpad.
This way my trackball is nice and close but I still have a numpad within reach.

Acanthophis

10 Aug 2012, 09:42

TKL is the biggest form factor for me.
I used to use the numpad on the fullsize very often but the vast spacing between mouse and keyboard, especially going from gaming to typing, was so uncomfortable.

And as some guys here said. If you need the numpad, buy an external one.
You can place that right of the mousepad or left of the keyboard.

andrewjoy

10 Aug 2012, 10:15

I would say for general day to day use work games bit of interwebs TKL is the best, if i want to do a big wrighting data input programming session i want as many keys as possible for short cuts and macros, something such as the Omini key ultra T or my is on the way 122 model f :)

for general use i use a Filco TKL reds at home and a cherry ML4100 at work

dirge

10 Aug 2012, 10:25

Full size at work, numpad is good for typing IP addresses. All depends on what you do / need.

Zythus

10 Aug 2012, 12:38

I like the idea of TKL. Till now I had only normal keyboards, but I think that TKL is more comfortable.

Kaleb

10 Aug 2012, 20:21

I see this decision as:
small size -- vrs -- arrow keys & hi bit characters

I really like the small size of the TKL.
I also like the functionality of having arrow keys. And
I sometimes use arrow keys at the same time as the numpad,
so I need them to be functionally separated.
I also must sometimes generate characters by
using the alt held down while pressing the numpad method.

A separate numpad is a viable option. The disadvantage
would be having an additional unit to carry, using an
additional USB port, having an additional cord to deal
with, not having separate arrow keys (that can be used
directly at the same time as the numpad is being used).

Maybe a TKL plus intelligent design (which may include
custom programmability) could do it all, if the setup
and the layout were carefully thought out.

I'm just guessing about the 40% vrs 60% form factor,
but a 60% TKL would probably be easier to design.

The optimum would be a TKL that has a setup
where you could still have the functionality
of the arrow keys (without holding down anything)
and the functionality of entering hi bit characters
using the alt held down while pressing numbers method.

The ultra optimum TKL would add full NKRO over USB,
(used for steno chord entry, not for gaming)
and PCB mounted Cherry MX Reds.

The mega ultra optimum TKL would add a backlighting
method that still allows quick & easy switch access.

Does an ultra optimum or mega ultra optimum TKL exist?
If someone knows, please tell me.
I would like to buy it.

Until I get my ultra optimum or mega ultra optimum TKL
I guess I have to continue to use my current full size.
(But I'm looking...)

ericbentley

11 Aug 2012, 10:54

Kaleb wrote: The optimum would be a TKL that has a setup
where you could still have the functionality
of the arrow keys (without holding down anything)
and the functionality of entering hi bit characters
using the alt held down while pressing numbers method.

The ultra optimum TKL would add full NKRO over USB,
(used for steno chord entry, not for gaming)
and PCB mounted Cherry MX Reds.
I think you're confusing Tenkeyless with other space saving layouts. Normal TKL layouts are the exact same as fullsize, just with the numpad chopped off
You don't lose arrow keys, just the numbers

In either case, the Choc Mini fits both these qualifications, it does full NKRO via USB and has dedicated arrow keys, and has a space saving design

MarkPharaoh

11 Aug 2012, 10:58

TKL because they fit right under my desktop stand when I need more desk space. Can also just add a numpad when I need to do number crunching in excel.

Djuzuh

11 Aug 2012, 11:40

TKL.

Sexier, more portable, keysets are cheaper, hands don't move that much, AND you have a reason to get a nice numpad !

damorgue

11 Aug 2012, 14:43

I wonder how the votes would be if you had to pick between TKL without numpad and fullsize. A lot of us are thinking TKL with numpad is better because it takes the best aspects of both.

babychoy

11 Aug 2012, 15:08

Are the Adesso numpads good (durability, build quality)? Voting for fullsize, by the way.

Return to “Keyboards”