New pictures of WASD v2 (tenkeyless)

ne0phyte
Toast.

01 Dec 2012, 03:52

fossala
Elite +1

01 Dec 2012, 04:06

Nice to see dvorak and colemak via dip switch.

GH1391401

01 Dec 2012, 06:54

Only thing I am not excited about is the micro-usb, I think they took a step in the wrong direction. However, looks like an awesome board.

furosuto81

01 Dec 2012, 08:03

It looks...thick & chunky. Not necessarily a bad thing. Now if they made it backlight with an option for ALPS (Matias Quiet Switch), I'd replace the Ducky TKL I just bought.

dirge

01 Dec 2012, 09:08

Stunning! Nice one WASD!

Findecanor

01 Dec 2012, 15:46

GH1391401 wrote:Only thing I am not excited about is the micro-usb
I think that Micro USB is precisely the right choice. If the mechanism breaks, it will be in the cheap plug and not in the jack inside the keyboard.
Mini USB on the other hand, which was used in Leopold keyboards, has the mechanism in the jack. Maybe that is what you are thinking of.
furosuto81 wrote:It looks...thick & chunky.
I don't think that it is necessarily thicker than another Cherry MX tenkeyless. It is just that they did not use any trick to make it look slimmer.
Other keyboards in the same class have the side wall stop a couple of mm above the desk and/or have rounded edges and corners to break up the chunky appearance.

I think that WASD has done everything right with this keyboard, except for perhaps this aspect.
furosuto81 wrote:Now if they made it backlight with an option for ALPS (Matias Quiet Switch), I'd replace the Ducky TKL I just bought.
Cherry and Alps are so different that it would be a completely different keyboard. Regular Alps keys can not be backlit. Any backlit key on a vintage Alps keyboard has special switches that hold a LED or is a wide key with the LED on the side of the switch.

Cherry reps have hinted that Cherry is working on a new kind of mechanical switch, and I am really hoping that it will be a silent type that is compatible with other Cherry MX and without sacrificing the good feel of MX. *fingers crossed*

Daniel Beardsmore

01 Dec 2012, 18:51

That is one sweet board!
GH1391401 wrote:Only thing I am not excited about is the micro-usb, I think they took a step in the wrong direction. However, looks like an awesome board.
It does have cable routing, which means that the plug does not protrude directly from the board where it would be exposed to impact. Route the cable out of a more distant notch and the odds of striking the cable wrenching on the plug is greatly reduced.

It looks to me like a lot of thought has gone into this.

Netdewt

27 Jan 2013, 19:31

This looks awesome. I like the DIP switch options. Will it live up to the excitement?

Gilgam

28 Jan 2013, 08:40

I don't get the point of the dip switch to switch beetween different layout.
Is it not possible via the computer os (i do it everyday on my machines) ?

fossala
Elite +1

28 Jan 2013, 08:45

Gilgam wrote:I don't get the point of the dip switch to switch beetween different layout.
Is it not possible via the computer os (i do it everyday on my machines) ?
Yes, but sometimes it's nice to be able to plug it into a computer and it just work. Say if you go around fixing computers for a living.

sordna

28 Jan 2013, 16:13

Not to mention, it would be a pain having to type QWERTY in the BIOS or in lilo / grub prompts / or when just setting up a new OS or trying a bootable DVD, if you don't like QWERTY. I use Dvorak, and having the layout in the keyboard itself (I use a Kinesis Advantage) is fantastic. Kudos to WASD for adding this option!

Gilgam

28 Jan 2013, 16:56

Ok i got the trick :-)
thanks

Nice keyboard by the way,

Did someone tried the lasered keycaps ?
i played once creating my own layout and colors and it was quite fun.

Burz

31 Jan 2013, 11:03

Matias switches can be backlit (switch bodies are translucent) and they are electronically identical to Cherry MX: simple SPST contact switches. I think the main difference would be in the mounting and soldering holes.

Jmneuv

31 Jan 2013, 12:17

Oh i very much like the pointed front and rear line, that's a very good choice of individualism there.

Cafeine

31 Jan 2013, 22:38

Mmm I was going to buy another kb but I'll wait to see that one. :)

tp4tissue

31 Jan 2013, 23:26

Does anyone know if this case opens with screws, or pressure clips :o

Ishumprod

31 Jan 2013, 23:33

in the last picture if the link i'm pretty sure i see a hole, so prob not with clips.. might be wrong tho

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

02 Feb 2013, 20:09

I recall reading on the WASD Keyboards dedicated section on Geekhack that the the case is designed to be opened easily, and you can open it without voiding the warranty. They also said they were investigating the possibility of having a switch mod-friendly plate like that in the Phantom. If the latter is true, I'll definitely be buying one as soon as they come out.

chimborazo

04 Feb 2013, 03:09

Pocoyó, that makes no sense. how are you going to have a switch mod-friendly plate when they are investigating? Pato ! (duck) hit him in the head. lol

but seriously. for convenience sake, i see no relevant shortcut here. and for the majority of users who can change a layout w/ shift control or shift alt keys i see no utility either.

furthermore, unless you are an accountant i see no point of sdk. but hold it there. its variant pdk is another aminal.

had the latter ever be thought of by these brothers karamasov self-conscious neurons, i'd reconsidered. in the meantime, a pogo stick will suffice. lol

KangarooZombies

04 Feb 2013, 04:20

That is a CLEAN looking TKL board. I'd get one, but I already have a few TKL's.... maybe one more...

Loafers

12 May 2013, 09:41

more pics and estimated release date: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/blog/may2013/

im really thinking about getting mx clear as a quiet gaming/typing alternative to my unicomp buckling spring keyboard.

does anybody know how do the two compare?

Return to “Keyboards”