My new Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Professional!

HolidaySHRIMP

14 Aug 2012, 22:12

Finally got my new baby. She is even more beautiful in person than when I saw her online and only in pictures. Touching her keys and pressing them feels very satisfying.

I would agree that they are most similar to browns in feel. Most of the resistance is at the top of the key press and then it just falls down. She sounds very different though. It's as many describe a much deeper sound and not so dinky. The sound is a deeper thud sound. So far I'm still getting used to the chords and combinations but the arrow cluster feels natural so far.

I've enabled dip switches 1, 3, and 5. Lite mode, backspace, and swap the windows/alt keys.

The lavender WASD cluster that I got from EliteKeyboards has a slightly different height than the rest of the keys and it is sort of bothering me so far, but a full new set of keys would probably fix that. I do enjoy the escape key being a little taller than the rest.

Below is a little gallery I put together during my lunch when I went home to get my new keyboard.

How can you like Topre? Easy.

Without further ado, here is the gallery.

http://imgur.com/a/jSNHV#9

Knoughts

15 Aug 2012, 09:20

[][][][]
Last edited by Knoughts on 29 Jan 2016, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

fossala
Elite +1

15 Aug 2012, 09:21

Because it's the cheaper model ;)

Knoughts

15 Aug 2012, 10:57

[][][][]

Topre Enthusiast

15 Aug 2012, 11:09

Maybe, but the build quality is pretty good. You have to try one to understand. I can guarantee it's made better than your Razer Blackwidow ;)

Knoughts

15 Aug 2012, 11:24

[][][][]

Topre Enthusiast

15 Aug 2012, 11:33

Different strokes for different folks.

Jim66

15 Aug 2012, 12:05

Yeah, this conversation has been had 458,687 times before on here and GH.

You're really paying for uniqueness factor. No one else makes a compact keyboard with a cool/unique layout, topre switches and nice dye-sub PBT caps.

It's your only choice, so if you want those features, you're either willing to pay it or you're not.

I've owned one. They're not for me.
Last edited by Jim66 on 15 Aug 2012, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjoy

15 Aug 2012, 12:14

I hope I don't like topre when i get around to trying it it could get darn expensive

Nice keyboard i hope you are happy with it

fossala
Elite +1

15 Aug 2012, 19:50

andrewjoy wrote:I hope I don't like topre when i get around to trying it it could get darn expensive

Nice keyboard i hope you are happy with it
Doesn't have to be, if you found "the" keyboard you love the most. Why do you need others?

itlnstln

15 Aug 2012, 20:44

I loved the uniqueness of the HHKB and the build quality of the HHKB and Realforces, but in the end, Topre switches weren't for me, but YMMV, of course. The HHKB layout is the best I have seen in keyboards of similar sizes, however.

Jim66

16 Aug 2012, 21:16

itlnstln wrote:I loved the uniqueness of the HHKB and the build quality of the HHKB and Realforces, but in the end, Topre switches weren't for me, but YMMV, of course. The HHKB layout is the best I have seen in keyboards of similar sizes, however.
This was the conclusion that I reached. I typed on a variable realforce for about 6 months and love it so I rrreeeaaalllyyy wanted to love the HHKB when I got one.

I think I probs would have if I hadn't of started typing on my 5000 soon after it arrived; that thing IS my one and only keyboard.

It took me about two years and approx 750 GBP to realize that I preferred cherry MX over topre. You won't know till you try it.

Nask

17 Aug 2012, 08:59

I had a Topre, a 103UB, fullsize because I thought yeah why not a full size for desktop and a Poker for laptop.
I sold my Topre and now I change keyboard when I want but there still is this far dream of the HHKB. :)
I wish I could try it before buying one but as a new HHKB user would you recommand a HHKB or a TKL 45g/55g ?

longweight
key-bored

17 Aug 2012, 09:37

I would opt for the HHKB, it has the best layout of any keyboard that I have tried.

phasebash

17 Aug 2012, 20:51

Just got my HHKB today as well, took me a while to realize the keyboard has to be unplugged and plugged back in again for every dip-switch change. These Topre switches feel like Cherry MX Browns, at least it's the best comparison I can make. The quality and texture of the keys is pretty spectacular.

Don't expect a tactile click, there isn't one. Although, it does have a nice feel. Was it worth the money? I don't know. I like it, won't be buying another keyboard for a very long time (if ever). Maybe that's all that counts in the end. I will, however, be taking this mug back and forth to work with me.

If there was a Cherry MX Blue keyboard out there of equal build quality it would be a very hard decision.

maximAL

17 Aug 2012, 21:51

phasebash wrote:If there was a Cherry MX Blue keyboard out there of equal build quality it would be a very hard decision.
Well, there is the KBTalking Pure, also available in an unlit version. The caps for the backlit version are the only real problem i have with mine.

phasebash

17 Aug 2012, 22:19

maximAL wrote:
phasebash wrote:If there was a Cherry MX Blue keyboard out there of equal build quality it would be a very hard decision.
Well, there is the KBTalking Pure, also available in an unlit version. The caps for the backlit version are the only real problem i have with mine.
As far as I know it doesn't have PBT keycaps or plate mounted switches, is this correct?

maximAL

17 Aug 2012, 23:06

phasebash wrote:As far as I know it doesn't have PBT keycaps or plate mounted switches, is this correct?
Hmm, i think in the Pure thread someone said it was PBT, but mechnicalkeyboards.com claims its ABS.
And there is/was a version with an aluminum case. I, for one, don't really see the need for that in such a small keyboard. But ok, by this criteria the HHKB wins...no wait, it still has no MX Blues *runs* :D

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Aug 2012, 12:45

cactux

18 Aug 2012, 12:51

[Account and posts deleted on request]

longweight
key-bored

18 Aug 2012, 14:20

BUT WHY?!

Icarium

18 Aug 2012, 20:12

Because money?
Well, not if you make only one, I suppose.

woody
Count Troller

18 Aug 2012, 21:56

HHKB MX, that's the spirit.

HolidaySHRIMP

20 Aug 2012, 16:39

cactux wrote:Blasphemy

I concur. I would disagree when I was a former MX user. Now I'm a Topre elitist. :D

JBert

20 Aug 2012, 21:37

What? It's a custom keyboard with the layout of a HHKB - give the guy some props!

phasebash

23 Aug 2012, 04:06

This really is a bad-ass keyboard.

Return to “Keyboards”