acer mechanical keyboard

kai888

23 Sep 2012, 05:13

Hi guys,

I have an old acer mechanical keyboard that i got with my first pc back from 1995 :lol:

were these ever considered a good keyboard? is there any info about these?

thanks guys.

this was the pc it came with. brings back memories

23 Sep 2012, 07:20

Those switches were generally quite good. Depends on how you feel about it.

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Sep 2012, 13:13

Sorry, no. General opinion on Acer hammer-over-membrane switches is negative. At least one person reported being able to feel the membrane, and disliked it for that reason. I can't remember the exact problems reported, although I recall that they didn't remotely match my experience with them (I still have both of mine).

Personally I find them to be almost identical in feel to XM switches, in that the force curve is too top-heavy: you have to push the keys ridiculously hard to get them to move, and you miss keys a lot.

There's nothing on the wiki about these switches yet.

trax

23 Sep 2012, 19:15

I've use 2 acer boards (black and white switch if remember correctly).
Both boards where in full-time use for a week.

It was awful.

24 Sep 2012, 13:41

That's weird. I have the black and white switches from the switch try bag, they feel pretty good. Maybe the membrane makes the difference.

Daniel Beardsmore

24 Sep 2012, 22:13

That's something I've never quite figured out. Poking a switch with your finger feels nothing like typing on that switch. If you poke an Acer keyboard it feels really nice. But try typing on it on a desk, and, WTF?!$@*#%&

When I first encountered an Acer keyboard I thought it was the Holy Grail of proper Model M–layout 105-key complicated Alps board, from just prodding at keys. Although I quickly realised it was Acer (there are no clicky black Alps switches), I figured that it couldn't be anywhere near as bad as people were saying. Doh.

As a consequence I have not the slightest interest in sample bags. They're useless. You need the complete keyboard on a desk that you can bang away on.

Return to “Keyboards”