10 wireless keyboards

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Feb 2011, 14:27

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 16:47

Screw wireless. The solar one is a good idea though. Wonder how well it actually works in practical use.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

01 Feb 2011, 17:51

Wireless I don't mind, but it should be integrated into a keyboard worth typing on...

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 17:53

HaaTa wrote:Wireless I don't mind, but it should be integrated into a keyboard worth typing on...
I really do wonder why there are so few. I think XArmor has one coming out in a bit, but who knows how that will end up. I know the Filco one did not pass FCC tests and therefore was discontinued. Little known fact: The wireless Filco was actually made by a different OEM and not by Costar. I suppose once Costar would get their hands on wireless schematics, we would see a lot of more mechanical boards popping up with wireless.

bugfix

01 Feb 2011, 17:56

I don't want to have to pay attention to the battery level so I don't like wireless.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 18:00

bugfix wrote:I don't want to have to pay attention to the battery level so I don't like wireless.
That is the main reason I try to stay away from wireless equip too. Another reason is latency. I might be paranoid, but it always seems like I can feel some delay with wireless mouse/keyboard. Then again, it has been 10 years or more since I last used either. Maybe technology is better nowadays.

Minskleip

01 Feb 2011, 18:21

The solar powered looks smart, but I wouldn't like to have to open my curtains. Nor get sun in my face or monitor.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Feb 2011, 18:22

The magic wireless Filco by Datacomp..
DATACOMPI_01.JPG
DATACOMPI_01.JPG (99.31 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
DATACOMPI_21.JPG
DATACOMPI_21.JPG (60.01 KiB) Viewed 5916 times

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 18:24

You actually saved it, cool!

Also seems they had a fitting Filco wireless mouse for it (above the board?)
Never saw that one on the market.

Brian8bit

01 Feb 2011, 18:25

Using Apple wireless keyboard and magic mouse I can tell you that the mouse chews through the batteries much quicker than the keyboard. I might have to replace the batteries on the mouse maybe every 7-10 days. And I turn the mouse off when I'm not using it to try and save juice. The keyboard I don't have to change the batteries for close to three weeks. And I don't turn it off either. It may possibly be more. Right now my mouse battery levels are at 62% and the keyboard is at 70%. I only replaced the batteries in the mouse the other day as well.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Feb 2011, 18:29

sixty wrote:Also seems they had a fitting Filco wireless mouse for it (above the board?)
Never saw that one on the market.
I guess that's the mouse.
datacomp_02.JPG
datacomp_02.JPG (89.67 KiB) Viewed 5911 times

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

01 Feb 2011, 18:33

Market?

Or did you mean the mouse :P

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 18:35

HaaTa wrote: Or did you mean the mouse :P
Yeah I meant the mouse :D

ynih

03 Feb 2011, 03:46

I've owned quite a few Wireless KB's in the past and they've always encountered the "keyboard input lag"...where the keyboard is currently in its power saving mode and when I start typing a sentence at relatively decent speed...the on screen cursor lags and all of a sudden speeds to like 200WPM just to display the words I just typed, 3-5 seconds ago...Anyone else experience something like that?

Moogle Stiltzkin

17 Feb 2011, 06:56

I saw a review of Logitechs rubberdome wireless keyboard.

It is solar powered and they claim it can be charged even with in house lighting. They claim it can work for a month in pure darkness. But according to the reviews it was more like a few days to a week under pure darkness settings.

They have a nice software that even keeps track of the keyboards power so you know when its time to recharge.

So now if only they add these features to a mech keyboard :mrgreen:

Minskleip

17 Feb 2011, 09:32

If you're really smart, you mount the solar panel next to an LED, and it'll be self powered! Forever!

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Feb 2011, 14:52

Minskleip wrote:If you're really smart, you mount the solar panel next to an LED, and it'll be self powered! Forever!

Forever!

Return to “Keyboards”