The Oracle Answers

PollandAkuma

25 Nov 2016, 20:48

Oh mighty Oracle! Is it weird that I find the "Y" key to be too far for comfort? Will ortholinear be the answer or should I just learn to toucn-type better?

zslane

26 Nov 2016, 22:43

Oh mighty Oracle! Am I correct in understanding that there are no 61-key boards on the market with Topre switches?

(The HHKB has 60 keys and a non-standard layout, so I'm not counting it for the purposes of this question.)

Hypersphere

26 Nov 2016, 22:47

The HHKB layout is the standard layout as far as I am concerned! ;)

(But I didn't realize this until actually trying it.)

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

30 Nov 2016, 12:26

Are there keycaps in cherry profile (or non oem profile) which are backlight compatible aka have translucent legends?

Orpheo

05 Dec 2016, 23:18

Oh mighty Oracle! I am struggling to find me answer to this! Is there on earth winkeyless RGB or CMY mods in row 5 cherry? My damn needy OG Olivetti and OG dyesub cry me a styx river for doubleshots white or dyesub! The worst part is me need ISO shift on top of this inferno! Oh Desko, Desko, Desko.

PollandAkuma

07 Dec 2016, 13:06

Ey yo oracle, is ortho is shit dawg

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 Dec 2016, 13:08

PollandAkuma wrote: Ey yo oracle, is ortho is shit dawg
:!:
Last edited by seebart on 07 Dec 2016, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

scottc

07 Dec 2016, 13:10

I think PollandAkuma meant to ask "is ortho THE shit?" which is an honest question. :D

seebart

07 Dec 2016, 13:12

Ahh I see. My bad then. Orpheo is nominated in DTA6 so he is "in tha game".

scottc

07 Dec 2016, 13:33

Ooh I see, I didn't see that. I assumed we were talking about ortholinear layouts.

In other news, I'm not a fan of ortholinear layouts. I think things like the Planck are a bit of a fad and probably not too ergonomic (even if they look quite cool). If you really care about ergonomics, columnar stagger is probably much better. If you want something that looks quite small and tidy or want to try out a different typing style then ortholinear layouts might be good for you.

Before an ergonomics expert jumps on me, this is just my opinion and I don't claim to be an expert.

From the Planck creator on Reddit (for some reason JackHumbert's comment was downvoted so you have to expand it, looks like it's a response to a deleted post):
I've found that non-split ortholinear layouts are slightly better than non-split staggered ones, but both still fall short of a split keyboard of any kind. That type of ergonomics isn't really the goal with either of these keyboards, and are better solved by the Ergodox, or /u/blahlicus's Diverge Keyboard.

Orpheo

07 Dec 2016, 18:26

seebart wrote: Ahh I see. My bad then. Orpheo is nominated in DTA6 so he is "in tha game".
Hehe! I will take better photos so I can win that Wingnut next year!

seebart

07 Dec 2016, 18:43

Orpheo wrote:
seebart wrote: Ahh I see. My bad then. Orpheo is nominated in DTA6 so he is "in tha game".
Hehe! I will take better photos so I can win that Wingnut next year!
Your photo's are more than fine and DTA6 is not over yet! :ugeek:

bearwool

08 Dec 2016, 06:00

I have a question. I've just bought a G80-3112HAG. I can't find any information about it. Is it real? and why there is not much info about it?

PollandAkuma

08 Dec 2016, 13:46

scottc wrote: Ooh I see, I didn't see that. I assumed we were talking about ortholinear layouts.

In other news, I'm not a fan of ortholinear layouts. I think things like the Planck are a bit of a fad and probably not too ergonomic (even if they look quite cool). If you really care about ergonomics, columnar stagger is probably much better. If you want something that looks quite small and tidy or want to try out a different typing style then ortholinear layouts might be good for you.

Before an ergonomics expert jumps on me, this is just my opinion and I don't claim to be an expert.

From the Planck creator on Reddit (for some reason JackHumbert's comment was downvoted so you have to expand it, looks like it's a response to a deleted post):
I've found that non-split ortholinear layouts are slightly better than non-split staggered ones, but both still fall short of a split keyboard of any kind. That type of ergonomics isn't really the goal with either of these keyboards, and are better solved by the Ergodox, or /u/blahlicus's Diverge Keyboard.
Yeah, that was my question. But with all the cool stuff coming out for the planck (eg. the planck case IC on GH) I feel like getting a planck would be better than an Atreus... or is that really so :P

Menuhin

08 Dec 2016, 14:23

hypkx wrote: Are there keycaps in cherry profile (or non oem profile) which are backlight compatible aka have translucent legends?
I also want to know this, Oracle.
I spot this but have no way / don't know how to communicate with the seller to confirm that this is Cherry profile.
https://world.taobao.com/item/37639444673.htm

bearwool

08 Dec 2016, 14:47

Menuhin wrote:
hypkx wrote: Are there keycaps in cherry profile (or non oem profile) which are backlight compatible aka have translucent legends?
I spot this but have no way / don't know how to communicate with the seller to confirm that this is Cherry profile.
I think that keyboard uses OEM profile. My friend bought some keyboards like this, all of them use OEM profile.

paecific.jr

08 Dec 2016, 21:16

O great and powerful Oracle!

I submit to thy great wisdom.

I hath purchased a Hall Effect keyboard! Alas, it uses a ribbon cable to connect!

To whom do I go to for teaching on the conversion of said keyboard?

Thank thee oh wise Oracle

Khers

08 Dec 2016, 21:18

At this point in time, no one. You'll have to put your faith into XMIT making some more progress over here: workshop-f7/converting-my-wang-t12379.html

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

08 Dec 2016, 21:55

My ears are ringing.

Hi paecific.jr! Sure, please update that thread that Khers pointed to with some photos of your board and I'll see what I can do!

:lol: :roll:

Rimrul

08 Dec 2016, 22:24

Menuhin wrote:
I think the only option are Cherry MX board 8.0 keycaps.

combataran

22 Dec 2016, 05:29

Here's a price check. How much does a used Novatouch go for nowadays?

Phenix
-p

10 Jan 2017, 18:30

hypkx wrote:Are there keycaps in cherry profile (or non oem profile) which are backlight compatible aka have translucent legends?
Vortex PBT.
but ansi

gogusrl

10 Jan 2017, 21:06

I got a phantom pcb and I'm itching to do a split spacebar layout but I'm not sure how to split it up.

Going all 1.5 / 1u on the bottom row doesn't sound much fun but I'm not sure that I have a choice.

An option I was thinking about is to cut the plate for 7bit's bottom row but add 7u spacebar stabs as well so If I don't like it I can just desolder a few switches and throw a regular spacebar in without changing the plate.

Another option is to just mod the pcb for those 2 switches (and go 2.75 / 2 / 2.25 with 1.5 mods or 2.75 / 1.25 / 2.25 with 1.25 mods).

edit : make that 3 switches that I have to mod, the middle one (obviously now) doesn't fit either.

Godini

17 Jan 2017, 05:18

Hey yo Great and Omnisciencent Oracle, I'm lookin' for either a tenkeless or smaller that

1: Isn't ugly (aka needs to be white)

2: Has cherry MX browns

3: Has RGB lighting

4: Isn't $400 (Cheapest you can get without being just bad really, I can mod it later if need be).

Scarpia

17 Jan 2017, 12:57

@Godini: Sounds like what you're after is a Plum84. They come with Gaterons, not Cherry, but that's what a lot of people prefer anyway:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Plum87- ... 58025.html

gogusrl

17 Jan 2017, 22:55

Ok, I think I figured something that might work without butchering the pcb.

I present you this monster the 1.25 1.25 1.25 2 2 1.5 1 2 1.25 1.25 1.25 split (which should be fully compatible with the phantom).

Godini

18 Jan 2017, 00:02

Scarpia wrote: @Godini: Sounds like what you're after is a Plum84. They come with Gaterons, not Cherry, but that's what a lot of people prefer anyway:

Ooh, it's got shit keycaps, but the rest I can work with.

Good lookin out not-oracle! :twisted:

Scarpia

19 Jan 2017, 16:01

Godini wrote:
Scarpia wrote: @Godini: Sounds like what you're after is a Plum84. They come with Gaterons, not Cherry, but that's what a lot of people prefer anyway:

Ooh, it's got shit keycaps, but the rest I can work with.

Good lookin out not-oracle! :twisted:
Oh yeah, they come with utter garbage robot-font keycaps, but I figure most DT users dress their MX boards in custom caps anyway ;) I hope it suits your needs.

Phenix
-p

19 Jan 2017, 17:35

gogusrl wrote:Ok, I think I figured something that might work without butchering the pcb.

I present you this monster the 1.25 1.25 1.25 2 2 1.5 1 2 1.25 1.25 1.25 split (which should be fully compatible with the phantom).

and from where are you going to source the plate?
(i also like these split layouts..

gogusrl

19 Jan 2017, 17:44

The plate will be custom cut locally or with the lasergist guys. Another option is to combine the 3 small keys in the middle for a 3.5u key but where would I source something like that ?

edit :
more options

edit 2 : forgot about spacebar mounting points :)
I think gogu4 is the one even with that 0.25 empty space.

Return to “Keyboards”