Tipro dual 8x8 'split keyboard' - work in progress

Surger

24 Sep 2012, 17:37

Hey all,

Inspired by Ceezas workspace, and after a frustrating search for a high quality, adjustable split keyboard, I decided to create one myself from Tipro parts.

First, some background info:

Hardware
The keyboard consists of two Tipro FREE modules 8x8. Keys are mounted black Cherries. The master module has an integrated USB module, which has a USB IN socket (standard USB-B), two USB OUT sockets, and a minidin IN socket to attach the slave module. The slave didn't come with a out cable or socket, but the Dutch supplier connected a 30 cm cable to the board to hook it up to the master. The entire kit, including additional keycaps set me back about 300 euro.

Software
Both modules are 'recognized as one' in the ChangeMe software, which allows you to program the keys, so if you define a shift key on one module, both modules shift layers when you press this key. Each key has 4 programmable layers. Way more than I'll ever use. The software is OK, but not nearly as advanced as the software that comes with X-keys products.

Here are some pics:
Tipro02-7548.jpg
Tipro02-7548.jpg (384.49 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Not sure yet if I'll take out the X-key device in the middle. It has one major advantage: keys can be programmed to be application dependent; so they act differently depending on which application is active.
Tipro02-7550.jpg
Tipro02-7550.jpg (219.44 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
I have placed the modules sideways to create a bit of tenting. Keeping them in the original position (higher end towards the monitor) would probably not be very ergonomic. Unfortunately, the Changeme utility doesn't allow me to match this position onscreen, so programming the keys is slightly more tricky. I have added about one cm of lift in the back (i.e. lifting the numeric/function keys).
Tipro02-7552.jpg
Tipro02-7552.jpg (706.43 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Here's a pic of the USB module in the master module. You can also see the cable management grooves in the back.
Tipro03-7549.jpg
Tipro03-7549.jpg (879.3 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Here's a comparison with the Kinesis Freestyle. I noticed that I tend to separate the FREE modules more than I would with the Freestyle, mostly because of the matrix layout of the FREE modules. As a result, there's not a lot of room left for pointing devices to the side.
Tipro01-7548.jpg
Tipro01-7548.jpg (519.53 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
I use trackballs.I believe this workspace would be too wide to combine with a mouse. Theoretically, you could move the modules closer together, but ergonomically that seems unwise given the matrix layout. Originally, I had intended on placing the Kensington trackball in the middle. Keeping the trackballs on the sides works, but barely. My arms point slightly outwards when I use them.

Intended use and layout thoughts
My job entails a lot of file management, text editing and switching programs and I've programmed the keyboard to reflect this. I heavily depend on using shortcuts in all my applications and have programmed keys for those shortcuts in central positions (alt, control, home, end, etc.). I've also moved some frequently used keys to the center rows so they are in reach of the stronger thumbs and index fingers. All this is work in progress; I've already moved keys around countless times and will probably move them around a bit more.

Learning curve
I've been touch typing on Qwerty keyboards for about 25 years, so my muscle memory is messing up the learning curve significantly. Many of the shortcuts I use are 'in my fingers' but not my brain. If you'd ask me which shortcut to use, I wouldn't be able to tell you, but when I put my fingers on a keyboard, no problem.

Initially, I had moved a lot of keys from their usual positions but it was slowing me down too much. Now, I've duplicated some keys. Some commonly used keys are both in the usual Qwerty positions and in new positions, making the transition a bit smoother.
I've been using this setup for about a week now and have gotten used to the Matrix layout and some of the new central keys, but still need to peek to find certain key combinations. My goal is to eventually remove some of the traditionally placed keys.

Black cherries and typing
Coming from the Freestyle, I was a bit worried about the activation force needed for the Cherry Blacks. The difference is obviously noticeable, but I think I can get used to it. On the Freestyle, I'd find myself bottoming out a lot because the keystrokes are not reliable. On the Tipro, I'm not bottoming out as often. So: more force needed (which is more tiring) but less impact (which is maybe easier on the hands in the long run). It will take a few weeks of intense usage before I'll have my final verdict on this.

I tried creating larger double keys, for example for space bar and Enter, but found the activation force unacceptable.

That's all for now. I'll probably give an update after a few weeks of usage. For now, I'm rather optimistic and believe this keyboard is here to stay. If I decide against it, you'll be seeing it in the 'For sale' section of the board :D
Last edited by Surger on 24 Sep 2012, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

hoggy

24 Sep 2012, 20:09

Looking smart!

It can take a while to get used to a matrix layout, but it's worth the effort. I think of it as changing cars, if you do it frequently, it's easy, otherwise changing is a bit of a shock.

Surger

24 Sep 2012, 20:59

I was surprised how quickly I picked up most of the letters. The left hand Z, X, C, V and B are the most challenging to relearn and are the only ones I still miss frequently. Not surprising, since the right hand only has to relearn the N and M.

Definitely worth the effort; being able to program keys on the fly, depending on my daily requirements, is a huge plus.

Return to “Keyboards”