Case discussions

rindorbrot

28 Jan 2013, 21:57

I'd like a case in Black(or even better: Charcoal)/Orange = Skidata Colors with LED-holes.

graboy

29 Jan 2013, 01:17

My vote is for white on black. Renders look amazing.

Edit: With LED holes, but I could care less.

phetto
Elite

29 Jan 2013, 01:32

sup damourge.

I really like the silver/red case design, but how about sharp corners instead of rounded?

graboy

29 Jan 2013, 01:46

Considering the popularity of red and black in general, I think you should give users the choice of red/silver/black for each part of the case. For example, someone could choose to order a case with a silver lower shell, a red middle shell, and a black top. I think everyone would be happy with that, just as long as there is not any confusion due to a large number of unique orders.

Acanthophis

29 Jan 2013, 15:11

Why do people want the LED holes, if you don't care much?
If you don't plan on standoff LEDs, will the two empty holes look...not good?

damorgue

29 Jan 2013, 19:38

I realized it when I made the different variations. I won't be using the LED holes myself at least, which is why I asked. I am going to use windowed caps on the lock keys (as soon as I manage to find any that is). It looks better in my opinion. I may punch a hot needle through a cap to create a tiny hole for now until I can get windowed caps.

Acanthophis

29 Jan 2013, 19:46

That's also my intention. Already have my keycaps for Caps and Scroll lock.
I just picturing it ugly having two empty holes in my case (even on the top).

rindorbrot

29 Jan 2013, 20:03

I'd like to populate both LED spots,but if I had to choose one, I'd just take the ones in-switch.

Just make me a case already! :lol:

BimboBB

29 Jan 2013, 21:25

Wouldnt it be possible to fill the LED holes with some "fake" led's?

el2k

30 Jan 2013, 00:23

I'd say no LED holes.

Also, keep it simple for the case colours? If not, Purple :D

graboy

30 Jan 2013, 01:51

Do you have any information regarding what this may cost? If not, can you give a rough estimate? I'm guessing about $200 USD, but it could be higher or lower than that.

agor

30 Jan 2013, 08:32

I'm also against LED holes

4LI4Z

30 Jan 2013, 11:09

Would it be to expensive to make cutouts for the Filco controller like this? Image
If you would make this cutouts and also a cutout in the plates, I see no reason for uncompatibilty with Filcos and CM QFR.

Acanthophis

30 Jan 2013, 21:54

Didn't read through the whole thread, so sorry if you already answered/said so.

Do you already have an anodising place? Do they have a wide selection of colours?
I'm willing to pay extra if I get to choose a particular colour.

I might be ahead of things, do we have a milling place yet? Prices?
What needs to be done? Any help I/we can offer?

nebo

30 Jan 2013, 22:46

Last note of status was on the 22nd where it was said that the original place that would produce prototypes wasn't going to and someone else was found but the files would have to be modified so I'm guessing either that is still being worked on or a prototype is being made.

Depending on that I think it might be getting to a point to say what designs will/won't be done yes? Try to put an end to requests and all that. With what was on pg 1 + w/wo LED holes is already ten options...

Standard - What you might consider normal or a regular layout.
Arrclus - Only has the arrow cluster opened up to allow for the 5 keys above it to be used
Winkeyless - Has small areas which block and cover up the holes left by the lack of winkeys
Winkeyless_Arrclus - A combination of Winkeyless and Arrclus
7bit - Area above arrowcluster opened and entire F-row open

4LI4Z

31 Jan 2013, 06:57

You're right but it would be no problem to make this cutouts for every plate and case because it won't lead to any incompatibilities.
By the way, are there also plans to make an ISO version?

megaforce93

31 Jan 2013, 10:07

Black/Red/Black gets my vote!

damorgue

31 Jan 2013, 18:21

4LI4Z wrote:You're right but it would be no problem to make this cutouts for every plate and case because it won't lead to any incompatibilities.
By the way, are there also plans to make an ISO version?
ISO? None of them are affected by ISO/ANSI really, as only the Phantom within affects it.
nebo wrote: Depending on that I think it might be getting to a point to say what designs will/won't be done yes? Try to put an end to requests and all that. With what was on pg 1 + w/wo LED holes is already ten options...
I have sent the drawings to the othermanufacturer, and am awaiting their response. I have left some parts undefined to allow them to suggest the specification which suits them best on alloy-quality and some other parameters.
nebo wrote: Standard - What you might consider normal or a regular layout.
Arrclus - Only has the arrow cluster opened up to allow for the 5 keys above it to be used
Winkeyless - Has small areas which block and cover up the holes left by the lack of winkeys
Winkeyless_Arrclus - A combination of Winkeyless and Arrclus
7bit - Area above arrowcluster opened and entire F-row open
Yes, there are many variations. I can add some special requests like "ctrl key less" and cutout for filco to the list. Hopefully some can be eliminated

damorgue

31 Jan 2013, 18:23

Acanthophis wrote: Do you already have an anodising place? Do they have a wide selection of colours?
I'm willing to pay extra if I get to choose a particular colour.
I have one nearby I have used before, but the manufacturer I most recently tried is far away and has contacts of their own for anodizing.
Acanthophis wrote: I might be ahead of things, do we have a milling place yet? Prices?
What needs to be done? Any help I/we can offer?
I have gotten a few quotes, but no decent ones.

Acanthophis

31 Jan 2013, 21:27

What's not decent? >200€?

damorgue

31 Jan 2013, 21:55

Acanthophis wrote:What's not decent? >200€?
Not even close, but it was for the prototype and they wanted to cover their risks in case no large order would follow on which to distribute the prototype costs. Some have been expensive to the degree that I don't even believe them to get down to 200€ even in the actual production run and I moved on.

It has been claimed that the one I have now asked for a quote could do the prototypes at material cost. I'd still like a quote from them for the production run though.

Ishumprod

31 Jan 2013, 22:21

i may be totally out of the topic but i wish i could help.. i'm located in europe, and i have a charlyrobo and ( possibly ) a CNC mill that i can use at my school.

i'm located in swizerland, so if this can help anyone i would be happy to help you.

Acanthophis

31 Jan 2013, 22:27

If that happens, I want a "Made in Switzerland" tag engraved on the bottom of my case.
For bragging rights when I show the girls my keyboard collection :lol:

Ishumprod

31 Jan 2013, 22:30

and if this happens, i guarantee you'll get a "swiss quality" seal on the case :)

damorgue

31 Jan 2013, 22:41

Ishumprod wrote:and if this happens, i guarantee you'll get a "swiss quality" seal on the case :)
YGPM

If anyone else has any contacts in a machine shop with access to a CNC machine, please feel free to contact me.

Gilgam

31 Jan 2013, 23:17

Going on this case discussion.
How do you fix the plate in that case, and in the lister's one (acrylic layers) ?

i don't get the point

damorgue

31 Jan 2013, 23:28

In milled concept A, it is screwed through the holes in the plate to the top piece to fix its position. It is also supported in the plate edges for rigidity where the Filco plate is instead bent.

The sheet case was a demonstration of how the pieces can be stacked more efficiently on a sheet if they are divided. It also suggests a way to hide the split lines which arise from this method. The intention was to screw the plate one of the layers, but there was no interest in it and it was discontinued. I kept it there as a proof of concept for future sheet based solutions which are free to use these two main ideas presented by it. (Feel free to steal the rest of it too, but the rest of it is trivial.)

Jmneuv

31 Jan 2013, 23:29

I think led holes would make it less precious looking. Especially beveled holes + round leds look rather cheap and also collect dust in the pit.
There's this flush fitting with flat matte led tops, those could work.
Same goes for filcos.

damorgue

31 Jan 2013, 23:35

Jmneuv wrote:I think led holes would make it less precious looking. Especially beveled holes + round leds look rather cheap and also collect dust in the pit.
There's this flush fitting with flat matte led tops, those could work.
Same goes for filcos.
I too prefer them without the extra LED holes.

Interesting point about dust. I just considered them to be superflouos to some of us but they might have a negative impact other than just being an unnecessary feature.

The flat top LEDs are propably only possible if we decide on a type and dimension, and even then I am afraid that there will still be a small gap around it. Assemble would be made more difficult too.
Last edited by damorgue on 31 Jan 2013, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

Ishumprod

31 Jan 2013, 23:38

i see this as a clear, clean case, and i too think that led holes break a bit the concept :(

Return to “Keyboards”