This happened to my G80 today...

bounce

01 Nov 2012, 03:59

So i had a little accident with my cherry g80-3000:

Im so sad right now...

hoggy

01 Nov 2012, 07:26

Aw man, that's a real downer. How did you do that?

Findecanor

01 Nov 2012, 10:29

I feel for you man. It is practically broken.

Perhaps you could stop the cracks from widening by gluing it with epoxy, and then solder wires between existing solder joints for the broken signal lines, but there seems to be quite a lot of lines that have been broken.

Ascaii
The Beard

01 Nov 2012, 15:57

Is this an older ps2 or a newer USB model? Ive got a few space pcbs with only the bottom housings I can give you for the price of shipping. Its the older PS2 models though.

bounce

01 Nov 2012, 16:13

Uh well, i think it overestimated the stability (guess thats why id require a plate mounted board tbh).
It was a G80-3000HPMDE from 2001 if IIRC but ill check that lateron again, PS2 it is.
It was a good opportunity to learn some soldering since im about to switch from black to blue on my SS7G.
But it was quite a pain to desolder all the switches because they were all 4point soldered.

Ascaii
The Beard

01 Nov 2012, 16:27

You dont need to desolder the PCB mounted g80-3000 boards, just pop open the switches. Would you like the PCB or not?

bounce

01 Nov 2012, 16:37

Thanks for your offer, i will come back to it during next week as i want to see how my customization goes first.
I know i dont have to desolder switches to change the interior on g80 boards but my customization is on a plate mounted 7G
and why should i let switches on a broken G80 PCB.

itlnstln

01 Nov 2012, 16:50

That sucks.

I bet you wish your keyboard was more like your username right now.

Ascaii
The Beard

01 Nov 2012, 17:22

bounce wrote:Thanks for your offer, i will come back to it during next week as i want to see how my customization goes first.
I know i dont have to desolder switches to change the interior on g80 boards but my customization is on a plate mounted 7G
and why should i let switches on a broken G80 PCB.
haha, gotcha xD. Just pm me whenever, ive got two sitting in my shelf.

bounce

01 Nov 2012, 19:11

Anyways i was kinda astounded why every switch was connected with 4 pins, so wirebridge and normal pins.
Anyone can explain this?

Ascaii
The Beard

01 Nov 2012, 20:30

It depends on the wiring...the slot is used for diodes or LEDs on other boards. On some, the slot is empty.

bounce

01 Nov 2012, 21:20

Yea i know about the diodes (and on my 7G they are empty) but why has every switch a wirebridge on that g80?
What does this wirebridge do?

Vierax

01 Nov 2012, 21:24

according to the spec http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/mx.htm it seems to be diode slots. I didn't open my G80-3000 yet but it make sense because there is no led under caps on my KB. But the 3000 has a lot of different versions and some led version must exist.

Vierax

01 Nov 2012, 21:30

bounce wrote:Yea i know about the diodes (and on my 7G they are empty) but why has every switch a wirebridge on that g80?
What does this wirebridge do?
do you mean a wirebridge between each two diode slots ? Are you sure there is no diode included in your MX switches(I don't know if it exist) ?
Maybe it's wired to ease a anti-ghosting modd…

bounce

01 Nov 2012, 21:45

Well, its just a simple wirebridge on every switch, so no diodes or anything special:

Vierax

01 Nov 2012, 22:06

Oh OK, so you can free some space on a PCB if you want to add diodes :)

I think there are no diodes because Cherry G80-3000 is a cheap model, I should check on my recent one.

bounce

01 Nov 2012, 22:12

so these bridges dont serve any purpose but closing the contact for a LED spot?

Vierax

01 Nov 2012, 22:21

not for LED spot, for an anti ghosting diode. But it seems there are holes for the led slots so maybe you can mod them for led lock or retro lighting but you need the proper PCB design to do it.

Ascaii
The Beard

01 Nov 2012, 22:24

FYI, they do serve a purpose...the way the g80-3000 is wired you need the bridge for the matrix to work. On some boards like the black widow there is a seperate set of traces that allow LEDS to be used in the slots.

7bit

01 Nov 2012, 22:31

bounce wrote:Anyways i was kinda astounded why every switch was connected with 4 pins, so wirebridge and normal pins.
Anyone can explain this?
They are used as bridges and for stability.

Just look at your broken PCB.

BTW: What did you do to make it crack?

Vierax

01 Nov 2012, 22:37

7bit wrote:
BTW: What did you do to make it crack?
"Guru Meditation" I guess :D

bounce

01 Nov 2012, 22:52

I trained some shaolin monk technique which is usually practiced with ones head and a brick ^^

But actually i just tripped the wire and stepped on it >_<

Biernot

02 Nov 2012, 19:11

HPMDE --> Throw the board away, get a new L(P/S/Q)CDE and move the caps to the new board.

Or... sell the caps and use the money to get two new G80s to have one in spare if this sort of accident tends to happen more often... :lol:

bounce

02 Nov 2012, 21:57

actually i rly thought about selling the keycaps cuz it seems 1.5x DS modifier (or was it 1.25x?) arent common (no idea tho).
Ill line them up on a sheet and take a picture so ppl can get an idea about condition.
A new G80 is no option for me, the wibby wobbily case was just ebarassing.

IvanIvanovich

03 Nov 2012, 16:42

Poor G80. Too bad you have steelseries. You should sell that and get a nice plate board with ISO and use the doubleshots of the G80 on it. It's what I would do. They are the best keycaps around afterall.

fossala
Elite +1

03 Nov 2012, 18:24

lysol wrote:They are the best keycaps around afterall.
You are forgetting dyesub pbt either Topre, IBM or Cherry.

bounce

03 Nov 2012, 20:04

lysol wrote:Poor G80. Too bad you have steelseries. You should sell that and get a nice plate board with ISO and use the doubleshots of the G80 on it. It's what I would do. They are the best keycaps around afterall.
Thats not a bad idea considering i dont like the backspace on the SS7G but i do like the wrist rest.
But i didnt find anything like that which suites my needs in an acceptable price range.
i may stalk the marketplace a little more to see what i can find.

IvanIvanovich

03 Nov 2012, 20:08

OK, fine. They are the best doubleshots for MX around afterall ;P
I don't know what pricing is like but maybe CM Rapid for tenkeyless, Rosewill 9000 came available in ISO recently, or Ducky 9000 series have ISO models available now also. Otherwise of course there is always Filco but they are so expensive. There may be some other options but I don't follow ISO things as much.

bounce

03 Nov 2012, 20:22

cant find either of them im germany unfortunately, only the QFR but with red switches only.

Vierax

04 Nov 2012, 00:40

bounce wrote:cant find either of them im germany unfortunately, only the QFR but with red switches only.
If you need some qwertz set, I don't use the one of my G80 3000 LQCDE and I'm ready to sell it to you or exchange it for an azerty one if you have to buy a French KB.
If you just need a TKL set it's ok too.

Return to “Keyboards”