Debating CM Quickfire Rapid or a Filco Maestouch 2 TKL

hfcobra

28 Sep 2012, 21:56

Hello, I am new here but I am not new to mechanical keyboards at all. So there is no need to treat me like a newbie to keyboards or anything like that. I have tried Cherry MX blue, brown, black, red, Topre variable (have a minor idea of what 55g Topre feels like due to the Esc key on the variable), Topre 45g, buckling spring, and of course rubber domes. I also have a good feel for keyboards as well so I tend to be a bit particular about what I get and why. Just as an example when I use my Realforce 45g I can feel that not all the keys have the same force required pretty easily. It used to bother me a bit but then I got used to it and now the buttery smoothness is all I feel of course. I love it like I am sure just about everyone has who has tried one does (might not be everyone's favorite, but I am sure it is in the top 2 or 3 for most people). :)

Anyway, back on topic, I am torn between the quality levels of the Filco and the CM keyboards. I would like to replace my Majestouch 1 104 with a Majestouch 2 TKL (or quickfire rapid of course) with browns and also get a cherry MX red board to complete my collection of all the keyboards that I could ever possibly want to type on (I like lighter keys). So what I am asking is what is the advantage of getting a Filco instead of a Quickfire Rapid? I have looked and looked but there does not seem to be much of a difference other than the branding on the keyboards and the fact that the CM has a 2 year warranty while the Filco has a 1 year warranty.

Mostly wondering about how both of them feel. How they feel to type on, weight, quality of construction, etc. So which is better? Are they the same? If they were the same price you would obviously get a Filco for the branding, but if you could ignore the Filco label, would there really be a reason to get one over the other at the same price?

fossala
Elite +1

28 Sep 2012, 22:08

I would say there is something wrong with you realforce if your 45g keys don't feel the same. I know there is the +/-15g but that is just to cover there back. All the topre switches I have tested fall within around 1g of each other (unless it was variable).

Back to your question, you are paying for lack of branding. IMO filco inflated their price because it was "the best" and one of the only mechanical modern keyboards you could get of that quality. Now they have been found out on how much they have been ripping people off because other brands that order from the same people (costar) are now sold for half the price.

Saying all that I would still get a filco over a quickfire because I don't think I could look at a quickfire all day.

hfcobra

29 Sep 2012, 00:11

Well they are now selling them without all the branding so that is why I have started to consider them.

Concerning my Topre though, it is not much. More like some of the keys feel a little more tactile than others. It is very subtle so I do not think that anything is wrong with it. Maybe I should try weights on the keys a little bit to see later anyway.

I will probably get the CM Quickfire Rapid then. Assuming I can get one without the branding.

huttala

29 Sep 2012, 17:10

hfcobra wrote:Well they are now selling them without all the branding so that is why I have started to consider them.

Concerning my Topre though, it is not much. More like some of the keys feel a little more tactile than others. It is very subtle so I do not think that anything is wrong with it. Maybe I should try weights on the keys a little bit to see later anyway.

I will probably get the CM Quickfire Rapid then. Assuming I can get one without the branding.
I've had both. And I like the quick fire better. The quality feels the same, but with the quickfire you get detachable usb, media keys and windows key lock.

Ie you get the same board, with more functions for half the price. And since they have debranded the board it's a no brainer. Just get some nice key caps for the board and you are good to go!

hfcobra

29 Sep 2012, 17:17

huttala wrote:
hfcobra wrote:Well they are now selling them without all the branding so that is why I have started to consider them.

I've had both. And I like the quick fire better. The quality feels the same, but with the quickfire you get detachable usb, media keys and windows key lock.

Ie you get the same board, with more functions for half the price. And since they have debranded the board it's a no brainer. Just get some nice key caps for the board and you are good to go!
Now that's an answer I was looking for! :)

One thing though, do you know where to get blank PBT keycaps? I hate it when my keys do not feel smooth. Either that or some black keys with blacker dye subs like a RF. I really want to get a blank set of keycaps for this keyboard since the font is rather ugly honestly.

swagpiratex

30 Sep 2012, 18:03

If you pm geekfeng at geekhack he can get you black blank pbts. Or you can just cop from his eBay store.

hfcobra

30 Sep 2012, 21:22

It says they his name no longer exists at geekhack. I will just go check out his ebay store then.

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

30 Sep 2012, 21:27

swagpiratex wrote:If you pm geekfeng [...]
Uhhh... You mean Feng...

FJ_Sanchez

30 Sep 2012, 21:49

Are you planning on getting it in EU or USA? I'd like to know if they are sending unbranded CM quickfire Rapid with black plate (I think it's only with red switches) in EU...

hfcobra

01 Oct 2012, 08:04

I was thinking about getting the ANSI verison. Although now I really just want to convince myself that I do not need to own both browns and reds so I can just buy a Filco TKL with browns lol.

Return to “Keyboards”