KBtalking Pure 60 ... where is the AltGR-Key ? (Gentoo)

mcc

03 Dec 2012, 20:30

Hi,

the Subject line says it all: Where is the ALT-GR-key on the KBTalking Pure 60% keyboard or how can
I emulate it on Linux?

Best regards,
mcc

EDIT: Sorry wrong alert! Its all there... my PC recognized it as ALT-GR, only my single board computer seems
still little misconfigured...
Everything is fine ! :)

naisanza

04 Dec 2012, 15:06

I've never used or seen an AltGr key before. What do you do that you need this key, I'm guessing finance or patenting?

Icarium

04 Dec 2012, 15:12

It's necessary for quite common characters like \ on the German layout.

ne0phyte
Toast.

04 Dec 2012, 15:25

Yup - it's essential for the German layout. You need AltGr for these symbols: [ ] { } \ | @

Findecanor

04 Dec 2012, 15:43

The "Alt Gr" key is the same key as the right "Alt" key. It is labeled "Alt Gr" or "Alt Graph" in European layouts because it has a different meaning than the left Alt key.

AFAIK, the Pure should have a right Alt key. Weird placement, though. I think that it should be swapped with the Fn key.

naisanza

04 Dec 2012, 15:48

Ah. I see. It all makes sense now.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Dec 2012, 16:01

Findecanor wrote:The "Alt Gr" key is the same key as the right "Alt" key. It is labeled "Alt Gr" or "Alt Graph" in European layouts because it has a different meaning than the left Alt key.
Does that mean on US keyboards the right and left "Alt" keys have exactly the same function? I thought they had the same lettering only in order to exclude Europeans from Moogle kit group buys :lol:

ne0phyte
Toast.

04 Dec 2012, 16:05

Yes, its exactly the same scancode.
However if you don't have the Alt Gr key you can still press Control + LAlt (on Windows, not sure about *nix) to simulate Alt Gr.
So Ctrl+Alt+Q for example creates an @ just like Alt Gr + Q.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Dec 2012, 16:18

Well, as a European I do have an Alt Gr key. Just did not know the US layout is that poor, thought it just misses the one keycap near the left Shift. How do you type ° on a US keyboard?

fruktstund

04 Dec 2012, 16:28

The placement of [ ] { } is quite retarded on European keyboards in my opinion. For me who programs about eight hours a day ANSI layout is much better, since I don't have to stretch my hands 15km every time I need to reach say { for example.

Anyway, what I want to say is that you don't need an AltGr key on ANSI layout, since there are no characters that require AltGr to write anyway (AltGr is for us Europeans with rich languages that don't simply fit on 105*2 keys :lol:). '°' I'd say is a bad example, since you can't write it easily on a Swedish keyboard either. Although I myself am using US International to write fancy characters like ° and « and even » with the AltGr.

The lack of a right Alt key was one of the reasons I disliked my Poker's layout so much, since I couldn't write å ä and ö easily (without switching to Swedish layout) which I usually write with AltGr. :)

Edit: the forum doesn't want to cooperate with me at the moment it seems. Double posts and stuff.

Return to “Keyboards”